We Lost A Great Friend

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Been beatin' Frank for a couple days, first time here since Friday, and then this. I am utterly without words. Or pics. Only loss. Great, deep, loss.

I can't believe this.....first Andrew, now TWN!!!!!

When I joined the Forum, these two were the first to welcome me. Both gone...maybe its time for me to sell the FJR...??

RIP TWN and tell AK we still miss him.

I can't believe this.....first Andrew, now TWN!!!!!
When I joined the Forum, these two were the first to welcome me. Both gone...maybe its time for me to sell the FJR...??

RIP TWN and tell AK we still miss him.

Dude trust me neither of them would want you to do that.

R

Well, shit. Just got back from a 750 mile weekend on the Feejer and came home to check my favorite webpage, and THIS?!?

Never met TWN, but got alot from him by reading posts - someone I had hoped to meet someday. I started reading this thread and just got progressively more pissed and will have to resume later, but RIP and sorry that I never got the chance to hang.

SR

Unbelievable! I'm shocked, this place feels a lot emptier just knowing he's not here, I can only imagine what it must be like for those that are his friends and family. TWN's passing is the equivalent of a mountain or a tree disappearing overnight. You may not be affected directly, but your world will always notice its loss.\

[SIZE=14pt]R.I.P TWN[/SIZE] :rip_1:

I am fairly new here but I have enjoyed his post. He will be surely missed. I just got back from a weekend with some other FJR riders and when i checked the new post I was greatly saddened to here this.

God bless you TWN and you will be in my prayers. My sincere condolences to his family

Oh my Lord. I'm at a loss for words. He was a scholar and a gentleman. I always looked forward to his witty banter and blunt comments that removed all doubt about his honest, true feelings. Tim, I will remember you. You lived a blessed life doing what you enjoyed. I wish I had the opportunity to thank you for the experience of knowing you.

worldbound4now

captain of the team and chairman of the "board"... we will miss you so. You were so supportive to me this year and at NAFO, thank you Tim.

[SIZE=36pt]11,031[/SIZE]

I only know Tim through his posts, but having been a participant here for several months I mourn his loss. My condolences to his family and his many friends here.

Tom

After reading his post and comments, I finally met

Tim at NAFO. I am glad I did. Thanks Tim for

everything. You will be missed by all.

RIP

Joe

So sad to learn of his death. One of the forum giants and obviously a friend to many many here. Thoughts and prayers to his family.

So Saturday morning I ride 50 miles down Highway 38 to meet the folks in Redlands for the group ride up to Big Bear. My friend and riding partner glossblk08 comes up to me and says did you hear that TWN had passed away? I had been away from my computer, so I had not. I was shocked and saddened.

Last April, Sandiegoland put on the LowCal 250. The day before the event, there was an opportunity to meet at a hotel in San Diego for dinner and talk. I got there early and saw Reno John's FJR with its beer keg (fuel cell) riding passenger. I figured RJ was probably resting from his ride down from Reno, so I just hung out by the lobby. After about 10 minutes, TWN pulls up. I had not met him before, but we talked for about a half hour before we went to roust Reno John, who very kindly gave both of us cold Heinekins. I spent all afternoon and most of the evening with them as well as Craig and his wife when they arrived.

My deepest memories of Tim was him telling me how much he liked my VFR and how he really missed his, and he told me that mighty Highway 190 had a website:

https://www.mighty190.com/

The best part of participating in rallies and group rides are the people you meet.

In the pic that pegscraper posted, I am smiling. Right now I have tears in my eyes and am very sad to write this.

Tim, hope you get to take another ride on a VFR with gear-driven cams, like you used to have.

RIP, and peace to his family and friends...

Holy Hell, I'm absolutely blown away by this. The forum will never be the same.

Godspeed my friend.

Wow! Sad news indeed. Everyone enjoy life to the fullest every day, as you surely do not know what the future holds! RIP TWN!

Here is one that will make you cry or smile, depending..

97-DoublebirdTWNandOvale.jpg

When I saw the title of this thread, I opened it with a lot of trepidation.

And then I read Iggy's post on the circumstances of Tim's leaving and all of the contributions others posted to this thread. And I remembered again Tim's warmth and humor and his unselfish service and kindness to most everyone who came his way. And also that he'd recently accomplished some goals he'd set for himself - his service in organizing NAFO, his trip to Alaska, spending time doing what he loved to do...

Yes, there's the sadness of separation, but there's also such gratitude as I realize that I'd had the good fortune to meet this man, and share some little time with him on some great rides and weekends. Thank you, Tim. For everything!

WildTim.jpg
Yosemite, California

June 2nd, 2007

Last edited by a moderator:
I would like to know what he die of? (no, I am not insensitive, just curious.) I am about his age. Tomo is another day!

Ride on

UPDATE 8/23: The Memorial service for Tim is going to be Saturday September 27th, as of yet no time or place has been set. Also sometime around then patty requested that i/we take him on his final ride thru some of his favorite canyons. We are not sure if this will happen the same day or the next day but it Will happen.
-----

I'm having a hard time typing this.....but it's got to be said. We lost Tim "twowheelnut" Bates. He passed away at home Friday evening.

I've just spoken with his wife, Patty, and she said he seemed peaceful and didn't suffer...he just died. He was online several hours before his passing, so I'd like to think he was thinking about us.

I extended to Patty the forum's condolences and to call if there is ANYTHING we can do.

She knew how much we all meant to him and knows how much he meant to us...and will share details about a memorial in the days to come.

And I know we all will miss him. My heart weeps....

But, I'm sure as a fellow forum member observed.....he and Andrew are riding together right now....probably in 5th gear. :)

/ Matt

P.S. We've been through tragedy before on this forum and did very well at grieving respectfully...and I'm thankful we'll be just as graceful this time.

--------------------------

P7240158e.sized.jpg

[SIZE=14pt]twowheelnut[/SIZE]

Tim Bates

1957 - 2008

Until we meet again my friend .......

My heart and my prayers go out to his family and loved ones. I only knew him from this board and I miss him ...... your loss is unimaginable.

Status
Not open for further replies.