vibration and new plugs

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you!

I didn't gap the plugs, as per mention on the board, but I'll try swapping the injectors.

I don't recall anymore for certain, but I believe I had the vibes before the incident.

I tried techron, no change also I recently checked the air filter and it was really clean in there.

I'll check the plug wire as you suggest for the resistance values. Just to make certain, I stick the red probe in to the coil end of the wire and the black to the engine block?

Thank you again!

Black sooty plugs indicate a rich cylinder or an improperly firing cylinder.
Try only one of the following at a time! This will help traceability of 'I did this, and this is what happened'.

Given the age of your motorcycle you can't rule out an injector that is not fully closing. You can swap injectors and see if the black plug syndrome follows the injector. Less telling but not harmful is to try some Seafoam or Techron and see if it frees up/cleans a sticky injector.

You say you have Iridium plugs and also mentioned "Plug 3 looked black sooty, though it wasn't really out of alignment". The center electrode of Iridium plugs is very delicate and it is not recommended to either check or gap the plugs. If you have done this you may have damaged the plug. Try swapping the plug with #4 and see if the black plug syndrome follows the plug.

Cyls #2 & #3 share the same coil; if the coil were defective the problem would effect both cylinders. If you have an ohm meter, unplug caps #2 & #3; stick the probes up into the caps and read roughly 32k ohms to 40k ohms. If you can read this value range the plug caps, wires and coil are most likely fine. There is an outside chance that a plug wire may be chaffed and shorting out at high voltages. Try the simple things first, the plug wires are part of the coil and you will have to change the coil to get new plug wires.

Pull out the air filter and confirm that there are no mouse nests, wasp nests or equivalent inside the #3 induction tube restricting air flow, this would also cause a rich cylinder. Could your little incident have dislodged something that got sucked down the #3 intake tube?

Well, these are a few guesses to run with. Good luck!

Thanks Radman!

I'll try this next. Great idea!

The plug wires screw into the cap that connects to the plug-often pulling on the wire pulls the wire from the cap and creates a large gap the spark has to jump to fire the plug-like having a 50k resistor inline. The plug will fire at idle and under very light load-but as soon as chamber pressures climb, a mis-fire occurs, the plug gets cold, self cleaning stops, and the plugs take on the appearance you describe. Unscrew the cap from wire, snip 1/2 inch from the wire, and screw the cap in tight. Check the others as well for tightness. Whever I change plugs now I check each wire for a good fit, and find they almost always take another 1/2 turn.

ESP,Check out your wiring harness... it can do some strange intermittent problmes:

https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...mp;#entry268059
Hey, Thanks...I'm going to check this out.

Last night I pulled the plugs to check them again. They're all pretty good I think. The #3 plug was ever so slightly differently colored than the others. But they all had a white tip and the base was black.

I touched the TB of #3 and it rode smoother last night. But this am, it got really vibey on the way to work.

Is there anyone in NYC area that can help me do the TBS this week. I'm planning on riding up Friday morning to Lake George for Americade.

Thanks

You still haven't described the accident. That might help. Everyone is diagnosing without the knowledge of the accident. What happened? What was damaged? Who did the repairs? How many times has the bike overheated on you? Did you change the oil after it overheated? Did you put pants on left leg first or right? What are you wearing right now? Etc. Etc. Etc. :p

LOL...

actually, I had another thread way back when the incident happened.. you mean you don't remember? lol

The vibes were present before the incident though. Anyway...

I got sideswiped on the right side by a car travelling at 10 mph. (we just pulled away at the light and he went left and there I was) I and the bike slid the distance of about half the intersection. (15-20 feet?)

Bike got up to 6 bars, I stopped engine in heavy traffic. Let it cool. Continued another few minutes home. Brought to dealer next day. Had service done. The only damage other than cosmetic was to the radiator fan which jammed. I had Yamaha replace the fan.

I changed the oil again last night. Checked the plugs.

I usually have my pants on top of my boots and take a running jump from the side of my bed, thus both feet at the same time. (but my left leg may be a little longer)

You still haven't described the accident. That might help. Everyone is diagnosing without the knowledge of the accident. What happened? What was damaged? Who did the repairs? How many times has the bike overheated on you? Did you change the oil after it overheated? Did you put pants on left leg first or right? What are you wearing right now? Etc. Etc. Etc. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Ion... you get the prize.

I dound a local repair shop. He plugged the bike into his gas analyzer/gizmo box which reported a bad injector.

Question: He offered a complete service on the bike for $250 (change all fluids...once over all seals..flush hydraulics..etc) and he would also take the injector and run a high pressure cleaning through it.

What's the value to cleaning the injector vs. just changing the injector?

Thanks,

ESP

Black sooty plugs indicate a rich cylinder or an improperly firing cylinder.
Try only one of the following at a time! This will help traceability of 'I did this, and this is what happened'.

Given the age of your motorcycle you can't rule out an injector that is not fully closing. You can swap injectors and see if the black plug syndrome follows the injector. Less telling but not harmful is to try some Seafoam or Techron and see if it frees up/cleans a sticky injector.

You say you have Iridium plugs and also mentioned "Plug 3 looked black sooty, though it wasn't really out of alignment". The center electrode of Iridium plugs is very delicate and it is not recommended to either check or gap the plugs. If you have done this you may have damaged the plug. Try swapping the plug with #4 and see if the black plug syndrome follows the plug.

Cyls #2 & #3 share the same coil; if the coil were defective the problem would effect both cylinders. If you have an ohm meter, unplug caps #2 & #3; stick the probes up into the caps and read roughly 32k ohms to 40k ohms. If you can read this value range the plug caps, wires and coil are most likely fine. There is an outside chance that a plug wire may be chaffed and shorting out at high voltages. Try the simple things first, the plug wires are part of the coil and you will have to change the coil to get new plug wires.

Pull out the air filter and confirm that there are no mouse nests, wasp nests or equivalent inside the #3 induction tube restricting air flow, this would also cause a rich cylinder. Could your little incident have dislodged something that got sucked down the #3 intake tube?

Well, these are a few guesses to run with. Good luck!