Warm Hands.... FINALLY!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TomInCA, sounds like you are sold on using heated liners over heated gloves. True statement? I hate fat bulky gloves, and I recently purchased a set of new (used) WNS gloves - but the gauntlet is too small to cover the bulky CyclePort jacket cuffs.

If the liners work, and it seems they should, it really looks like they are the most versatile solution.. heated liners, thinner gloves for down to 30F or so, then liners + bulkier, more insulated gloves for the teens and below?
Not quite. I like liners UNDER gloves that are a light as possible for the conditions, and I like to wear those same gloves without liners when it's not that cold. I don't have circulation problems in my hands, and did the winter ride to Death Valley last year with just the Olympia Gloves. I didn't own the liners yet, and I was marginally uncomfortable, but not sticking my hands into the engine cowlings for warmth. The liners are just gravy.

For me, the summer Sedici gloves with liners pictured above, are lighter than the Olympias alone.

DeathValleyday1002Medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am still having trouble getting my WarmNsafe glove 'liners' to work correctly. Again, it's a jacket coax issue not a glove liner issue. I can get them to work while fiddling in the garage, but then when I go for a ride they don't work. Have been playing this game too many times. Getting frustrated. Anyways, as to the point of this post - when I do get the liners working in the garage, I am not sure they provide as much heat as I would like. Of course this is subjective, and wearing the glove liners in the garage is a lot different than riding in the very cold, but based on my experiences so far if I had it to do all over again I think I would go with Powerlet glove liners since Bill says they provide more heat.

or

Huh? Isn't the red coax the power input? That's what is says on my Dual Troller I'm pretty sure. I have red coax to power, black to jacket and grey to gloves (black and grey are interchangeable.) I get heat to the jacket and the gloves, just not enough. And I was told the same thing, "These gloves are not designed for COLD riding" when I complained about them in 30+ degree weather. I do like the jacket though, have just shelved the two pair of gloves for now as the V-Strom mod is working super.
I have a dual wireless unit.
And that is why the confusion. I did order the Powerlet liners though after selling both pairs of WnS gloves. I think they will be the answer to my frozen left hand.

As I indicated in the original posting, Powerlet Glove Liners are wired differently than Warm & Safe or Gerbing's. When I tried the different brands, as well as my Warm & Safe Ultimate Touring Gloves, Gerbing's G3 and T5 Heated Gloves... the Powerlet Glove Liners were noticeably hotter.

Of course, how much heat it takes to keep ones hands warm and comfortable is very subjective.

Bill,

Do you use a single controller and just plug into your jacket and take whatever setting your jacket uses...because the Powerlet glove liner is so much better than the others? (This is what I'm thinking you are saying in your original post)

Or do you use a dual controller also to have separate controls for your gloves?

As I indicated in the original posting, Powerlet Glove Liners are wired differently than Warm & Safe or Gerbing's. When I tried the different brands, as well as my Warm & Safe Ultimate Touring Gloves, Gerbing's G3 and T5 Heated Gloves... the Powerlet Glove Liners were noticeably hotter.

Of course, how much heat it takes to keep ones hands warm and comfortable is very subjective.

Bill,

Do you use a single controller and just plug into your jacket and take whatever setting your jacket uses...because the Powerlet glove liner is so much better than the others? (This is what I'm thinking you are saying in your original post)

I hadn't checked this thread since my last posting and didn't see your question.

Currently, I'm using a Warm & Safe Dual Remote Control Heat-troller.

Years ago, Gordon Gerbing "double wired" a pair of gloves for me so that I could have full heat on my hands without having the Jacket Liner warm enough to deliver mail by motorcycle in Alaska. Since that time, dual controllers have solved the problem of making the Jacket Liner too warm while trying to keep the hands warm.

Bill,

I hadn't checked this thread since my last posting and didn't see your question.

Currently, I'm using a Warm & Safe Dual Remote Control Heat-troller.

