What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The ride home was a bit better than expected, just over 277 miles for the after work adventure.

I sure could have used the MV riser (sitting in the garage waiting for install)

So my BIL and I did the maintenance on his bike. Rear drive, oil change, lubed brake and clutch hand levers, installed Speed Bleeders, flushed the clutch and brakes, and replaced the plugs.

The clutch fluid was low, and the rear brake reservoir was nearly empty. Looked like the fluid had never been changed. After we cleaned the levers up and the bike had new fluid, Mike was super happy with the feel. It was way better.

Learned a 2003 comes apart different than an '07. Some stuff is slightly easier, and some stuff is a little harder. Still, not bad. Plugs looked great but were pretty loose. It immediately ran better upon start-up, so maybe better spark.

The bike only has 35k, and a set of Hella lights under the mirrors. Other than that, it's a standard FJR, and should run for miles! Nice.

Last edited by a moderator:
Added a dynaplug kit to my tool set, with a few extra plugs. I've been riding way yo long without issue to keep chancing not having a way to fix a flat.

Still need a compressor, OH which way to go on this, frugal of fancy??

Rode yesterday and will again today.

Added a dynaplug kit to my tool set, with a few extra plugs. I've been riding way yo long without issue to keep chancing not having a way to fix a flat.
Still need a compressor, OH which way to go on this, frugal of fancy??

Rode yesterday and will again today.
I bought a cheap small compresor at Walmart. I removed the outer plastic case to reduce the size of it. It fits in the very back of the bike nicely.
Dave

Got 2 new tires put on @ SSB (and gave my son the take offs since his were bald).

Put on my 2nd Fiam horn (sounds like a Buick) DAMHIK

Leaving tomorrow for a week long COG Rally in Missouri (2 up) for our first bike trip (2-gether).
punk.gif

Got 2 new tires put on @ SSB (and gave my son the take offs since his were bald).
punk.gif
So did you have them clean your white walls after installation? (this is in their list for mounting sport bike tires)

I bought a cheap small compresor at Walmart. I removed the outer plastic case to reduce the size of it. It fits in the very back of the bike nicely.
Dave
Need details. Which one, how small does it get, etc.

Son needs a compressor for his '05. Coming home for his 100k mile service (finally) this weekend.

Fred, I did the same as Dave mentioned above. It may have been a Campbell-Hausfield?? the actual motor and compressor take up about 2 x 5 x 3 inches IIRC. Its still in the bike. It fit easily under the passenger seat, aft of the Givi 357 crossbar and partially below rear tail lights.

My 2014 came with a Slime pump (Ed Snocat was a proficient outfitter) but that is still in it original case. Someday that will be pared down to its essential components and packed into the underseat area too.

I rode mine to work again today. From a wooded scenic location near Bethel ME. Played hooky yesterday afternoon to ride the Kanc, Bear Notch Rd, Hurricane Mtn Rd and Evans notch. All in fairly good shape. Stopping was highly discouraged however as the black flies were extremely hungry.

I rode mine to work again today. From a wooded scenic location near Bethel ME. Played hooky yesterday afternoon to ride the Kanc, Bear Notch Rd, Hurricane Mtn Rd and Evans notch. All in fairly good shape. Stopping was highly discouraged however as the black flies were extremely hungry.
I hope to be there Sunday to Tuesday. Camping two nights at Moose Brook Park near Gorham NH. Those roads (and more) are on the list for this trip.

@FJReady - Thanks. I have a Motopumps kit on the FJR that has come in handy a couple of times. Forget what I paid back then, but the current models look different in construct and admission price. I think that pump is a pared down Campbell Hausfield too. I also have a Slime pump in the 'Strom, but that takes up a lot of space. Since I can get it to fit in the tail of that bike, and the case includes a pressure gauge of questionable accuracy, I've not been motivated to condense that one (yet).

Glad to hear the northern roads are flattened out. My last trip over the Kank Pass earlier this spring was good on the east side but awfully rough going back down the west side. Just the opposite of what it had been in 2016. I knew Bear Notch was open but was not sure about the others.

@RossKean - Be sure to pack the Deet and maybe a head net. I was near some running water a short time ago and the black flies are in full force. No problem while moving on the bike, but they do provide motivation to get moving again. Plus a few always manage to find their way inside your helemet when you slow down too much, so you have to flip the face shield up to clear them out before they take their pound of flesh. Have fun!

Dave
Need details. Which one, how small does it get, etc.

Son needs a compressor for his '05. Coming home for his 100k mile service (finally) this weekend.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I couldn't get to it yesterday cause I was replacing another caliper & pads on the truck last night. So here you go.

Rear cubby spot for compressor.

DSCN0950_zpsdocca8gl.jpg

Brand tag: on the left is a set of jumper cables I made. They are not part of the compressor.
DSCN0945_zpsigrvepm7.jpg

Stripped her down in preparation to pull the motor. 2nd gear is bad (dogs). Everything but the clutch release cylinder (I hate the drip, drip, drip). I'll do that right before the motor drop.

Stripped her down in preparation to pull the motor. 2nd gear is bad (dogs). Everything but the clutch release cylinder (I hate the drip, drip, drip). I'll do that right before the motor drop.
Keep us posted, I'd like to follow along. This has been done a few times on this forum, but not a lot.

I took my saddlebags off and went for a ride. I need to get the Tech Spec saddlebag protectors. I keep hitting them with my boots. I also rode it for the first time in several weeks. Weekends now consist of baseball games or basketball games (2 boys, 15 & 16). I'm trying to make as many of their games as humanly possible. The bike can wait. It's tucked away nicely in the corner of the garage under a nice cover with a Battery Tender Jr. hooked up.

rode it to work...first day back to work, since an incredible 6607 mile, 13 day trip, out to YFO and beyond.
punk.gif

Not mine any more, but it was once. Performed the 100k miles (major) service on the old Bass Bote Blue '05 that now belongs to my son. He's taking pretty good care of it, which makes his old man happy, and she still looks pretty darned good for her age and miles.

Valve check was pretty routine. Only odd thing is that some of the intakes actually grew clearance (.01 - .02mm) since 25k miles ago when I sanded the shims. They are still all in spec but at the high end. My theory is that I may have left some "tooth" (microscopic roughness) on the shim faces from sanding that got knocked down by the hammering valves. That's fine, it will just mean that they will most likely never need to be adjusted again.

I also installed my home-made fix to the Penske shock clevis bolt problem and it fit perfectly. No signs of clevis cracking, but I'm sure that I was just lucky, or had not tightened that shoulder bolt and nut all that much.

We also installed a newly refurbished used relay arm in the old girl at the same time. It was nice to see that the bearing in the old one are holding up fine with the regular 25k-ish maintenance. The body of the relay arm is totally sand blasted, but the innards look fine.

Did all the rest of the major maintenance stuff: brake fluid flush, coolant and plugs changed (old CR8E's were pretty worn at 25k miles) lube and check everything. I'm spoiled with my 2014 not needing so much attention, but ole' blue sure did. She's all set frop another 25k which could be a very long time now. Being a busy outdoorsy kinda couple, they are not putting the miles on it like I did. And if they have kids anytime soon like they are hinting at, they may come even slower.

But he loves old bass bote blue, smart boy. These bikes never cease to amaze me with how well they hold up.