Waving Etiquette

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
oldpeoplefinger.jpg
That made me laugh...worth another look already!

Recently, I was returning from Ft. Worth, TX to Johnson City, TN. Between Nashville and Knoxville, I crested a hill and saw two dots (bikers) in the distance, traveling in the same direction as me. I couldn't make out the brand...just two dots moving up and over a hill in the distance. I wondered if I would ever catch up to them.

No prob...they were traveling quite a bit slower than I was and I was rapidly closing the gap between us. As I got closer I recognized the all too familiar look of Hardleys. The traffic was light and I moved over a lane as I approached from behind.

Pulling along side the first rider, I slowed to his pace as I paralled him...and I waved. He never turned his head. I waved a second time. He never turned his head. I checked to see that my cloaking device was turned off...it was! I looked at him one last time...no recognition that I was there. OK, Mr. Hardley, I'll just move on.

I wicked it up a bit and pulled along side the second rider...this time just slightly ahead of his front tire...there was no question I was in his field of view...and I waved. He never turned his head. I waved a second time. He never turned his head. Again, no recognition that I was there.

OK, Hardley Dudes, sayonara! :assassin:

I pulled ahead of both riders, put my hand up in the air, waved side to side, and showed them the power of a rice-burner w/ two bags, a top box, and a CB barn door windshield in the full up position (it was very cold).

In moments, they were again 2 dots in the distance...this time in my rear view mirrors.

I was chancing a big performance award as I disappeared from their view but wanted to get away from these 2 jerks ASAP.

There is no moral to this story...it's just an experience I had. I still wave at all bikers...Hardleys included.

Last edited by a moderator:
Recently, I was returning from Ft. Worth, TX to Johnson City, TN. Between Nashville and Knoxville, I crested a hill and saw two dots (bikers) in the distance, traveling in the same direction as me. I couldn't make out the brand...just two dots moving up and over a hill in the distance. I wondered if I would ever catch up to them.
No prob...they were traveling quite a bit slower than I was and I was rapidly closing the gap between us. As I got closer I recognized the all too familiar look of Hardleys. The traffic was light and I moved over a lane as I approached from behind.

Pulling along side the first rider, I slowed to his pace as I paralled him...and I waved. He never turned his head. I waved a second time. He never turned his head. I checked to see that my cloaking device was turned off...it was! I looked at him one last time...no recognition that I was there. OK, Mr. Hardley, I'll just move on.

I wicked it up a bit and pulled along side the second rider...this time just slightly ahead of his front tire...there was no question I was in his field of view...and I waved. He never turned his head. I waved a second time. He never turned his head. Again, no recognition that I was there.

OK, Hardley Dudes, sayonara! :assassin:

I pulled ahead of both riders, put my hand up in the air, waved side to side, and showed them the power of a rice-burner w/ two bags, a top box, and a CB barn door windshield in the full up position (it was very cold).

In moments, they were again 2 dots in the distance...this time in my rear view mirrors.

I was chancing a big performance award as I disappeared from their view but wanted to get away from these 2 jerks ASAP.

There is no moral to this story...it's just an experience I had. I still wave at all bikers...Hardleys included.
You seem to be forgetting rule # 6

I like this thread.

Nobody's mentioned:

- the proper wave technique

1 one or two fingers off the grip?

2 arm out and low

3 arm straight out

4 the "black power" salute

- how to recover when someone has "left you hanging."

The two are related. The wave techniques are in increasing order of embarrassment when the other rider leaves you hanging.

I like this thread.
Nobody's mentioned:

2 arm out and low

3 arm straight out

The two are related. The wave techniques are in increasing order of embarrassment when the other rider leaves you hanging.

Be careful not to offend the enforcers of the BIKER BROTHERHOOD. You have been warned. Personally, I like the black power salute. As for being being left hanging, what are the suggestions? I have seen post on chasing the offender down and repeatedly waving get some positive comments.

I like this thread.

