What Are My Rights ?!?! 48 extra miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guamwild

Reaction score
So I'm riding my new 2015ES through central Florida, cruise control on, minding my own business, enjoying life, when suddenly up from the side of the road a vulture flies up from it's carrion, but instead of flying off into the trees, it heads straight at me ! No time to react, the big bird hits the front end, cartwheels off my left shoulder and ends up a heap of black feathers behind me on the road. At the time, I thought it just hit my touring windscreen and that was it (no damage to the windscreen). Thought wow, that doesn't happen every day ! But, at the next fuel stop I take a look at the front end, and there's blood and feathers everywhere ! Not to mention a busted right headlamp and cracked fairing !

So I take the bike to the dealer where I bought it's service dept. Work out the quote with the insurance co., everything's cool. $2K of repairs, I pay my $500 deductible, and pick up the bike the next week. Do a walk around, everything looks in order. They even washed it and topped off the tank. So, I reset Trip1 (on a different screen from the ODO as I have it configured) as I always do to keep track of fuel mileage and drove off. Then...the next day I'm rolling through the info screens and see the ODO has a lot more miles than it should ! Long story short, they put 48 miles on the beast while in their possession.

So now worse case scenarios are running through my head, some young technician took it out for a 50 mile joy ride, redlining the engine, quick shifting the tranny, and generally wreaking havoc on MY BIKE, causing long term damage that won't rear it's ugly head until months from now.

They really didn't need to test ride it at all, no engine work done, only body work.

I brought it to their attention, the CSR says "oh I need to check with the technician..." No answer yet. I'm not letting it go. But don't have a sense of what adequate compensation is. I took a picture of the ODO and Trip1 displays the next day to prove the pickup mileage. And drop off mileage is documented by the dealer.

Has anyone encountered this situation ?

What are my rights ?!?!

Last edited by a moderator:
Seems a little excessive, but if they did a good job on the repairs, in the end it's no big deal.

I'd definitely ask for and want an explanation for the additional miles...

--G

Yeah I can understand. That would torque me a little too if there is no good explanation. Probably say he had to road test the tupperware or something.

Keep us posted as to what they say...

Don't know that I've ever checked. I think I'd just ride it as I don't know what "adequate compensation" is. I'm thinking "adequate compensation" is a fairytale. I can't figure out why a tech that has access to R6s and R1s would go take a portly FJR out and horse beat it. As Iggy said, stress less, ride more.

Hey, after realizing you have a brand new '15, let me ask you this:

How many miles were on the bike when you took it in? Is it possible they switched your miles to Kilometers and you have so few miles that it only added 48kms?

Well, my dealer puts at least 15 miles on mine every time. And I doubt your tech rides repair bikes like a hoon, or the local police would take notice.

Oh, and I'm glad that buzzard didn't cause you to need bodywork.

And another thing .... how in the world does one suffer $2,000 of body work damage to an FJR?

And one more thing .... you gonna put a dead buzzard in your signature? That would be cool.

I'd ride more, stress less, and change dealers if it still bothered me after the long ride. But, that's just me.
Agree.....and any dealer who completes a major service or repair on one of my bikes without screwing it up is welcome to take a 48 mile test ride.

Oh, yeah, and considering animal strikes are considered comprehensive, and most comprehensive deductibles like that are zero, or very little, I'd be looking at the insurance company as the one screwing me, not the dealer.

Ignacio - Do you work for Riva Motorsports in Pompano Beach FL and do some body work on a liquid graphic FJR last month ? ; - )

HotRodZilla - 8,507 miles on drop-off (that's right 8K in 3 mnths ! over 10K now in 5, 1 trip to Hill Country, 2 trips to Dragon country, all from south Florida, which, if you're an FJR owner, is riding hell), 8,555 on pick-up.

Uncle Hud - pretty much a full front end replacement racked up the $2K. After the $500 deductible, I was like, whatever... And I'll see what I can get posted on the dead buzzard concept...

Teehami - thanks, I know it's not the end of the world, but it's a trust thing. I left my bike there to get repaired, not for some kid to zip up and down I95 on.

I assume this was a comprehensive loss claim and does not count against your accident rate. Deer are the same way. $2K is a pretty easy bill to rack up for a nose piece, side fairing windshield and miscellaneous stuff. I doubt I'd have noticed the 48 miles, but it will be interesting to hear what is said. How many miles are on the bike? I kind of like the miles vs kilometers theory.

You shoulda dropped it off with an empty tank...

smile.png

ferris_bueller.jpg

Ignacio - Do you work for Riva Motorsports in Pompano Beach FL and do some body work on a liquid graphic FJR last month ? ; - )
HotRodZilla - 8,507 miles on drop-off (that's right 8K in 3 mnths ! over 10K now in 5, 1 trip to Hill Country, 2 trips to Dragon country, all from south Florida, which, if you're an FJR owner, is riding hell), 8,555 on pick-up.
Sounds like good questions for a PM as this thread is not about any of those subjects. And at least one is pretty well answered by my location. ;)

Sounds like good questions for a PM as this thread is not about any of those subjects. And at least one is pretty well answered by my location. ;)
To be fair, Matt, they kind of were. I brought up the mileage thing, wondering if low miles and a switch to KM could have resulted in the 48 "mile" difference. With over 8k miles at drop-off, I wasn't on the right track.

I still don't think anyone was railing on the OP's bike, even if 48 miles does seem excessive to him. As someone mentioned, if this dealer had a guy doing that, it wouldn't take long to draw unwanted attention...