What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed the hellibar bridge. Not too hard to do. I like the little bleeder but the shape of the line seems baffling.

Helped Pop install a new battery in his '07. Had to disassemble the Tupperware because something broke internally while he was taking things apart and he could not identify it. Found the broken piece, installed battery, put things back together... Bike will not start. Starter spins furiously, motor will not fire.

I was late for work and furious with myself because I had to leave him with his bike not running. On my way home the light bulb came on! I had forgotten to reconnect the ground wire for the Power Commander. I called him as soon as I got home, told him what I thought was the problem. Called again when I got to work, he had reconnected the wire, the bike was running.

He was happy with me, he appreciated me coming over to bail him out. I just ordered the piece that goes over the top of the battery. At the front is a tab with a "nut". That is what had broken off, not anyone's fault. It never ends.

Last edited by a moderator:
Helped Pop install a new battery in his '07. Had to disassemble the Tupperware because something broke internally while he was taking things apart and he could not identify it. Found the broken piece, installed battery, put things back together... Bike will not start. Starter spins furiously, motor will not fire.
I was late for work and furious with myself because I had to leave him with his bike not running. On my way home the light bulb came on! I had forgotten to reconnect the ground wire for the Power Commander. I called him as soon as I got home, told him what I thought was the problem. Called again when I got to work, he had reconnected the wire, the bike was running.

He was happy with me, he appreciated me coming over to bail him out. I just ordered the piece that goes over the top of the battery. At the front is a tab with a "nut". That is what had broken off, not anyone's fault. It never ends.
Had that happen to me 'several' years ago - repaired it using Plastex, it was a bit fiddly but has not been a problem since.

Had that happen to me 'several' years ago - repaired it using Plastex, it was a bit fiddly but has not been a problem since.
I've used JB Weld for plastic and will again in the spring for broken tabs.

https://www.amazon.com/J-B-Weld-8237-PlasticWeld-Plastic/dp/B003S2E4UE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1424020295&sr=8-1&keywords=jbweld+plastic

I considered a repair but the new part was $21. I will just fix it back properly and hope for the best. I often have to work harder if Pop begins the job before I get there... I don't remember it being that way when I was growing up.

Talked to Pop on my way to work, he is very happy. His old battery must have been weak and going bad for a while. Pop says the starter spins faster, the bike idles smoother and the throttle response seems sharper. He was reluctant to tell me because he did not want me to think he was being silly about what the battery would affect. I told him a weak battery would affect the bike in all sorts of goofy ways, it has been documented on this forum.

He was sick with a cold while I was working on the bike, I think that led to him being less useful than normal.

BTW, the battery was $160 at the dealership. I have never bought a battery for an FJR so I don't know if that is right or not. The only battery I ever bought for my ST1300 was $130. Of course, it was from that same dealership...

Nothing to the bike but I did replace the battery in my gps today. It was getting old and tired, lasting a good 12 minutes before the "low battery" warning started flashing. I use a Garmin nuvi780, it was easier than I thought it would be.

Soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.....I rode Jackie-O to work again today. Was 36 degrees out.

Installed my new Laam Seats!

Awesome while sitting in the garage making vroom vroom noises while it is sleeting outside!

Last edited by a moderator:
Installed my brand new SHAD SH39 top box. It came with a free upgrade to a faux carbon fiber cover, it looks pretty nice.

The brackets and crap that are required to install it are junk. I will absolutely have to find a Givi SR357 and do some retrofitting.

I installed the new, in headlight, daytime running lights/turn signals. They look pretty good and add (IMHO) some really custom cool points. I will take pictures tomorrow and post.

If I had known how much trouble it was to remove and re-install the headlight, I would have not done it.

Oh, and changed the oil for 134,400 miles.

• Installed Fenda Extenda after using ABS cement yesterday to fasten it to the front fender - a major engineering feat for the likes of me

(Bike related but indirectly related to FJR) Installed 1/2 " nickel plated grommet in the pocket of my Olympia Phantom one piece suit so I can now wear and use my corded Powerlet heated vest while wearing the suit - waterproof nature of suit retained because the grommet is in the pocket and the zipper seals around the wire
Set Powerlet adapters and connectors in and around the RAM mount and SAE battery lead to power my iPhone, a/k/a my motorcycle GPS unit