What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Installed some aftermarket levers I picked up from either this or the other forum. They've been laying around for a while so I figured WTH, let's do it!

IMG_20161001_091706235_zps7fapxxf0.jpg

So to give them a try I took a ride round-the-block. About 265 miles later......

Cumberland%20Knob%201_zps9qow9ov8.jpg

Cumberland%20Knob%202_zpsmvqsbowt.jpg

Cumberland%20Knob%203_zps2u3kyxzz.jpg

Cumberland%20Knob%204_zpscrls9a83.jpg

.....I decided I really like them. Shaped differently than factory, 6 adjustment positions. Much more comfortable for me.

which brand is your 12v socket on right hand-bar?
Who are you asking? It really helps if you'd use the quote button.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So anywho, another little ride round-the-block, some 375 miles. Some more local to western NC might recognize the pic. It's the meeting place of the Eastern Continental Divide, the Blue Ridge Parkway and NC Hwy 80.

Hwy%2080%20and%20BRP_zpscxn09yz3.jpg

And I think my battery is beginning to croak. A couple of times my bike had the fast starter syndrome. Wouldn't start unless it was WOT and then it sputtered for a moment then was ok. Very strange in that my bike has NEVER exhibited this behavior. No other indications like (typical spider bite) high beam or turn signal indicators, gauges/clock reset, etc. Just a hiccup once in a while. But the 2nd to last stop on the way home I noticed as I was pulling out the engine seriously hiccuped then farted then ran ok, all in conjunction with the cooling fans coming on. I plugged in my little volt meter. It read 12.4 stationary/not running, 13.2 at idle and 14.4 at 3000 rpm. So I'm assuming the charging system is ok, just my nearly 10 y/o OEM battery is finally giving up. I've got a MotoBatt sitting around just begging to be used.

Last edited by a moderator:
I ask u...
I'm assuming that you mean me. It helps if you use the "quote" button, no confusion that way.

The reservoir cover/ball and power socket are from MCL. A few yrs back there became a problem for MCL to obtain parts to assemble the socket setup so it is no longer available from them. I don't think anyone else made the socket setup. The socket and leads are still available from Powerlet as well as MCL but the mount for it is not, at least as far as I have heard. I use it for powering my gps so I had to get a "special" cable form gpscity.com since the Powerlet socket (commonly called the "BMW-style socket") is smaller than the standard cigarette lighter socket in the glove box.

After towing it back in the rain for 10 hours coming back from EOM, I was gonna give its last wash (and second) of the season.

Instead I ended up going for a 150 mile ride instead.

I'm good like that.

I ask u...
I'm assuming that you mean me. It helps if you use the "quote" button, no confusion that way.

The reservoir cover/ball and power socket are from MCL. A few yrs back there became a problem for MCL to obtain parts to assemble the socket setup so it is no longer available from them. I don't think anyone else made the socket setup. The socket and leads are still available from Powerlet as well as MCL but the mount for it is not, at least as far as I have heard. I use it for powering my gps so I had to get a "special" cable form gpscity.com since the Powerlet socket (commonly called the "BMW-style socket") is smaller than the standard cigarette lighter socket in the glove box.
thank u very much

quote button doesn' funcion on my smartphone

sorry

Rode it to work today...first time since returning from EOM (fairly crap weather all last week). I also washed my suit over the weekend to revive the DWR and remove over a year's worth of stink and bug juice...it was nice. ;)

Hopefully, I will pick her up from the prescribed 40,000-mile preventive maintenance .... which is being performed with 43,500 on the odo.

The rain finally subsided and I got a chance to try out my brand new Laam seat. 2 1/2 hours in the saddle, and my butt felt the same when I got back as before I left. Score!!!

Since the sun moved back to its natural orbit, it's been possible to take Elvira out during daylight hours without sweating like a whore in church..

Lunch meetings, pleasant evening rides, trips to the hills, oh my..

Went over to Indiana and met up with Blacknwhite to get some new tires put on for Hooterville(late arrival on Saturday)

Amazing what new tires feel like when the ones you have been rolling on are so bald and flat from so many commuting miles. Almost was unnerving until I got used to them.

Thanks Allen and Mike.

Started packing it for the Void Rally this weekend. Knowing our history on the Void, throwing in extra rain gear.....

Flogged the ponies hard today at Hooterville trying to keep up with a....buncha hooligans
grin.gif

Today, I dreamed about riding my FJR on these New England roads. The riding in Vermont and New Hampshire is friggin amazing. This has to be one of the best kept motorcycle secrets in the country.

Pants, are you going to have time to make upstate New York? Maine, New Hampshire, Vermont, all beautiful areas.