What is market value for quick sale? 09 11k

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Falko

Reaction score
I've been trying to move my 09 FJR for a year. Then the unthinkable happened, it fell off its stand. I got the insurance claim and will fix most of the plastic and such, but the small scrapes in the exhaust pipe and the hand guards will go unrepaired. The bags were not on the bike at the time. The bike only has 11k miles on it, and runs great. I did make the mistake of allowing a friend re-do the seat, which is actually really comfortable but it is two tone saddle brown and black. I like it but it seems my taste is not well transferred. I will probably find a stock seat for it.

Anyway, what would be a good price to move this thing? It's paid for, but I am not going to give it away either. I want to downsize to a smaller bike since I don't do distance riding and it is usually just me. Anyone buy an 09 recently? What did you pay? PM me if you don't want to help out but not go public.

The bike doesn't have many mods, GIVI screen, hand guards, MV Motorad riser, switched fuse block, heated grips, and tires are about 5k old (023GT).

Thanks.

Depends on your location. Check your local market. Put up and ad. If you've not sold it in a year, put the word out wider and drop the price. Rinse and repeat.

Go to kbb.com and lookup the wholesale and retail prices of your bike. Depending upon mileage, abuse and how aggressive you are to sell, your "moveable" price is going to be somewhere in between... more than likely.

In October 2012, I picked up a used '09 in Michigan with 21k miles and farkles for $8k. Your's is younger, mileage wise, and similar accessories from the sounds of it. It's about finding the right buyer at the right time - the P/O of this bike had it advertised for over 6 months before I saw it. KBB / NADA can provide some guidelines, but it will come down to what the market will bring - assuming your in New England by your location name, so the riding season is just about done up there, demand might be falling now for motorcycles at this point of the year there.

Go to kbb.com and lookup the wholesale and retail prices of your bike. Depending upon mileage, abuse and how aggressive you are to sell, your "moveable" price is going to be somewhere in between... more than likely.
To clarify this point, because there is often a great deal of confusion about "book values": As a private seller, you are not entitled to get full "retail" value for a vehicle. That is the book value for the bike from a dealership, who by law has certain legal standards of suitability and will be required to stand behind the bike for some period of time (varies by state) to some degree.

Wholesale is supposed to be the equivalent of "trade-in" value, which is a valuable data point since that is what you can get for the bike if you will just commit to buying a new one. But, my experience is that no dealerships actually come up to full trade-in or wholesale value unless they are trying very hard to make a deal. If your bike is a popular one that they think they can flip or sell to a used retailer then they may go that high, but usually there are big expenses involved in getting any bike sold, so a used model that is not one of the more popular ones (like, say... an FJR) they tend not to come up to the wholesale book.

Knowing all of that, yes, you should expect to get something between full retail and wholesale values, but much closer to the latter than the former. And don't think that all the farkleishious doo-dads you added will make your bike worth a lot more. In most cases they add nothing, and as in the OPs seat case may actually detract from the value as the new owner may want to replace it.

My advice if you really want to move that thing would be to find out what a local dealership would give you for your bike in its present condition as a trade and then price your bike just a few hindered higher. And don't wait too long or you'll be staring the snow season square in the eyes.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think if you asked for a dollar for it, it'd move really quick. I'm thinking even asking $100 will make it fly out of your garage. lol! just kidding. Please don't be offended.

I have only used blue book values for car values in the past. What I do to extract a value is take the biggest 3 of the blue book folk (Kelley, NADA & Edmunds), find the price in the middle between wholesale & retail for all three... add those values together & then divide by 3. That's how I extract a fair price.

The value of any vehicle is ultimately determimed by the desire of the buyer to purchase in combination of the desire of the seller to sell. It can be completely different just a relatively few miles away. The longer one is willing to wait, the higher the likelyhood one is likely to get what they perceive as the value of said vehicle. Or, they adjust to certain realities of time invested and sell for the best offer. YMMV.

If you have been trying, unsuccessfully, to sell it for a year... and you want to liquidate, downsize & ride something else?

See rule of garage sales, #1: the goal is to empty the garage. Making money is nice, but it only happens when you actually move stuff out of the garage.

Think about it like this - if you are trying to get $9k and someone offers you $8k, you aren't losing $1k, you're getting $8k.

Or not.

Yeah. That! ^ ^ ^

I love how some women (For the record, my wife isn't one) will come back from a shopping spree all excited that they saved $250 on a Gucci handbag? Excuse me? $250 off means the thing cost around 1000 for what?
greedy.gif
A stupid bag to carry your other crapola that you do not really need around?

How about a nice backpack from EMS or REI for $50, eh?

All good points, a vehicle is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it no matter what the "book" value is. Talking hard numbers, consider a advertised price in the mid $7 to $8k to attract interest. Closer to $7k and it'll sell pretty fast.

Good luck!

--G

I'm one of those that "almost gives it away" with vehicles. Last thing I sold was a Kia Mini Van - how's that for a tough sale? I found out what everyone else was asking and put mine up for $1000 less. People love a bargain - within 24 hours it sold. Maybe I could have gotten a little more but I didn't have to screw around, the money was in my pocket and the van was gone.

Here's a search engine that will return nation wide classified ads on Craigslist and others. Classifieds search link. They can be better barometer for realistic price than KBB or Edmunds.

If you truly want to sell it fast you need to make a For Sale ad with Photo's and a good description of the bike. I looked at your ad and it didn't have any photo's. Also I think your price is way to high personally. I bought an 08 with 22k miles and Ohlins Suspension, Sargeant seat with smuggler and a few other goodies for $6500. If you really want to move it I would ask about $7500 and hope for $7k. In the end all that matters is you will sell it for what someone else is willing to pay you for it. If you don't like their offer it will continue to be in your garage. Guess you have to decide how motivated you really are to sell... Good luck.. I bought a brand new off the showroom floor 07 back in late 07 before the new 08 was available and rode it for 6 months. Probably had maybe 3k miles on it. I think I bought it for around 11k and sold it 6 months later for $8k. Don't ever expect to get your investment back off a vehicle. Though I have done many times over if bought right...

thanks, all.

I've advertised it on Craigslist and the local paper here, with good description and pics. I had it listed for 8k throughout this year. I didn't do as well here because I would assume most here know what a raven looks like.

I have no delusions that I will get anywhere near what I paid or anything for the additional goodies. I would just like to move the bike and get something I prefer to ride. If I could get 7k out of it, it would be on its way down the road at this point.

If I could get 7k out of it, it would be on its way down the road at this point.
At that price it'll move quickly. Post up a description and pics in the for sale section and watch it move!
Good luck!

--G

I just picked up an '09 in Jacksonville, Florida two weeks ago but got what I considered a smoking deal. Original owner, near showroom condition, 2097 miles completely stock for $7K. I of course then needed to pay for tax, title, registration once back home.