What Is The Largest Number Of Heat Bars ??

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No comment on this thread. I'm still picking the broken teeth out of my behind from the last thread I got involved in. :blushing:

No comment on this thread. I'm still picking the broken teeth out of my behind from the last thread I got involved in.
LMAO!!
I saw 5 bars one time. It was while I was doing the TB synch in my garage. Had a fan in front of the bike but it wasn't enough. Shut it down and let it cool off after 5 bars came up. Otherwise never more than 4. Get about 40 mpg all the time.

Oh, c'mon JPD! This thread is completely G-Rated! It's all good, brudda! :)

Edit. Man! I'm way off today. I got it. Nevermind.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spine: WTF? You live in Florida, no?

I find that hard to believe. Must be no traffic on the west coast...

Seriously if you ride for a bit then stop and idle you should get to four easily, at which point the fan will come on. If it hasn't, you might test this just to make sure the fan does come on!

-BD

Just filled up again and I got 43mpg on that last tank of gas. The local Yamaha dealer in El Cajon wanted $110 for the first service so I went with it. I'm going to recheck the TBS myself at 2000 miles, and probably change the oil and filter again.

Spine: WTF? You live in Florida, no?
My thoughts exactly. Here in PA, I've been starting the bike lately and seeing it's already at 1 bar. 2 bars for a short time, then straight to 3 where it stays for most of the time. It will easily go to 4 at a stop light, then back to 3 when the fan kicks on.

Granted, most of my riding lately has been in high ambiant temps (think 94 and 75% humidity) and in traffic moving an average of 40 mph. I'm usually surrounded by cars as well.

4 bars and then fan comes on, bathing me in that glorious heat at the best possible time....when I'm stopped at a light. :erm:

almost always 2 bars.., 3 when creeping in town or very hot and under 40mph. 4 w/ fan coming on at traffic lites on hot days, or extended idles.

Just went into Hell's Canyon, 110+ degrees (as well as Rattlesnake Grade and Spiral Hwy., pushing bike 6-9,000rpm). never exceeded 3 bars! (while moving)

Totally stock '03 w/ 22,000 miles. Always a shade over 50 mpg w/ steady cruising 70 mph and under. Aggressive and or 100+ mph stints yields in low 40's. Never seen under that.

My fan comes on at 4 bars. Never seen 5.

Need a hot day and heavy stop and go traffic to get 4 bars.

My experience,

2 bars at hiway speed

3 bars in stop/go traffic around town

4 bars at stop lights on hot days (fan comes on)

5 bars never

Stock shield, Cox radiator guard.

I see two bars in the morning with temperatures below 90. Three bars are common for ambient temperatures above 92. Four bars and fan on at red lights or long iddle times when temperatures are above 105ºF.

If ambient temperature is above 110ºF, then the four bars show up and the fan turns on at any stop longer than 25 seconds.

36_2_60.gif

I see 3 bars all the time. Goes right through 2 unless the temp is less than 75 or so it seems. Also seems to be much worse for some reason when it is humid out. Sitting at any stop light it goes to 4 bars, fan kicks in and brings it back to 3. 3 bars all the time is HOT (unless it's winter -or what we call winter in Florida - than it was nice)

With day time temperatures in the 100 to 107 degree range the bike runs 3 bars in town or on the road. At stop lights it goes to 4 bars and the fan comes on. Thank God it hasn't hit 5 bars because a long day in the saddle already leaves my thighs a bright pink. I'm sure that this is considered some degree of flesh burn.

It has been from 94-104 with high humidity in the two months I have had my FJR. I've never seen 3 bars as long as I am on the hiway. When I am in an area with any stop and go and stay below 45, it is at 3. I have never seen 4, except once in the garage when I left it idling to see what the fan would sound like. It's pretty loud.

I see 4 in stop-and-go traffic or sitting at stoplights for a long time. Fan kicks on for a while... the warm tropical breeze hits me... life goes on. Never seen it hit 5, much less 6...

In the North Texas heat, usually cruise around with 2 or 3 bars and see 4 fairly soon if stopped or very slow traffic. Only had machine two months however.

Fan comes on between sunny side up & overeasy. Once in a while hit 4 bars, but I don't like to ride in traffic so most of my ridin is country roads. It's good if you keep it movin.