Nobody's mentioned:

2 arm out and low

3 arm straight out

Be careful not to offend the enforcers of the BIKER BROTHERHOOD. You have been warned. Personally, I like the black power salute. As for being being left hanging, what are the suggestions? I have seen post on chasing the offender down and repeatedly waving get some positive comments.
Only if you are going the same direction as the offender. Otherwise, you'd appear too needy and nobody likes a needy parade princess. Only parade princesses that act like they don't care too much are cool.

If someone leaves you hanging, you have to pretend like you don't care, but then go to the nearest computer to complain about the kind of people that ride __________ brand bikes (Usually HD since they sell more bikes than anyone else still)

Riders like me and akin to parade princesses that wave to everyone have our ways of feeling important even though we aren't. Obviously, if someone doesn't find it important enough to wave back at us, they must have so

me kind of inadequacy. I mean, I couldn't possibly think that they just don't like to wave and that it has zero impact on who I am...wait...I mean if they don't wave it does have zero impact on me...uh...i feel like I'm going to cry.

:lol:

I like this thread.
Nobody's mentioned:

2 arm out and low

3 arm straight out

If they are going in the same direction as I am, I pass on the left (always be the passer -- so much cooler) and I give a quick wave with the left arm across my body. But the key is to not look to see if there is a response, merely show my rear end as I twist the throttle. B)

When a bker is coming in the opposite lane, I give the low wave, then if they don't respond I extend my middle finger. This serves two purposes: First, they probably can't see my gloved finger extended in their shaking mirrors, so there is little chance of confrontation; secondly, it makes my petty side feel better. :p

[if they are going in the same direction as I am, I pass on the left (always be the passer -- so much cooler) and I give a quick wave with the left arm across my body. But the key is to not look to see if there is a response, merely show my rear end as I twist the throttle. B)
I always use the right hand as I'm passing. The Indian Chief "HOW" salute. That way I'm way cooler with my bike that has cruise control B)

[if they are going in the same direction as I am, I pass on the left (always be the passer -- so much cooler) and I give a quick wave with the left arm across my body. But the key is to not look to see if there is a response, merely show my rear end as I twist the throttle. B)
I always use the right hand as I'm passing. The Indian Chief "HOW" salute. That way I'm way cooler with my bike that has cruise control B)
Show off! :p

I need one of them cruise control things :rolleyes:

I like this thread.

Nobody's mentioned:

2 arm out and low

3 arm straight out

Only if you are going the same direction as the offender. Otherwise, you'd appear too needy and nobody likes a needy parade princess. Only parade princesses that act like they don't care too much are cool.

If someone leaves you hanging, you have to pretend like you don't care, but then go to the nearest computer to complain about the kind of people that ride __________ brand bikes (Usually HD since they sell more bikes than anyone else still)

Riders like me and akin to parade princesses that wave to everyone have our ways of feeling important even though we aren't. Obviously, if someone doesn't find it important enough to wave back at us, they must have so

me kind of inadequacy. I mean, I couldn't possibly think that they just don't like to wave and that it has zero impact on who I am...wait...I mean if they don't wave it does have zero impact on me...uh...i feel like I'm going to cry.

:lol:
OV has a point- black power salute when passing is best. Tried this many times today on Santiago canyon with good results. I also gave some princess waves and got mixed results. I think some leather clad HD riders liked it and this only made me ride faster. Try this only at your own risk!

I have to say this thread has given me many laughs. I AM a Princess! And I wave like a Princess! I remember riding behind my husband and seeing him wave at other bikers and their responding wave. I too wondered what they heck! Soon, I was waving with him. I still wave but the middle finger is always ready for the HD's and, YES, BMWs. They are so funny. I have ridden up next to guys on HDs and they refuse to acknowledge that another motorcycle is beside them. It is comical! My daughter rides now and we love to see if we can get them to wave back. Most times they don't BUT there are a few that do. I have a friend who rides an HD and he even finds those people amusing..they won't even wave to him and he's on an HD!!! Silly really. I will always wave first, last or whenever I see another person on a bike. It's great to ride behind my daughter and watch her carry on the traditional Princess wave!