Walther PPK .380 ACP

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ramrezz425

Reaction score
I have a Walther PPK 9mm (or so I think), That I need to know the actual value. It is a USA model by interarms and I dont need it anymore. It was rarely fired and definatly needs cleaning,

I would hope to sell it and NeilSanDiego who has alot of guns had a catalog but it was 10 years old, I had this gun since 2001 when I divorced my 2nd wife, she kept one I got the other. I suppose its not as valuable as an actual german gun but its still cool. Anyone who knows the market on guns or how to sell it, I would love to get contact from. I also have a 22cal. sat. night special and a Ruger 22cal Long Rifle with a Day and Night scope with 4 magazines. dr

From Untitled AlbumFJR"> From Untitled AlbumFJR">

That actually looks like a .380. You can go to gunbroker.com and see what the asking prices are for them. It's like an eBay for guns.

Rick

Do a search on Gunbroker.com -- auction site that will give you a good idea of what they've sold for, as well as provide a place to sell them. Also check out calguns.net to ask questions, understand California's esoteric handgun restrictions (for sale in state) and even to list for sale.

Edit to add -- I see Rickysnickers beat me to the enter key. Another auction site is auctionarms.com. I can't tell from those small pics if it's a .380 and don't know enough about Walthers to readily tell you if that model was made in 9mm. BUT if it says "9mm short" or "9mm kurtz" on the slide, that's a .380, aka .380ACP (for "Automatic Colt Pistol"). If marked simply as 9mm or "9mm Parabellum" or "9mm Luger" or "9x19" then that is what is commonly known as a 9mm.

Last edited by a moderator:
I haven't seen a 9mm Walther PPK yet - now that doesn't mean there aren't any, but the only one's I have seen or handled have been .380 ACP.

Easy to confuse .380 ACP with a 9mm. The casing dia. and length are approx the same (or very close), but the "bullet" itself for the 9mm is a lot bigger than a .380 ACP.

There was a time when I wanted to have one of these. It is after all James Bond's gun.
tongue.gif

Although, not anymore - concealed carry is all but a pipe dream in California and the PPK excels in that regard.

If it was home defense I wanted a handgun for I would like anything > = .40 cal.

I haven't seen a 9mm Walther PPK yet - now that doesn't mean there aren't any, but the only one's I have seen or handled have been .380 ACP.

Easy to confuse .380 ACP with a 9mm. The casing dia. and length are approx the same (or very close), but the "bullet" itself for the 9mm is a lot bigger than a .380 ACP.

There was a time when I wanted to have one of these. It is after all James Bond's gun.
tongue.gif

Although, not anymore - concealed carry is all but a pipe dream in California and the PPK excels in that regard.

If it was home defense I wanted a handgun for I would like anything > = .40 cal.
+1 on the 40 cal or >, Very happy with my HK P-30 LEM V-2 40 cal.Great gun for CC plus in Pa with a clear background and taxes paid you get the CC licens in 30 days. :D

Your gun is a PPK .380 cal.

It is smaller than the PPK/S which will carry one more round. At one time the PPK could not be imported because it was too small in size. So they started building the PPK/S which is a PP frame with a PPK slide, and added the little bottom to one magazine.

Then they started manufacturing the PPK in the US so it could be sold. Currently it is made under license to Smith & Wesson. Some dealers/buyers feel the pre S&W (Interarms imports) versions are more desirable because of smoother actions. I've has 5 PPKs and 1 PPK/S. None were German pre 68 guns. It seemed the quality went down with each newer gun, but the S & W seemed OK. Yes, it would be more valuable if it was made in Germany, especially pre 68.

Small caliber, but I can hit what I point at with out using sights. I'm talking .22 cal shell box at 30 feet 4 out of 5 times. Walther PPKs have always been that way for me, so I used them for backup and concealed carry. Good belly gun. Then I got old and don't shoot so good, so I make up for it with a Para .45

I traded a Walther PPK (S & W) a few months ago and got about $400 which is what I paid for it about 10 years ago. Dealer promptly sold it for $495. I see new ones are up around $600 locally.

