Went hiking Sunday with the Son and his girlfreind

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

08FJR4ME

-WYNPRO-
Reaction score
So we were walking along the gravel fire roads which run along the two lane country road. This is a section of curvy road well known for motorcycling. The whole time we hiked along the road it was Harley after Harley blapping the f'n pipes when they saw us. Reminded me of when we were kids with the cards on the spokes flapping. You put as many cards as possible on the bike to see how loud you could be. I guess some folks never grow out of it. It was extremely obnoxious after a while. Even when we took the trail into the woods you could still hear them quite loudly. We won’t go back there again needless to say. It’s a beautiful area too. And you wonder why bikers get a bad rep.

Done venting,
Dave

^^^^ Can't agree more. I live very close to a busy neighborhood throughway, with a 30 mph speed limit. Time after time, I've seen (and HEARD) these mental pygmies cruising along at a steady speed, then pull in the clutch, rev the shit out of the thing, then let the clutch back out and continue at the same pace. WTF!?! Gives me very violent, evil thoughts.

Here's an idea. Make the exhaust nice and quiet, say, like an FJR, for example. Have a valve in the exhaust system that has a microphone in it, and have the rider wear bluetooth ear buds or headphones, and send the exhaust signal to the listening device, at any desired setting you want. Go ahead and please yourself with ear-splitting exhaust noise all day if that's what you want. Then you can stop being an inconsiderate, thoughtless, selfish, short-peckered jackass to everyone else. (By the way, not all these d-bags riding by my place are on cruisers, so let's get that out of the way).

Rant over.

Nothing more fun than to ride my 91 HD FLHTCU to an fjrforum event, point the stacks then rev the shit outta it.. Not one feeble fjr pussie even came after me! JSNS!

Nothing more fun than to ride my 91 HD FLHTCU to an fjrforum event, point the stacks then rev the shit outta it.. Not one feeble fjr pussie even came after me! JSNS!
tonguesmiley.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
tonguesmiley.gif
tonguesmiley.gif

innocent.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Don, if you reved all the shit out of it all that would be left is the air in the tires. JSNS
finger.gif

I like the potato, potato, potato sound of many Harley's with straight exhaust at idle. It reminds me of my young years when running inboard motorboats. It's just when they twist the throttle I get annoyed! The only time I rev the engine is with the clutch engaged and it's go time. Of course none of my bikes, the FJR, VFR, or the ZX14 have OEM exhaust, so maybe I'm annoying to others.

The squid bike open exhaust is just as bad as the pirates', IMO. But some of the aftermarket exhaust really sounds nice, if they use the baffles in the can(s). In particular, I like the way that sounds on any V4 engine. The Delkevic exhaust on the Honda ST1300 is really nice. I'd follow that setup all day long.

I actually miss the two brothers cans that I had on my 08... with the baffles on they were still louder than stock but the deep throaty sound of them when you were WOT was really nice. I'm looking forward to hearing what El Toro Joe's new pipes sound like.

The second worst part of it is they crank there shitty sounding stereo's up as much as they can to overcome the sound coming out of the pipes.

REALLY !!!

Agreed, the noise level is a serious problem.

Golden has a monthly 'Super Cruise' of cars and hotrods through downtown, plus there are a number of very popular bar & grill biker hangouts downtown. There have been enough complaints that the police now actually monitor the Super Cruise and generally enforce the sound rules around downtown on most evenings (regardless of it being a Super Cruise weekend or not). https://kdvr.com/2017/06/27/golden-police-revving-up-enforcement-of-illegal-vehicle-exhaust-systems/. So within downtown and the cruise route, sound levels are much more tolerable.

But one of the byproducts of that enforcement is that once a loud cruiser (or a crotch rocket with modified pipes) gets a bit out of downtown and generally leaving the focus enforcement area, such as when getting onto Hwy 58 or 93, they are more likely to use full throttle and let the sound out. So the noise for me (outskirts of Golden) has actually increased and is almost continuous during summer evenings. I live a half mile off Hwy 93, yet I still easily hear that noisy crap from motorcycles.

Absolute absurd, selfish, and disrespectful behavior on the motorccyclists' part (and a few vehicles).

I actually miss the sound of a Hodaka or other two stroke with expansion chamber at full throat.

And I do love the sound of a CBX with a 6 into 1 aftermarket. sexy

I've hiked the Appalachian Trail in Georgia many times over, often backpacking with noobs. "You'll know were almost back to the car when you can hear the motorcycles."

Not just Harley boys, the sportbikers hit high revs and high dBs, too.

For some reason the sportbike noise is more exciting to me. I actually like hearing it. Go figure?

My son was on the trail a while back. He started in March this year in GA and made it as far as VA. He met a girl on the trail and things changed. Another go figure?

Dave

The squid bike open exhaust is just as bad as the pirates', IMO. But some of the aftermarket exhaust really sounds nice, if they use the baffles in the can(s). In particular, I like the way that sounds on any V4 engine. The Delkevic exhaust on the Honda ST1300 is really nice. I'd follow that setup all day long.
For me it's Rinehart dual exhaust on a big Harley bagger. That setup is a joy to follow all day long.