Very Sad News

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 18-year-old son dropped my 5-week-old 2008 last week. He's home from college and rode it once during Thanksgiving and another time the week before the great slip-up. The second I told him it was ok to ride it, I knew that i had effed up. When my cell phone rang 5 minutes later, I knew it was trouble. He was taking it off the center stand and was too heaving. Breaks my damn heart. Only thing that kept me from going ape-shit was how bad he feels.
I hope ya smacked him good!

Not for dropping it...but attempting to get it off the centerstand (assumedly) without sitting astride the bike.

Otherwise, howinhell can ya drop it when getting down from the c-stand?

Unless his feet were up on the pegs when he rocked it off the c-stand. In that case, you should smack him for THAT, too! :D

Whether or not he's asking for it, dzuber76 has my sympathy, if for no other reason than because the value of his machine dropped when the bike hit the pavement.

No it didn't.

The folks who buy FJRs know that knocks happen and understand the difference between cosmetic appearance and good mechanical function.

My 18-year-old son dropped my 5-week-old 2008 last week. He's home from college and rode it once during Thanksgiving and another time the week before the great slip-up. The second I told him it was ok to ride it, I knew that i had effed up. When my cell phone rang 5 minutes later, I knew it was trouble. He was taking it off the center stand and was too heaving. Breaks my damn heart. Only thing that kept me from going ape-shit was how bad he feels.
I hope ya smacked him good!

Not for dropping it...but attempting to get it off the centerstand (assumedly) without sitting astride the bike.

Otherwise, howinhell can ya drop it when getting down from the c-stand?

Unless his feet were up on the pegs when he rocked it off the c-stand. In that case, you should smack him for THAT, too! :D
When he was rocking it off the center stand, he misjudged the weight. Smacked her against the cement on the right side.

Whether or not he's asking for it, dzuber76 has my sympathy, if for no other reason than because the value of his machine dropped when the bike hit the pavement.

No it didn't.

The folks who buy FJRs know that knocks happen and understand the difference between cosmetic appearance and good mechanical function.
You are a good kidder. Nice joke!

Haven't dropped it yet but have had it only 7 or 8 months. No problems while it's stationary or with slow speed maneuvers. A patch of gravel almost ruined the day once.

But, I ride like an old woman.

come on fess up droppers. How many of you we able to pickup the dropped FJR all by yourself?? Interested to know.
I won't even try. I've been putting off needed back surgery, and picking up the fat girl would blow out a few discs tout suite. My old FJ1100 wasn't too hard to pick up tho.

Almost dropped it last evening pulling out Middendorfs parking lot onto highway 51.

I geared up and the pick'em'up truck next to me wanted to load and go.

I pull on helmet and safety glasses and push a few feet away from their passenger door.

They start up and slowly pull away. I'm looking to set GPS and crank up and let warm up a minute.

Now my glasses are fogged, and truck is in front of me.

He goes to the driveway and turns right. I kinda follow at a distance, hoping I am clear to pull out without stopping.

I drift left to turn left and run off the driveway into some gravel...dumb dumb with foggy glasses

bars turn right to head back on the ashphalt and front washes a bit and tilts right. I stop and catch it.

Luckily my boots had good purchase on the surface and the tank was maybe 1/3 full. I've noticed a big big diff with full tank and less then half...40# of high set liquid and all.

Should have stopped and readjusted as soon as glasses fogged.

Live and learn...AGAIN !!! :blink:

I have a dirt biker racer back from my 20's and have failed miserably picking up the beast alone. I always ask for 2 others to assist me in the herculean task.

Last edited by a moderator:
Mine's been dropped twice and crashed twice. The first crash it went under an armco and took four guys to free it up. The others I picked it up by myself. You face away from the bike, put your butt up against the seat, and use your legs to walk it up. No back strain, using the quads. Strongest muscles in your body. Just be sure to stop once it's up, don't go over the other side.

Gurls can pick up a bike bike that way. Of course, mine has fewer accessories than Mike's. Maybe if he removed everything from the front he could pick it up OK!!! :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Almost dropped it last evening pulling out Middendorfs parking lot onto highway 51.

Man, I love Middendorf's. Best thin-sliced fried catfish -- ever.
yep...under new ownership who are wise enuf to leave things alone

I favor their fresh broiled Gulf flounder which I love and only know 2 places who have it

Do :rolleyes: a search on You Tube for "pick up Motorcycle". You'll see several videos on there showing the technique. One man or woman job. Easy!!

Do :rolleyes: a search on You Tube for "pick up Motorcycle". You'll see several videos on there showing the technique. One man or woman job. Easy!!

Yep, I know how it's done and have done it easily, but with a bad back and a 50lb lifting restriction, I'm gonna find a girl to pick it up if I drop it :lol:

Had my 82 XJ750J for 25 years, never dropped it. Had my 07 FJR 6 months fell over in a parking lot. Sucked but what are you going to do?