We Lost A Great Friend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I have never met the man, but always saw his avatar online. He seemed to be a very prominent part of this forum. I know that many of you had a personal, face to face relationship with him. If this can get back to his family, I and my CMA group will be praying for his family and all his friends here.

At least he made it to Alaska this year. I know it was a dream of his.
Yes, he did.

TimBates2008AlaskaTripPhotos21.jpg

..and only for veracity (well, that's actually b.s., I am proud to have been there)

PICT1042.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I am stunned. I was just notified by JDog of our loss. Tim was not only a forum bud while I owned my FJR, but a riding companion in our local club (like JDog) whom I considered my friend. I hadn't heard from him, so an email got this reply two weeks ago:

"Joe and I just got back from 6k miles. I'll fill you in later. Great ride! See you soon.

Thanks for thinking of me.

Tim"

So I didn't call him and now there is deafening silence. My heart is heavy with sadness.

Jeff

So sorry to hear that we have lost one of our forum members. I did not know Tim personally, but he was always present here on the forum. It will not be the same without him. My prayers are with his loved ones.

Wow! I'm speechless...

RIP Tim

Thanks for the help deciding on my seat and the unforgettable ride in Ojai.

Before I was even logged on to this site each time my mind was spinnig to the wonderful wit and humor that Tim had up his sleeve for the day. His post's were alway's colorful (to say the least) but alway's what they needed to be for the thread, imformative,witty,blunt,uplifting,engaging,or outright hilarious. But under the posts and through his life's adventures, here is man who touched people's live's in so many way's. We pray for his family and friend's and hope that our thought's may be of some comfort to them.

Everyone has already pretty much said it all.

What a shock and such a huge loss, and so sudden.

We just never know when it will be our time to go.

My prayers and deepest sympathy go out to Tim's family, as well as his many, many friends.

He will truly be missed.

-Roger-

I just looked at the top 20 overall posters list. TWN is #1, but what I found a little odd, is that Andrew is just below him on the list. Odd, maybe. Sad, no question.

Damn

UPDATE: The Memorial service for Tim is going to be Saturday, September 27th in the Santa Barbara, CA area.

As of yet no specific time or place has been set. Also sometime around then Patty requested that Fairlainer and forum members take him on his final ride thru some of his favorite canyons. (He'll be cremated). We are not sure if this will happen the same day or the next day but it Will happen.

More details to follow to be sure. Fairlainer is going to be taking on some point-person activities, and I ask you all give him your support and patience.

Thanks.

Matt

This makes me sick and I am going to miss him. He came and stayed in our home for a night about a year or so ago. My condolences to all of Tim's family and to all the people he touched on this forum.

Tim is someone from this forum I absolutely definitely had hoped to meet, although the geography was disagreeable, coming from opposite coasts. His wit, humor, and knowledge were all astounding and deserving of notice, and I, along with many others, made sure he knew we noticed several times in these pages. Although the post counter has stopped, his contribution here and elsewhere in the riding world will never go away. I will miss all of that more than I ever thought I would miss anything about someone only known virtually. I had especially hoped to have a chance to show him that not all of Florida sucks for riding:

KnoxHill.jpg

Come join me one afternoon, Tim. I'll give you a call that day.

Unfortunately I already have plans to go camping that Saturday with some close old friends that I haven't spent enough time with lately. I will however smoke a Cuban cigar my best friend gave me (which he smuggled into the country for me) and I'll enjoy a Jack and Coke in his honor that night.

To Tim Bates, one hell of a great guy! :drinks:

I just checked the board and found this horrible news. Saw tim at the WFO's and NAFO. Shared some riding stories, life stories and talked business. Sitting here in tears it makes one think about the impression others make in our lives. Really liked Tim and will miss his wit an humor. Prayers to the family and friends. I pray God will give the people involved with the final arrangements strength and peace. All my love brother Tim. Mike in Fremont, Ca.

UPDATE: The Memorial service for Tim is going to be Saturday, September 27th in the Santa Barbara, CA area.
As of yet no specific time or place has been set. Also sometime around then Patty requested that Fairlainer and forum members take him on his final ride thru some of his favorite canyons. (He'll be cremated). We are not sure if this will happen the same day or the next day but it Will happen.

More details to follow to be sure. Fairlainer is going to be taking on some point-person activities, and I ask you all give him your support and patience.

Thanks.

Matt
He always told me he loved riding HWY 58. and Hwy 229.. That in Central Ca. Also local area for him was Hwy 33 out of Ojai...

Jdog

I also met Tim at NAFO, and found him to be sincere and accommodating. We will all miss his quick wit, and occasional Forum ravings. TWN, may you ride forever with the Big Guy, and no gas stops or flat tires. phil

For those who have been on the forum for a while, my one and only pic of TWN will probably sense.

Wheat2.jpg

wishing I could have met you Tim!

I am stunned and saddened.

My condolences to his family, and all of my friends on the forum.

We have lost a good man. I'm so glad I went to the Gathering of the Clan in Morro Bay.

Rest In Peace Tim.

Status
Not open for further replies.