Wants to stall

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kenporider

Reaction score
So far I've had 0 issues with this bike until the last month or so. From a complete stop, rolling on the throttle, letting out the clutch it wants to stall unless I goose it. Everything else is fine. Idle is good, throttle response is good, fuel line isn't pinched. I was hoping it was the plugs since they were overdue, but no change since installing new ones. After about 20-30 minutes it clears up. A tech I know suggested running a higher octane through it to see if that helps. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks

So far I've had 0 issues with this bike until the last month or so. From a complete stop, rolling on the throttle, letting out the clutch it wants to stall unless I goose it. Everything else is fine. Idle is good, throttle response is good, fuel line isn't pinched. I was hoping it was the plugs since they were overdue, but no change since installing new ones. After about 20-30 minutes it clears up. A tech I know suggested running a higher octane through it to see if that helps. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts?

Thanks
What exactly does "Idle is good" mean? Idle speed, when the engine is fully warmed, should be about 1100 RPM.

Don

... From a complete stop, rolling on the throttle, letting out the clutch it wants to stall unless I goose it...A tech I know suggested running a higher octane through it to see if that helps. Wondering if anyone had any thoughts?
Has the TPS been replaced under the factory recall? If you don't know call any Yamaha dealer, give the service guy your VIN and he can tell you if it was done or not. This is indeed a symptom of a bad TPS, right in one of the two primary rpm ranges where the TPS fails. This is a fast, free, first troubleshooting step. If the TPS has been done we can move on from there.

I assume the tech that suggested higher octane gas gave you that advice free; that is about all that it is worth. IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
Idle is indeed at 1100.

TPS may be the issue, I just reeeaaaally hate the dealers around here. I may need to bite the bullet and plan on the jokers having it for a month. Not kidding, I had a first service take a month here.

The higher octane didn't make much sense to me either.

...TPS may be the issue, I just reeeaaaally hate the dealers around here...
If the TPS hasn't been done you aren't too far out of the way if you are looking for diagnostics or help.
Thanks Alan. It hasn't been done yet. It should throw up an error code, yes? My ex has my manuals because she wouldn't be a pain in the ass if she didn't. What's the sequence to pull them up? I have classes tonight but I'm off tomorrow and will check them in the morning, but I'm willing to bet you're right.

No error code. You could go into diagnostic and check to see if your throttle is 'within spec' regarding the position it is reading at zero throttle and max throttle, but even a bad TPS may not show bad numbers that way. Mine didn't went it went bad.

I was able to get a replacement TBS from a dealer and replace it myself, though finding one that will do that can be difficult. Man, I DO miss Gary McCoy.

Update:

I found a TPS from a bike being parted out on the cheap. Problem solved. This was seriously a 15 minute job with no frustration but...

I wasted some time searching the left side of the engine for it :blush2:

After I finally wised up, I realized my torx bits weren't of the security variety so off to the store I went <_<

Of course, the new bit was way too long to fit into the space for the bottom screw. So some more time was spent grinding it down to fit :angry:

Even with a cloth under, the screw still managed to fall into the bike. This wouldn't have been an issue if I'd magnatized the bit as originally planned but forgot to do with all the grinding. Thankfully I had the magnet handy. :angry03:

After 2 1/2 hours I completed my 15 minute job and she runs like a champ again! Spec is showing 16-99 and the throttle response is better than it's ever been. :good:

Thanks to Alan for the catch and the excellent write up on the repair. And scooter was correct, the old TPS was reading 17-100 and smooth as a baby's butt all the way up but was clearly bad.