We Invade EOM from the North

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamafitter

Reigning NERDS Granite Lane Gold Medalist
Reaction score
When I woke at 05:30 it wasn't raining but as I was brushing my teeth I heard the raindrops against the window. Rats!!!! I hate starting in the rain.

OK now where did I put my bike keys. They weren't where they are supposed to be. I think the FJR Fairies were trying to tell me something. I never did find my main set and had to go with the spare set. I still had my SPOT Tracker on the dirt bike so I had to go inside my trailer while it was still dark outside to take the SPOT Tracker off. I trip over my gear bag in the dark trailer getting to the dirt bike. The key I need to take the SPOT Tracker off in on the key ring with my main bike key set which I couldn't find. OK so where is the spare key. I trip over the gear bag getting out of the dark trailer to go find the spare key I need. After tearing apart the house I find a key that will work and after tripping over the gear bag a few more times I get the SPOT Tracker mounted on the FJR. I'm now about a hour hour later than I wanted to be leaving to meet Ray & Mike on the other side of Toronto. It now raining harder.

There is no sense taking the 401 since in this weather there will have been about a dozen crashes and the traffic will be backed up to Kingston. I go north to go up to the 407 Toll Road. The problem is every other commuter heading into Toronto is also heading north towards the 407. A drive to get to the entrance of the 407 that normally from my house about 25 minutes takes over an hour. There are major slowdowns on the 407 due to extra traffic and weather so now I'm really running late.

Did I fill the bike up earlier in the week when I was getting the bike ready for the trip???

A look at the gauge tells me negative. I'm running late. I go on reserve near the airport but it's not that far to Fruitland. I can make it. How has my luck been working out so far???

I get over the Burlington Skyway and I think I felt a stutter. As I get near the Fruitland Rd exit the bike starts to die at 68.5 km into reserve. By some great fortune I was able to coast into the gas station and get filled up and then make it to Timmy's only about 45 minutes behind schedule.

We decide to shortcut the first section and slab it to the border. Ray & I have NEXUS cards and are across the border quickly but we had a short delay waiting for Mike. The roads were dry in New York but it got very soggy again as we went through Pennsylvania. It started drying out as we made it into Ohio but Ray wanted to check out the gravel road capabilities of his new tires and lead us onto some goat paths before we found some nice fresh pavement to finish the day.

We are currently parked for the night and will be playing in SE Ohio tomorrow before continuing down towards EOM. No photos from today, it was just too soggy but I did have my SPOT up and running ....

pre-EOM-day-1-L.png

Funny, it doesn't look all that soggy on the computer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those dots are pretty close together. Your bike stuck in 2nd or something?

Ride safe guys and see you in Hendersonville.

Since I was sort of soggy on the outside I figured I should get soggy on the inside last night .....

securedownload-L.jpg

Heading south to Hillsville VA in about 35 minutes. See ya tomorrow in Hendersonville. Have fun in SE Ohio. I should be passing though there around noon.

I left home shortly before 7am. Stopped at Canadian Tire in Sarnia for some new batteries for the SPOT. Fairly quick pass through customs. Stopped once for a drink and a stop for fuel. I ran up to 680 kms and still had two bars showing on the fuel guage.

Love that fuel cell.... fill ups are pricey thou!

My orginal plan was to leave on tuesday but a couple of looks at the weather channel changed my mind and changed my route.

So here I am at Portsmouth OH.

Tomorrow down to Hampton OH and down 10 through Pineville and on to 16

I haven't been on the section of 16 from Pineville and Tazewell. It should be neat!

The section from Beckley to Marion on 16 was incredible and was in its own way every bit as good as anything we rode in the Alps for twisties. It sure was a long day though and we just got back from dinner and I'm really tired. I have video of some of the good bits that we will post up later.

Ws made it to Marion and have a nice short ride over to the Snake and then into Hendersonville tomorrow ....

pre-EOM-day-2-route-L.png

I trust it looked better than this today, This is a pic from yesterday. The new PR3's were confidence inspiring through the twisties there in the wet!

