What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
BURRRRR. Good luck BkerChuck. Mighty cold here in PA.

Go for it Sat. the 6th will be about 11Degree F for the high.

Today was 27F started out at 6F

Saturday and today were just brutal. 10 degrees both days but I went out anyway. Got 10 miles in each day keeping the streak alive. Today makes 294 consecutive, the number I had back in March when Mother Nature dry humped me with a bad snowstorm. Weather forecast for coming week calling for better weather maybe even hitting 50! Keeping my dream of a perfect year alive!

I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember the last time I rode. I could check my fuelly logs for the last fill-up, but I think that would just make me depressed..

Two FJRs in the garage unridden.. sniff..

I'll openly admit, however, that since having someone to ride with (pillion), riding alone doesn't have quite the appeal. In better weather, I'll always take the bike to run errands or to a business meeting if practical, but I really look forward to those all-day (or weekend) rides with my girl behind me.

I'm embarrassed to say I don't remember the last time I rode. I could check my fuelly logs for the last fill-up, but I think that would just make me depressed..
Two FJRs in the garage unridden.. sniff..

I'll openly admit, however, that since having someone to ride with (pillion), riding alone doesn't have quite the appeal. In better weather, I'll always take the bike to run errands or to a business meeting if practical, but I really look forward to those all-day (or weekend) rides with my girl behind me.
It's good to be able to share the activities we enjoy with the ones we love! Good on ya..... and good on your girl.
smilingsmiley.gif

Paul

Saturday and today were just brutal. 10 degrees both days but I went out anyway. Got 10 miles in each day keeping the streak alive. Today makes 294 consecutive, the number I had back in March when Mother Nature dry humped me with a bad snowstorm. Weather forecast for coming week calling for better weather maybe even hitting 50! Keeping my dream of a perfect year alive!
While a daily streak is amazing, a weeks or months ridden is more than respectable. Even if your daily streak was broken last year, I suspect your weekly or monthly streak exceeds almost anyone here.

Weather forecast for today calling for freezing rain starting around 10 or 11:00 am with a winter weather advisory until around 7:00 tonight with potentially icy road conditions. Got up 30 minutes early and went for 12 mile ride before breakfast in order to maintain streak. After today temps are supposed to climb with a forecast of 50 degrees for Friday. Day 295 complete. New battery at home on charger should get installed tonight after work.

Dude... if you make it through March, in PA, that would be freaking incredible.

Curious now, does it have to be "10 miles"? For the sake of authenticity, could you gear up, ride down the street with both legs out for additional balance over the sand, salt, and black ice, run up the driveway, and call it a day? I'm not here to judge. Just want to understand what you are trying to do.

Pants, This whole thing started for me based upon a an acquaintance of mine that I'm friends with on Facebook, Blaine Paulus is from near Carlisle, PA and was a customer years back at the Harley shop I worked for. I think if you go back further in this thread I posted a link about him from Revzilla.com to one of their "Common Thread" articles that tells his story. He was working a fair distance from home and rode every day to save fuel when he and a coworker discussed the ability to ride a "perfect year" as a PA resident. I'm following the guidelines they set up calling out a 10 mile ride at one shot for it to count. Most days I put on more but when the weather truly sucks like it has for the past 10 days or so I have a quick "cheat route" that I use just riding the 1.5 miles to an interstate, jumping on and going 2 exits then returning home.

I don't know if Guinness has ever accepted Blaine as a world record holder but he keeps meticulous logs of his rides and can document more than 17 YEARS without missing a day. He owns multiple bikes and has 2 light weight dual sports set up with studded knobbies for snow and ice riding. I had hoped to have another bike more suited for the task but it never came to pass so my miles are on the FJR. My documentation isn't as elaborate as his but I'd really only be cheating myself by not living up to my own expectations. I've heard lots of folks tell me they ride everyday but I'm actually out doing it and posting it up here. TBH if the weather should end my streak I don't know if I'd try again right away the next time. My insistence on being able to ride every single day has prompted me to miss out on some other activities that would have put me somewhere without my bike.I'm hoping to complete my year and if it happens I will continue and see just how many days I can make it before weather or something else stops me.

I appreciate all the comments and the cheering section here that is supporting my effort! Hard for me to fathom that some of you don't ride because it gets too hot! LOL. One of my IBA saddlesore rides was done on the hottest weekend of the year back in 2016 and the heat index was around 110 degrees.

Rode it to work this morning. After the severe cold weather we've been having 21 degrees felt almost balmy. Saw 46 yesterday afternoon so i managed to get about 40 miles in after work. Not really a lot by FJR standards but pretty good for January in PA. Weather guessers say we might see 60 on Friday. Sure hope I remember to go to work that day.....Day 297 in the books.

Rode to work, in the rain. Didn't really care though because it's 59 degrees already here and it's just a light rain. Latest forecast says we could see 66 degrees later today but a winter weather advisory is in effect starting at midnight and lasting until Saturday morning. Welcome to PA! Day 299 complete!

It's been colder here for 8 of the first 12 day in the new year with most overnight lows at -10F or colder, with daytimes rarely getting past the single digits.

So to try and brighten my day I will be installing a Admore lite kit in the V56nnt. Both are in the house warming up for the tinkering.

Santa was good for the farkles. Got this for to complement the v47 I picked up a year ago, it is just a little small for a weekend or longer....works great for day rides and commuting.

Have not had the the required morning Crazy Fox Coffee to even think yet much less function.

Last edited by a moderator:
Saturday was day 300 in my attempt for a perfect year. 28 degrees a far cry from the 63 Friday on my way home from work.

Today, day 301 was done in 14 degree weather but all roads near my house are nice and clean after Friday's rain.

This past Sunday, I wanted to get the bike out and give it a good run. So I left early to make my way up to Prescott for breakfast. Which taking the scenic route is about 2.25 hrs each way. The roads were surprisingly very good up in the high country. Considering there was snow in some spots off to the side. This was the first time I have ever cranked the heated grips to high since owning. Which i was thankful to have on my bike. My hands were cold. The fun factor with this machine never ceases to amaze me. Blasting through the twisties, and or stretching her legs in the straights. Best $5.8k I've ever spent. Every time, I think it's time for something different. This bike places a silly ass grin back on my face. WTH was I thinking? Failed to mention that it just hit 25k miles yesterday on the ride. Barely broken in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Further blurring the line between being committed and maybe I should be committed I just put day 303 in the books with a quick midnight ride ahead of the predicted snowfall. 12 miles at 23 degrees but on a bright note, no traffic! At least if it does snow I have until Wednesday at midnight for our roads to be clear.

I appreciate all the comments and the cheering section here that is supporting my effort! Hard for me to fathom that some of you don't ride because it gets too hot! LOL. One of my IBA saddlesore rides was done on the hottest weekend of the year back in 2016 and the heat index was around 110 degrees.
I applaud your commitment. I'm aiming to ride weekly through Seattle's moderate winter. Was almost 60 degrees yesterday. Got in some great miles over the past two days.

I applaud your commitment. I'm aiming to ride weekly through Seattle's moderate winter. Was almost 60 degrees yesterday. Got in some great miles over the past two days.
I worked Sunday and some of my riding friends sent me pictures of where they were riding. Ba****ds!

So while they worked yesterday, I rode here in the Pacific Northwet. What an awesome day. The mountains were majestic but by the end of the day, mother nature was blowing another storm in.