WeeStromming the North Sea (renting foreign)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Checkswrecks

Reaction score
I got to spend some time near the North Sea, so rented a WeeStrom Saturday just to poke around. It had a whopping 80 km (<50 miles) when I picked it up from Motoport website, south of Amsterdam's Schiphol airport. As usual in many places in Europe, show up with a driver's license and credit card and you can rent anything from a Scooter to a FJR. I'd packed my own helmet along in case the chance to ride worked out.

Motoport.jpg

For some reason, I wanted to see the ocean, but first passed through Haarlem. Definitiely not New York or Kansas here, Toto. This was one of my favorite photos from the ride:

Haarlem.jpg

Lotsa narrow cobblestones where the FJR would have been a bit wide when cars came the other way, the Wee was the right tool for the job:

Slickcobblestones1.jpg

Note the dampness to the cobblestones. It might as well be grease. The other thing The Netherlands is famous for is the number of speed cameras, which seem to be everywhere. Be aware that if you get a ticket, it'll likely show up later on your credit card that the shop took a copy of.

Slickcobblestones.jpg

Got to the coast. Talk about a prevailling wind - note the lamp post behind the bike:

IceyVstrom.jpg

And finally, bringing the ol' TWN salute to new places. Hey, if you don't get off the 'puter and go ride... ;)

SalutewindmillVstrom.jpg

Made it to Den Haage for lunch and a bunch a small spots on my round trip. Lots of pretty girls, fantastic food, and friendly people everywhere.

The Wee is a great bike and had zero problems at highway speeds. Returned the bike with a couple of hundred new klicks on it for a total bill of about a hundred bucks for the day (72 Euros plus mileage over 100 km). I was thinking of Carver and others headed for Alaska as the helmet rattle made my head hurt. Unfortunately, I didn't have time enough to do the twisties along the southern Dutch border as I had to grab a train to visit family in Germany, but it made for a great chilly day!

Saw a few police bikes, including FJRs, so will have to get those pix off the laptop later.

Bob

Way cool. Did you get any AMS stickers? The stock wee shield is a real rattler. Easily fixed though with a inflight adjustable unit. Thanks for posting, my bud lives in Stavanger, need to get up there to see him.