Walther PP, PPK, and PPK/S are variants of a well-made German "mouse gun".

The PPK came in .32 and .380 (9mm Kurz - confused with 9mm Parabelum at great danger to the operator).

The PPK/S came about as a result of certain import restrictions placed on mfgrs by the BATF. It's essentially a PPK modified to meet the minimum dimension restrictions.

The PP, which came first, is actually larger than the PPK (1929 - 1945).

Since the mid-80s, the 3 are also manufactured in the US by Smith & Wesson under license to Walther.

In today's market they are moderately large for their calibre as well as being heavier because of the lack of polymers in their construction.

https://world.guns.ru/handguns/hg/de/walther-pp-and-ppk-e.html

https://www.waltherpistols.com/category/41-Walther_PPK_Handguns.aspx

Confirming the date of manufacture (via serial number with Walther) could tell you where it was made as well as when and possible affect the value positively.

ZZzzip, you rat! Ya beat me to the send by fractions.

If anyone is interested, I will let the PPk go for $375

There are 3 hollow point bullets as well with this gun. thanks dr

If anyone is interested, I will let the PPk go for $375. There are 3 hollow point bullets as well with this gun. thanks dr
better check your state laws. keeping the sale to just those residents of CA may not even be enough. other states will require compliance with both state's (and fed) restriction as well as using FFLs on each end of the transfer. given CA's past history it might also require an FFL and a NICS check even when it's 2 CA state residents. a local gun shop will tell you what's needed to avoid entanglements.

better check your state laws. keeping the sale to just those residents of CA may not even be enough. other states will require compliance with both state's (and fed) restriction as well as using FFLs on each end of the transfer. given CA's past history it might also require an FFL and a NICS check even when it's 2 CA state residents. a local gun shop will tell you what's needed to avoid entanglements.
That's correct. All private party sales in Cali require going thru an FFL, complete with Cali's obligatory wait (10 days or two weeks - can't remember which...).

David,

I may have a buyer for your PPK/S. I just sold one of my 1911's and one of my local rider friends was asking if I had a .380 to sell. I have a few but nothing I want to part with yet. It's for his wife that has small hands and the PPK/S would be an excellent piece for her.

I just sent him a message to see if he's ready to part with some cash so I'll get back to you with info.

btw...the current Blue Book price for your PPK/S at a 95% condition is $375 so I think your asking is very fair as long as the gun's condition is as described. I know I would, but he might want a few larger photos that depict condition a little better than the small ones you posted if that's doable.

As for the sale, it would need to be done face to face as a Private Party Transfer or you would have to take the gun to a licensed FFL and have them ship it up here to a licensed FFL. The dealer will keep it for 10 days after the Form 4473 is filled out and the background check begins.

You were looking for a reason to ride up to San Luis Obispo for a free lunch weren't you? :p

Tim

Detective Bud here. I was just wondering, "Why are you in a hurry to sell the gun on-line, <_< and what did you do with the other 3 hollow point bullets" :unsure: No reason Just wondering?

Detective Bud here. I was just wondering, "Why are you in a hurry to sell the gun on-line, <_< and what did you do with the other 3 hollow point bullets" :unsure: No reason Just wondering?
Yeah.....jes curious.

Have a seat in front of our new fangled video camera an tell us yer story. ;)

Detective Bud here. I was just wondering, "Why are you in a hurry to sell the gun on-line
The Gun reminds me too much of my Ex. No hurry to sell, I would love to ride up to SLO, Lunch sounds good, just need to break away. dr

I have a PPK/S for some 20 yrs now. Not much firepower but it's a good pocket gun; very reliable IME.

That's correct. All private party sales in Cali require going thru an FFL, complete with Cali's obligatory wait (10 days or two weeks - can't remember which...).
Correct (and please heed the bolded part in Bounce's post), but there's even more to it in a sale to any California resident.

