What Do You Wish You Could Transport On Your Bike?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yamahamama

Reaction score
I read somewhere that someone wished they could haul their surfboard on their motorcycle. I'd love to bring my sewing machine etc. for those times I join friends in Yosemite or Mendocino for quilting retreats. Heck, I'd even settle for a non-backpack way to transport my banjo!

What would you like to bring? Golf clubs? Scuba gear? Kayak? Drum set?

Oh, and I don't mean you get to use a trailer or a trike--just a standard 2-wheeler.

Yeah, kinda.

M2HB.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've already done the golf clubs. It's a great way to expand my territory, golf-wise. I'd like to haul my fishing boat with it. Or at least my float rig and all the necessary gear. Of course my favorite cargo is my wife. :D Yeah, that should score me some 'points'.

Hey Rad, is that a pic from your garage?

I'd prefer a small rocket or grenade launcher. Prolly lighter than the fitty cal, and the explosions would be SO much more satisfying. And hey, they'd be tractor trailer rated! :focus:

OK - I'll bite - tell us about mounting the golf clubs....
I had a couple of compression straps made up by a friend. One goes around the seat in the pillion area and the bottom of the bag, the other goes around the Givi rack (box removed) and through the carry handle of the bag. A travel cover keeps the clubs from being left behind at launch, pictured below. Tested to 120 mph.

FJR_Golf.jpg

TC,

Gotta ask...

1) How do you shift with those spikey golf shoes on?

2) Get some strange looks from the snobby country club valets, no? :p

I read somewhere that someone wished they could haul their surfboard on their motorcycle. I'd love to bring my sewing machine etc. for those times I join friends in Yosemite or Mendocino for quilting retreats. Heck, I'd even settle for a non-backpack way to transport my banjo!
What would you like to bring? Golf clubs? Scuba gear? Kayak? Drum set?

Oh, and I don't mean you get to use a trailer or a trike--just a standard 2-wheeler.
I can't sew but I used to fix sewing machines as a teenager and as summer work in college. If you're a quilting fan, look for an old Singer 220 machine, called a "Featherweight". These things weigh less than 10lbs, have a full-power motor, and, in a soft case, should fit nicely in the Givi or Yamaha trunk. The quilters and collectors have kept the price of these machines, even used, very high. You'll want to get one from the 50's or 60's--there were some upgrades from the ones in the 30's and 40's. Where an old Singer machine might be $30-$75 (even the "portables" weighed in at 30 lbs), expect to pay $250 to $300 for a featherweight. If it has the free-arm (for sleeves and such, the price will double or triple. And, if it has a ripple finish or is turquoise, it will also be very pricey.

In the 70's Singer tried to make another miniature machine called a "Genie". I was not too impressed with them--I was fixing them when they were FAR too new...

What would I like to transport? My butt for 1000 miles a day without feeling like I've gone through a meat grinder!

A travel cover keeps the clubs from being left behind at launch, pictured below. Tested to 120 mph.
Okay....where is the red warning flag that is required at the end of long loads??? :D

OK, I'll bite. What happened at 121 MPH?
That's when I quit looking at gauges and focus on the landscape hurtling toward me.

Okay....where is the red warning flag that is required at the end of long loads?
I haven't been asked yet. I have one of those "Remove Before Flight" ribbons. I guess that would make a cool one.

You could probably get divorced without going that far. Maybe something from the local Harley bar.

I have to agree with Southern FJR and Twowheelnut. Women , lots and lots of beautiful women . :wub: