Vote for my Windscreen

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agrats84

Reaction score
Yes, I searched and read all of the posts, but wanted something more personal...

I am 6'1, 32" inseam, ride with the stock seat in the top position and have stock handlebars. I've narrowed it down to a Cal Sci, Rifle, or Cee Bailey... :rolleyes: ... and that remains my dilemma. My only requirements are minimal wind noise and as stock looking as possible. I am open to any and all suggestions. Whatever I get the most recommendations on I will buy!

Yes, I searched and read all of the posts, but wanted something more personal...
I am 6'1, 32" inseam, ride with the stock seat in the top position and have stock handlebars. I've narrowed it down to a Cal Sci, Rifle, or Cee Bailey... :rolleyes: ... and that remains my dilemma. My only requirements are minimal wind noise and as stock looking as possible. I am open to any and all suggestions. Whatever I get the most recommendations on I will buy!

Buy yourself a Schuberth S1 helmet.

R

he has a point there.

If you want it to look stock the helmet will help with buffeting and wind noise.

I myself am want to go with a flip but I am not sure which one yet.

I have narrowed it down to riffle or Cee Bailey myself.

I'll chime in. I am 6'2" with a 32 inch inseam also. I have a Russel Day Long seat that moves me forward some but not much higher. I have a Cee Bailey +4 +4 Contour with flip. If I want to really quiet things down in the cockpit I raise the shield up all the way and then there is very little noise. I usually ride with the windscreen about half way up as this is a good compromise between noise and airflow on hot days.

I also have a +4 +3 with no flip and I am trying to sell it as it is not very quiet at any setting. It does have good protection but is a little too noisey for my taste. The screen with no flip looks closest to stock. The flip screen does not at all but does look ok.

Hope that helps some.

IMO, no windscreen that offers the protection you are looking for will look like a stock sport touring screen. It's gonna look like a touring screen.

Thus, if you are going to get a touring screen, go with the V-Stream. Ultra quiet.

IMO, no windscreen that offers the protection you are looking for will look like a stock sport touring screen. It's gonna look like a touring screen.
Thus, if you are going to get a touring screen, go with the V-Stream. Ultra quiet.
Gunny!

I like mine, but I'm only 5'-11".

Last edited by a moderator:
As stated here, probably not going to find a replacement windscreen that looks as sleek as stock and offers much more protection against wind noise.

Combination of helmet change and less radical windscreen replacement might be the best compromise.

Researching this website and others, having just ok previous experience with Rifle and Cee Bailey, and seeing more than a few complaints with the V-Stream vibration issues, I'm using a Cal Scientific (size large) for my 2007 FJR. I"m 6' 1" with a 33" inseam and am using risers with a Sargent seat in top position. I use a Shoei RF1000 helmet with earplugs.

This combination works very well for me. It provides sufficient noise reduction and buffeting for my personal preference and does not overly compromise the look of the bike. The FJR has such a great balance of sport and functional appearance that it was a consideration in the windscreen selection process.

If you want quiet....CalSci.

You may also enjoy the "taper" shape as it isn't as large at the top (like the Rifle or CeeBailey).

You may also enjoy the "taper" shape as it isn't as large at the top (like the Rifle or CeeBailey).
I met a fellow on an 06 last weekend who had the large cal-sci (with the hole in it) and he was probably about 6' and he absoulty raved about it. I cannot comment on the functionality, but I was impressed how stout/well made looking it was and how clear it was.

+1 CalSci

I'm 6'2" 32" inseam, and the CalSci XL works better (for me) than the CB +4 flip. IMO, the CB flip was more attractive, but created more turbulence (for me).

CB 4+2 flip for me, 6'2" 33 inseam does just fine for me.
I am 6', 32 inseam. Recently finished a BunBurnerGold 1500 followed by another 2200 mile trip to the Grand Canyon...using the Cee Bailey +4 +4 with the "flip" on my '08, with a Russell seat. I am not happy with this windshield in any position except the lowest...just too much damn noise and buffetting for my liking. For this reason, I just ordered the tall CalSci shield. I hope that it will be quieter when it is raised. I will be happy to give you a side-by-side comparison, and in fact will be happy to sell the Cee Bailey if you are at all interested.

Marc

I am 5'10" about 29 or 30" inseam, I think that I sit fairly upright, as I sit right near that tank and mostly hold my spine straight due to back issues.

I have the Cal Sci Large and pretty happy with it. Putting the screen about 1/2 way up or a bit more, wind noise drops dramatically. With the screen just a little higher, the wind is tossed completely over the top of my helmet, and I still look 2" or so above the screen to the road. It isn't in the way at all.

Fit perfectly, came well packed and include a screen cleaning cloth and some cleaner in a spray bottle.

And you can try it and send back if you don't like it. Wrap the shield in kitchen wrap plastic, bolt it on and go for a ride.

I be interested in trying other screens, but I'd be very surprised if you can do better on an FJR.

Audi has a good windshield. And when you close the windows it's crystal quiet.

Well, lessee...

My BMS puts me about 2" higher than stock. My helmet of choice has been a Shoei Multitec and I've tried to cure the noise with various screens. Stock, stock with a Rifle turner, Cee Bailey +2 +2 flip, CB +2 +2 flip with the RT, CB +4 +4 flip, CB +4 +4 with the RT, CalSci +6, CS +6 with the RT... All I learned is that the Multitec is one noisy helmet and none of those combos were very good. In fact, some were just plain nasty.

As Fairlaner suggested, a Schuberth S1 might be my answer and I picked one up for a song from extremesupply.com on closeout.

Well, I tried all of the above combinations in reverse order with the S1 and guess what? With the stock screen, full down and no tuning block, the noise is almost - almost, mind you - gone. I still feel the need to try one or two more screens (most notably CalSci +2 and +41/2) to help with wind blast, but for now, I'm pretty happy.

What's the lesson for the OP? Simple: Whatever advice or suggestions that you may get in answer to your question need to be qualified to some extent by mixing in your particulars - helmet, height off seat, seating position, etc.

All I can say is good fucking luck and prepare to spend beau coup bucks.

spend beau coup bucks.

Ya looked that up in a book, didn't ya, twn? Don't lie...........

6'3" 36 inseam

No aftermarket screen I've tried (Cal-Sci, Rifle, V-stream) works as well as a cut down stock screen.

The aftermarkets all buffet. The cut down stock gives steady non-turbulent air.