Waving at other motorcyclists

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I absolutely, positively NEVER wave.

I don't wave to people driving cars, so why should I wave at people driving motorcycles? Because they're on bikes? Don't wave at cats, dogs, cows, convenience stores or drive-in movie screens, either.

Although I do give the occasional one-fingered wave to douche bags. Usually those that wave at me. :p

(p.s.: How is this post NOT in NEPRT?)
Not even cows? Didn't grow up on a dairy I suspect.
Sad fuker..

Not only do I wave at livestock,I also add a blast of horn to assure they see me. :)

Funny this came up. My Daughters Boi friend bought hisself a Hardley this summer and he's already got me about ready to slap him upside the head. She was telling me he instructs her who to wave to and how before they head out each time. No Jap bikes, moped's, farmers..etc. Cruisers get the low hand, Tourers get the High.

If a jap crotch rocket should wave she's to turn her head in the opposite direction.His daady is a UAW Moron employed by the general and wouldn't allow a jap bike in his driveway.. I love stopping by when his Bike buddies are out front and giving 'em shit about Jap tires, electronics, etc on these all American Machines.

Then I suggest we run some fast shit followed by a 5 to 6 hundred mile day trip.I know the Glides and Kings are more than capable of long days.. Too bad the gurls ain't

Funny, I never get any takers :eek:

Aye Carumba! Stress less and Ride More!

Who put you in charge and made the you 'the wave' police? :p

You should just be happy you are getting a wave back - all too often these days I don't. But that doesn't really bother me. When on the FJR I am in my 'happy place' so I really couldn't give a flying fuck what that other uptight douchebag's problem is! :lol:
:lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

You crack me up.

I couldn't agree more.
+1, Gunny; always a high wave from Papa Chuy Viejo and I wave at everyone on two or three wheels, even that Repulsive Revolting Repugnant Risque Reprobate Reprehensible RadioHowie!!!

If you like being waved at while you ride your Motocicleta, ride down in Old Mexico. All Mexicans love motorcycles, if you pass a bus everybody in the entire bus waves at you! Arriba, Arriba, Ai!

Last edited by a moderator:
On the serious side of the topic - High wave verse low wave - I was "taught" to use the low wave. That came from riding in group so as not to confuse the motorcycles behind you that a left or right turn was going to occur. The "rule" was extend your arm at a 45 degree angle to you body that way it is not thought to be a left turn signal or a right turn.

The groups we have ridden the bike's turn signals are used to let the group and cars know we're turning left or right and the hand signal, we're turning now.

I've observed that many HD riders who have fairings wave is a slight lift of their fingers off the grip but their palm remains on the grip. I'm guessing that their too afraid to take their hand off the handle bar as they need to hold on or they will vibrate off...... :rolleyes:

I wave if someone waves at me...

...unless it is a long cruiser train...then I wave at the first guy that waves.

...unless it is getting late, been a long day, and I'm not in the mood.

I don't obsess about it anymore...I just ride and have a good time.

I wave if someone waves at me...

...unless it is a long cruiser train...then I wave at the first guy that waves.

...unless it is getting late, been a long day, and I'm not in the mood.

I don't obsess about it anymore...I just ride and have a good time.
Hey Wheatie Boy, would you even wave at "this one"? REALLY!

IMG_6335.jpg

Can someone give me a better, less aggressive reason why it is so hard for other riders to raise their hands and wave back?
They don't want to.
Or maybe they're busy riding their motorcycle and don't want to divert their attention from the task(s) at hand, which by the way is far more important than encouraging more distracted behavior.

I don't wave because, admittedly, many times I don't have the bandwidth to wave at everyone that waves at me and focus on riding at the same time. Sometimes it takes all I've got to stay on task, and this task is kinda important.

Maybe it's age and it requires more of my attention. I'd like to think it's because I'm not as distracted as I used to be, it's more important to me now, and I am more focused when i ride these days. Maybe, just maybe it's that whole zen thing of being in the moment I heard about all my life but didn't know what the f*%k they were talking about. Riding seems to be the one thing I do where I am singularly focused. Or maybe it's just age...

So you'll have to excuse me, I find it's more important for me to keep both hands on the bars and all of my attention focused on riding, then to wave at every yeawho that wants my attention.

