What did you do to your FJR today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Saturday, we rode a little over 400 miles through the flatlands of middle and south Georgia; my next-to-last ride in this year's Team Strange Grand Tour of Georgia. Most of the trip was on I-20 because I needed to get home and make the basement ready for a new table saw.

Spotwalla is here.

I try to hit one non-rally stop on these GTGA rides just for variety. Saturday's stop was at the bird dog graveyard near .... well, near nowhere. Back in the early 1950s, the owner of Eagle Pencils owned 8,000 acres south of Waynesville where he hunted quail. Now, it's the Di-Lane Wildlife Management Area (translation: State-owned hunting grounds). During his ownership, all his bird dogs, his wife's jumper horses, and household pets were respectfully buried in this cemetery. The sign said 122 bird dogs, one pet cat, two pet dogs, and two mules. Each has a headstone with name, birth date, death date, and short inscription. Very quiet place under live oaks with long tails of Spanish moss.

44705734105_766595c0bd_z.jpg

Lat/Lon: 32.95732, -82.06937 Three hundred yards of thin sugar sand over a solid base of red clay.

Well Sunday really, not today but installed new coolant bottle and while in the vicinity, new radiator cap.

Original bottle was brittle, cracked, leaking.

Plugged in the battery tender this morning, more than an inch of snow and the roads turned icy over night. Tonight's low forecast for 23F. Officially YUK.

Plugged in the battery tender this morning, more than an inch of snow and the roads turned icy over night. Tonight's low forecast for 23F. Officially YUK.
I wish you'd just keep that shit up there...but we are supposed to get some of the white stuff starting this weekend.
cold.gif
angry01.gif

Put it in the garage and covered it up.Any more rides this year will be on the wing with the heat.

Last night, I went to replace the grips and add the Vstrom handguards. For some stupid reason the PO decided to cut off the heated grips and put cheap aftermarket grips on it. I almost cried after removing the passenger grip.... the F*cktard CUT a couple of inches of the ends of the handlebars to make the grips fit.

What in the world would convince someone to cut handle bars to put on cheap aftermarket grips????? I guess I will add handlebars to the cheap watchlist.

Post up something in the "Wanted" section, vthokies03. Somebody might have handlebars left over from a conversion or crashed bike.

Road to work today. Temp was about 40, guess I should have put the winter gloves on for this ride (or plugged the heated grips in).

I need to finish winterizing my bike. The bigger shield is on and the Vstrom handguards are on. The handguards are a nice addition, blocks most of the wind from hitting your hands. I need to pull off the front fairing pieces and get to under the nose of the bike. The grip wires run somewhere up under there, I need to find where they actually plug into.

It looks like I might have an exhaust leak also. I noticed air coming out near the bottom front of the pipes. Ill have to investigate more, or just use it as an excuse to change the pipes... and have the ECU flashed.......

Its days like today that I am GLAD I swapped the FZ1 for the FJR!!!! I have had pleny of cold experiences riding the FZ1.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rode it to work, AND passed a Google Street View car in the middle of the Cumberland interchange. Waved frantically as I rode by, of course.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looked at it sitting there with the bed sheet covering it. It is sitting there waiting for me to do another valve check, brake pads and Caliper disassembly/cleaning, bleed clutch and brakes, at least flush the forks if not do a rebuild, sell my two Ohlins rear shocks and go Penski, Lube rear shock pivot bearings and what ever else I find!

The S-10 is getting rode some but my big garage project is really taking most of my time! The FJR deserves the rest and the Maintenance as she has been used hard the last couple of riding seasons with just oil changes and air cleaner cleanings.