2773132230101026374S600x600Q85.jpg

I trust it looked better than this today, This is a pic from yesterday. The new PR3's were confidence inspiring through the twisties there in the wet!

2773132230101026374S600x600Q85.jpg
Our day on 16 was much improved over your experience. I took a few photos at the the top end of 16 just past St. Mary's where I had time to work the Nikon and ride at the same time .....

day-2-1-L.jpg

At Gauley Bridge Ray's route on the GPS had a Bungie Moment and turned us onto Hwy 60 and then onto the bridge to nowhere (County Rd 13) .....

day-2-2-L.jpg

day-2-3-L.jpg

We backtracked from here and stayed on 16 all the way to Marion. The ride through Jefferson National Forest & Hungry Mother State Park in Virginia was fantastic.

Bill, I see Ray and Mike are riding along with you but where in the Hell is Rob? And why didn't you take Tom with you, poor bastard never gets to go anywhere! Or at least have packed Pam pillion.

081.jpg

Bill, I see Ray and Mike are riding along with you but where in the Hell is Rob? And why didn't you take Tom with you, poor bastard never gets to go anywhere! Or at least have packed Pam pillion.

081.jpg

Hey Beemerdons, how come you ain't out here? It's just a hop skip and a tire change from Scottsdale to here!!

Hope things are good in sunny AZ

Caba

Rob is busy towing wreaks off the 401 and did not make it to EOM so far. Tom is here in Hendersonville but no Pam. Pam got replaced with a fuel cell. Go figure.
huh.gif

We made it over to the Snake (Hwy 421) today. Truckers were given fair warning to stay away ....

Hwy-421-1-L.jpg

We stopped in at General Store in Shady Valley to pick up some Snake Swag ....

DSC0010-001-L.jpg

Hwy-421-3-L.jpg

We then took a ride down the Blue Ridge Parkway and then turned off on Hwy 80, a fun bit of twisties to head us over to Hendersonville.

I did a little bit of a photo shoot in one particularly twisty bit of Hwy 80 with Ray ....

Hwy-80-1-L.jpg

followed by our sweep rider, Mike ....

Hwy-80-2-L.jpg

We just got back from dinner and there is beer to be quaffed and lies to be told in the tire kicking session out in the parking lot.

Later.....

Forgot to post the track from yesterday .....

pre-EOM-day-3-route-L.png

I just have a little bit of time before we head out for the tour of the Olhins facility here in Hendersonville and then for a short romp in the hills.

Later .....

081.jpg
Hey Beemerdons, how come you ain't out here? It's just a hop skip and a tire change from Scottsdale to here!!

Hope things are good in sunny AZ

Caba
Hola Eric: Que tal, mi Amigo? Good to hear from you, I would have considered attending EOM if I had known you would be there. However, Bill F. cuts loose with some wicked and nasty Polish garlic flavored kielbasa farts and after two weeks of rooming with yamafitter I don't know if my sinuses could take any more olfactory abuse!

PyrenneesgroupatLevicodinner.png

Mi Querido Caba, all of your Spanish Pyrenees Riding Partners said to say hello to you from them whenever I saw you next: BeemerDonS, Stefano S. - Teerex51, Dr. Bob Flanders, David "Orestes" Clarke and Mek from Milano, Italia! Ciao, Paisano! Postscript: Always stand upwind from yamafitter Bill! jes' sayin' and nuff' said!

Hola Mi Amigo!! ?Que Tal? I see Mek, Stef, Dr. Bob, Orestes, but you forgot Hook! I wonder if Hook ever found any decent pasta....

Other than that, you have an Andorran reunion there. I will never forget the ride home from that event - 8 hours of italian and Austrian freeways in a constant downpour! It was still wonderful. Maybe we can both trek to a central meet (Are there any good riding roads in the middle????)

As for here, new PR3's on the italian girl and we're off to the twisties tomorrow.

Ciao

Latest posts