I think we should ask: Why people wave?

IMHO I think it's for one of a couple reasons.

1) They want to be friendly. Which is all fine and good and i don't want to discourage anyone from being friendly, but don't get your panties in a bunch because someone didn't wave back. Getting upset about it says more about you than them.

2) They think they recognize you or they may be a friend and want to say Hi. :friends: Yeah, right :finger:

3)They need attention: Some folks just need more than others, and that's OK too. :bye: :red_bandana: :bye: :bye2: :pirate: :bye:

My Daughters Boi friend bought hisself a Hardley this summer and he's already got me about ready to slap him upside the head. She was telling me he instructs her who to wave to and how before they head out each time. No Jap bikes, moped's, farmers..etc. Cruisers get the low hand, Tourers get the High.

ROFL :rofl:

I think it's all covered in the Hardley owners manual

Or maybe they're busy riding their motorcycle and don't want to divert their attention from the task(s) at hand, which by the way is far more important than encouraging more distracted behavior.
On a serious note (as hard as that is for me :rolleyes: ), the issue of distraction and taking my hand off the controls does play into the equation.

A few years ago while riding with some forum friends down highway 1 to the camp out near San Luis Obispo, I waved at some riders heading opposite to us just over the line on this two-lane highway (one lane each direction). Just as I passed the last guy I heard some crashing noises and caught site in my rear-view mirror of the last guy low-siding off onto the dirt shoulder. While waving at me he failed to see traffic ahead of him slow, and he had to avoid crashing into the back of the car ahead of him.

So if and when I wave I now wave without looking at the other rider or what he's riding or whether he waved first or back at me. And I never wave over freeway dividers, although a lot of riders do.

There are 3 reasons I return the wave:

1) It's unique to motorcycles

2) It's the fiendly thing to do

3)..... I dunno oops!.

Bill

I try to wave everytime but I'm not perfect. The ones I have missed mostly were on four lane highways paying attention to traffic and just hadn't notice until the last second.

Yes I wave at Harley riders too, 99% of the time no wave back. The ones that don't wave, get laughed at. Maybe they are just in bad moods because their garage floor is covered with oil leaking from their bikes.

Ride happy everyone!!

I wave low for technical reasons. It's easier to get my hand off the bar without hitting the mirror on my cruiser. I just slide it off the end which is pointing low and away. Since I got the FJR, I'm not getting the waves I used to. I'm a little hurt by this new development.

There are 3 reasons I return the wave:

1) It's unique to motorcycles

2) It's the fiendly thing to do

3)..... I dunno oops!.

Bill
It's not really unique to motorcycles. I used to drive a Jeep on the road and Jeep people wave at each other. I suspect 'Vette people do too, and people who drive other fun vehicles.

So, I guess it's about sharing the fun.

I absolutely, positively NEVER wave.

I don't wave to people driving cars, so why should I wave at people driving motorcycles? Because they're on bikes? Don't wave at cats, dogs, cows, convenience stores or drive-in movie screens, either.

Although I do give the occasional one-fingered wave to douche bags. Usually those that wave at me. :p

(p.s.: How is this post NOT in NEPRT?)
Not even cows? Didn't grow up on a dairy I suspect.

I always honk and wave to cows. I imagine it brightens up their days.

Porsche drivers wave to each other. F*cking one percenters. Eat the rich.

Besides the FJR, I also ride a 50cc scooter. More often than not, the harley guys wave to me before I wave to them. I don't know why, they just do. I think it is funny. Maybe it is because my scooter is the only two-wheeled vehicle that is slower than them, or at 6'-1" and 215 pounds on a scooter they just think I am "special."

I wave to everyone except when I'm in the twisties.
Like Marcus, I wave at everyone. It's keeps the confusion to a minimum... However, unlike Marcus, I wave even in the twisties. Course the way I negotiate the twisties is akin to driving a street sweeper on an airport runway so I could wave with both hands and probably get away with it. :dribble:

Keep Going!

I also wave to everyone including scooters. I know it's the stereotype that Harley riders only wave to other Harleys but I haven't noticed it, maybe because there are soo many bikes and riders out here that everyone pretty much gets along.