As for the sale, it would need to be done face to face as a Private Party Transfer or you would have to take the gun to a licensed FFL and have them ship it up here to a licensed FFL. The dealer will keep it for 10 days after the Form 4473 is filled out and the background check begins.
The black bolded part is correct, but since this gun is no longer on the Calif. DOJ's Roster of Handguns Certified for Sale, the only way a Calif resident who is not a LEO can buy it* is by Private Party Transfer in a face to face private sale with necessary paperwork through a single FFL** (a consignment handled by a FFL also qualifies, but not if the gun is in the FFL's inventory). This is an exception to the prohibition against a California resident purchasing a handgun that is not on the Roster.

However, although I wish it wasn't, the red/brown italicized part is incorrect, since under the PPT exception to the prohibition against sales of a non Roster handgun to Calif residents, you cannot ship it from FFL to FFL within California -- it must be a face to face at a single FFL. Then the buyer has to go back to that same FFL at the end of the 10 day waiting period to pick it up. (I KNOW that makes NO sense, but that's the way it is here.) :rolleyes:

Having said that, as the seller, it's not that big an issue, except that a buyer may want you to go to an FFL near him to ease the two trip burden. You just go in with the gun, make the deal and get paid by the buyer (the $$ exchange should be off site so the FFL doesn't have to charge sales tax), leave your gun with the info the FFL will request, and the buyer has to jump through the DROS form hoops and pay the $35 fee.

I'm a Colt double action revolver lover, and since they're no longer made, Colt has no reason to pay what it costs to keep them on the Roster after they've expired. All have expired except the 6" stainless Python, which expires this coming July 24. So . . . I've done a few of these PPTs, and I get to pay a premium price due to the fact that unless a LEO buys one for himself from out of state, the supply in state is dwindling without much replacement (these guns are being sold from Calif residents to out of staters). In-state guns that are in demand like DA Colts (that qualify for PPTs) are harder and harder to find and the economics of all that generally results in us Californians paying more to own any handgun not on the Roster than people living in most other states.

* There are a couple other esoteric means of acquisition, but they are typically inheritance, buying one for your ranch in Colorado and keeping it there, etc. -- not relevant to your desire to sell.

** For the purpose of this discussion, you can equate "FFL" with gun store. What it means is "Federal Firearms Licensee", and there are many who are not ongoing commercial brick and mortar stores, but for the OP's purpose, just consider that we're talking about a gun shop.

exskibum is correct in the shipping aspect of the PPT. I keep forgetting the PPK/S is not on the CalDOJ Roster. There's a means around this but it requires the assistance of both FFL's as I've shipped non-listed handguns numerous times. It's just best to not expect to be able to do this even though we could with this specific transaction. If my guy wants it, David gets to ride towards paradise....well, compared to SoCal, anyway! :p

Also, though David doesn't need to worry about this aspect of the sale but I'll mention it so you out of staters can laugh at us a little more, purchasers of Handguns in California must have their BFSC card at the time of the transaction for both new and PPT's. Ya just gotta love Kalifornia!! :dribble:

purchasers of Handguns in California must have their BFSC card at the time of the transaction for both new and PPT's. Ya just gotta love Kalifornia!! :dribble:
Yep. And consistent with the obfuscatory, confusing and convoluted manner in which these statutes are written, they also changed the name from Basic Firearms Safety Certificate to Handgun Safety Certificate. :rolleyes:

I have a few other favorites from the California gun laws as nominees for the most confusing, practically unintelligible and asinine laws anywhere. When you get into the Penal Code to try to figure out the answer to a number of gun regulation questions, it isn't at all unusual for one statute to refer to another and that one to another and yet to another. I'm good at reading statutes, but still, the Calif gun laws set a new standard for nearly unreadable and idiotic. (And that's NOT a political comment on this forum; I'm just talking about really poor drafting of legislation. I'd rather rant in person about the other problem with them: what I think of their effectiveness and direction.)