Years ago, Gordon Gerbing "double wired" a pair of gloves for me so that I could have full heat on my hands without having the Jacket Liner warm enough to deliver mail by motorcycle in Alaska. Since that time, dual controllers have solved the problem of making the Jacket Liner too warm while trying to keep the hands warm.
Thanks for answering Bill.

So to clarify, the Glove liners you are recommending in post #1 are still powered by the dual contoller?

Are you saying that using the single controller through the jacket with these glove liners doesn't get enough heat to your hands?

So to clarify, the Glove liners you are recommending in post #1 are still powered by the dual contoller? YES. That is what he is saying.

Are you saying that using the single controller through the jacket with these glove liners doesn't get enough heat to your hands? No, he is saying that with the single controller the jacket would get to hot (on full) when his hands would be good.

So to clarify, the Glove liners you are recommending in post #1 are still powered by the dual contoller? YES. That is what he is saying.

Are you saying that using the single controller through the jacket with these glove liners doesn't get enough heat to your hands? No, he is saying that with the single controller the jacket would get to hot (on full) when his hands would be good.
If that is in fact correct...then I guess I am missing the point of what the big deal of this thread is. I assumed that all electric gloves or glove liners would be nice and toasty warm if turned on high with a dual controller. Am I incorrect in this?

Also, I thought that it was referenced early on in the post of how the liner maker had double wired his gloves so he could use a single controller...and that these powerlet liners performed a similar function. I apologize in advance for this round of questions as I have never had heated gear but am interested in buying some this off season. I am looking at purchasing a dual controller with one controller for my jacket liner and gloves, and the other controller for my wife's jacket liner and gloves.

If I had to get a dual controller for both, I am not sure how this liner would be any better than any other liner under a winter glove. I'm just trying to see the logic and understand, that's all.

Well, I think he is saying that the Powerlet glove liners are wired better and provide more heat for those that really ride in cold temperatures and need the extra glove liner heat. He found a combination that really works for him in the extremely cold temps.

Well, I think he is saying that the Powerlet glove liners are wired better and provide more heat for those that really ride in cold temperatures and need the extra glove liner heat. He found a combination that really works for him in the extremely cold temps.
That's exactly the point of this thread.

I've had 2 pairs of Widder gloves, my original Gerbing's that were double wired, Gerbing's Classic, Gerbing's G3, and Warm & Safe Ultimate Touring Gloves.

I've tried Gerbing's T5, Gerbing's heated glove liners, Warm & Safe heated glove liners and..... NONE of those get as hot as Powerlet's heated glove liners because of the way that Powerlet wires their heated glove liners.

The only point that I was trying to make was simply to say that if one regularly rides in temperatures that are really cold and if their hands are sensitive to serious cold temperatures, and V-Strom hand guards and Hippo Hands don't make their hands warm enough to feel nice and toasty when using only heated grips..........then I would recommend trying a pair of Powerlet Heated Glove Liners and wearing them inside of a really good pair of winter riding gloves.

Thanks for the explanation for the kid with the dunce cap on.

I do have frostbitten extremities fingers and toes so being warm is harder for me...so thanks again for the info.

Wheaties, I think you and your wife would each need your own dual controller. Because the hands see so much wind and its hard to protect them, the glove usually need to be set hotter than the jacket liner.

So, if your body is fine, your hands are cold, and if your hands are fine your body is roasting...You need the gloves on one and the jacket/pants on the other. Especially if your hands are extra sensitive to cold.

I am looking at purchasing a dual controller with one controller for my jacket liner and gloves, and the other controller for my wife's jacket liner and gloves.

If I had to get a dual controller for both, I am not sure how this liner would be any better than any other liner under a winter glove. I'm just trying to see the logic and understand, that's all.
A dual controller allows you to control one pair of gloves and one jacket separately. You need two dual controllers if you and your passenger want to separately control your own jacket liners and your own pairs of gloves.