I've only been riding about 2.5 years and just learned to do the "low wave", usually with 2 fingers, someone explained to me when I first started riding that it meant keep your wheels down (shiny side up) which seems like as good (and good natured) of an explanation as any even if it's full of crap.

One thing I've noticed since I started riding Angeles Crest is it's common there to get a thumbs up instead of a wave. I'm guessing it's meant to indicate that the road ahead of you is police-free, of course I also take the same message out of an ordinary (low or high) wave. Can't even imagine how many have been saved from tickets by the magic of the head tapping gesture.

Stolen from another forum...

1. Top Ten Reasons Why Riders Don't Wave Back

Top Ten Reasons Why Harley Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Afraid it will invalidate warranty.
9. Leather and studs make it too heavy to raise arm.
8. Refuse to wave to anyone whose bike is already paid for.
7. Afraid to let go of handlebars because they might vibrate off.
6. Rushing wind would blow scabs off the new tattoos.
5. Angry because just took out second mortgage to pay luxury tax on new Harley.
4. Just discovered the fine print in owner's manual and realized H-D is partially owned by Honda.
3. Can't tell if other riders are waving or just reaching to cover their ears like everyone else.
2. Remembers the last time a Harley rider waved back, he impaled his hand on spiked helmet.
1. They're too tired from spending hours polishing all that chrome to lift their arms.

Top Ten Reasons Why Gold Wing Riders Don't Wave Back

10. Wasn't sure whether other rider was waving or making an obscene gesture.
9. Afraid might get frostbite if hand is removed from heated grip.
8. Has arthritis and the past 400 miles have made it difficult to raise arm.
7. Reflection from etched windshield momentarily blinded him.
6. The espresso machine just finished.
5. Was actually asleep when other rider waved.
4. Was in a three-way conference call with stockbroker and accessories dealer.
3. Was distracted by odd shaped blip on radar screen.
2. Was simultaneously adjusting the air suspension, seat height,
programmable CD player, seat temperature and satellite
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/navigation system
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/.
1. Couldn't find the "auto wave back" button on dashboard.

Top 10 Reasons Sportbikers Don't Wave:

10. They have not been riding long enough to know they're supposed to.
9. They're going too fast to have time enough to register the movement and respond.
8. You weren't wearing bright enough gear.
7. If they stick their arm out going that fast they'll rip it out of the socket.
6. They're too occupied with trying to get rid of their chicken strips.
5. They look way too cool with both hands on the bars or they don't want to unbalance themselves while standing on the tank.
4. Their skin tight-kevlar-ballistic-nylon-kangaroo-leather suits prevent any position other than fetal.
3. Raising an arm allows bugs into the armholes of their tank tops.
2. It's too hard to do one-handed stoppies.
1. They were too busy slipping their flip-flop back on.

Top Ten Reasons Why BMW Riders Don't Wave Back

10. New Aerostich suit too stiff to raise arm.
9. Removing a hand from the bars is considered "bad form."
8. Your bike isn't weird enough looking to justify acknowledgement.
7. Too sore from an 800-mile day on a stock "comfort" seat.
6. Too busy programming the GPS, monitoring radar, listening to ipod,
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/XM
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/, or talking on the cell phone.
5. He's an Iron Butt rider and you're not!.
4. Wires from Gerbings is too short.
3. You're not riding the "right kind" of BMW.
2. You haven't been properly introduced.
1. Afraid it will be misinterpreted as a friendly gesture.

And Finally...

Top Ten reasons Metric Cruiser Riders don't wave back

10. New leather jacket was purchased at the same size as suit jacket.
9. Didn't know that the bike wouldn't fly off the road if left hand was removed.
8. Was looking at the handle bars wondering what accessory could mount where.
7. Was wildly grasping at some valve under seat. (3.7 gals BAH!)
6. Rider was actually pulling up black socks and pulling down on jeans trying to close a few air gaps.
5. Rider was too caught up in reciting his mantra 'Left hand clutch' 'Right hand Gas AND Front brake' 'Left foot Gears' 'Right foot Rear brake' 'And for Gods sake Both feet down at light'.
4. Waved after you went by. You just thought they didn't wave.
3. Was searching
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/GPS
https://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/ to find local Bike wash.
2. Rider wasn't really waving, was doing wind airfoil test with hand and arm.
1. Rider was involved in trying to get new throttle stop to STOP.