What Are My Rights ?!?! 48 extra miles

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think the question is about 48 miles, it's about a perceived violation of trust. If you're asking what the fair compensation is for 48 miles, they've likely exceeded that dollar amount by filling the tank.

If we're talking about a violation of trust where a tech took your bike for a joy ride, you need to find out if that's the case. I'd ask the dealer why they felt it necessary to ride it that many miles to make sure the job was done correctly. They may have a valid answer. Maybe it took several adjustments before it was done satisfactorily. Maybe you're right and they have an issue with a tech that they're not aware of that you'd be bringing to light. In other words, you don't really know what the story is.

In any case, I'd try to avoid making any assumptions at this point and find out the why's first. You only need to think about "fair compensation" if you don't feel the answer is justifiable.

1000% agree....

Bike must be now named BUZZARD and be declared in your signature !

Awesome story, glad you were not injured.

Don't sweat the peasily mileage, not worth your energy. If you worry and stress about everything in life to a T, you'll die of a heart attack... Lower your blood pressure and enjoy life

Things could have been much worse, like this young man.

Put into perspective, 48 miles on a broke-in-bike, by the dealer, really is infintiesimal. You escaped the bird strike unscathed. Count your blessings.

Maybe there's a good explanation..... like the techie wanted to make sure your forks weren't bent, had to find a road that would test it.... the ride was really 24 miles, cuz he had to get back.... filled up the tank, good on them. I'd let them explain, but really wouldn't sweat it too much......

UPDATE: Okay, drama over. Stopped by the shop today because what I didn't mention before was they forgot to order and install the plastic cover that goes on the inside of the fairing, right side in this case. So that part is ordered and should be installed next weekend. Then we discussed the infamous 48 extra miles. No real plausible explanation still, but after a friendly chat I got a coupon for a free oil/filter change (~$150 value ? (I started high, a new FJR, but they got me all the way down to an oil change (jk))).

So all is right in the world...we're moving on to the next adventure (Tail of the Dragon, last week of August). Thanks all for your feedback and perspective...

So, guamwild, I've eaten Crow so I know what that tastes like, but how does Buzzard taste?

I don't think the question is about 48 miles, it's about a perceived violation of trust.
That makes a lot of sense to me. I don't think you are materially out of anything that deserves compensation, or that can even be valued, except the trust. So IMHO since you're concerned about this, you were right to bring it up with the dealer. The dealer also needs to know if he / she has someone behaving inappropriately at the business; and you deserve an explanation. But $$$? I don't see that at all.

<Just caught up with the explanation, but opted to leave my AMAZING comment above anyway.
mda.gif
>

Last edited by a moderator:
My dealer never puts any miles on my bike. Because I never bring it there for anything.

Except once, after I hit a deer and destroyed the entire front end of the bike (farings, headlight etc.). My total bill was $1600, and my insurance comprehensive deductible was $250. You did know that having a vulture (or bambi) hit you is not a collision, right?

As for he test ride miles, if they did everything else right, I guess I wouldn't sweat it. Hell, I ride that far just to get gas sometimes.
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So, guamwild, I've eaten Crow so I know what that tastes like, but how does Buzzard taste?
Dunno how it tastes but it smells like dookie. In fact a lot like my own dookie. When I hit a buzzard, bounced it up and left off the windshield, I recall a distinct feeling of "Damn!! Someone just shit in my pants!!" Only damage to mine was a little scuff on the windshield and on my helmet. Stayed upright but don't know how.

You're lucky g-wild, those things are frikkin huge up close and personal.

This is a lesson to anyone that has not come across buzzards on carrion (and sometimes you don't see them). When they take off at the last second, they frequently do not clear the closing vehicle, and thus become buzzard bait themselves. I have had plenty of close calls and learned to swing wide or sound the horn a distance off.

Ride004small.jpg

This is a lesson to anyone that has not come across buzzards on carrion (and sometimes you don't see them). When they take off at the last second, they frequently do not clear the closing vehicle, and thus become buzzard bait themselves. I have had plenty of close calls and learned to swing wide or sound the horn a distance off.
TominCA,

Good advice, especially about using the horn strongly, and 'way early. The big soaring birds do not like to flap, to climb out. They will launch, usually with a full belly, and follow the heat coming off the highway to climb as they flap. That means they are flying directly in your path for much longer than a human would call "reasonable," and maybe even head-on. In the USA, we lose a lot of eagles this way, and the highway department may even put up warning signs.

maine-eagles.jpg

090bb2bd1e41ed6ef3fd5c4d87db0473.jpg

Cheers,

Infrared

Getting away from the birds and back to the unauthorized miles . . . Tonight on the news I saw this story, and it made go back and find this thread. Of course, it's makes for a better tv news story when there's some nice dramatic video of all the places the guy took the car.

Just in case the link doesn't work, here's what happened. Lady takes her Kia in to a Denver-area dealership to get the radio volume control fixed. FOUR days later, she gets it back, the radio still doesn't work, there's 200 extra miles on the odo, and when she plays back the dash cam video, there is 17 hours of some service jackwad driving all over, running his personal errands. At least in this case, though, the joker did end up getting canned by the dealership. Seems fair to me.