what is the quietest helmet for the fjr?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have both the Shoei RF-1000 and the X-11. As stated before the RF is quieter and X-11 is much cooler. The X-11 is also less affected by buffeting IMO. The RF has a little lift to it at speeds and it doesn't let you turn your head very well. Thats not a problem with the X-11. I also wear earplugs so both are quiet to me. I have the stock windshield.

Using the Shoei Multitek helmet. Definately NOT the quietest helmet.

I've learned to just wear earplugs when I ride. It's a PITA, but if you want to keep your hearing, it's probably the most cost effective as well as effective way to silence the wind noise.

today i tried a few helmets and ear plugs. first an aria vector helmet, it fit well but was as noisy as my current helmet(hjc cl max). then i tried a shoei rf1000. that was a very very nice helmet and was the quietest one so far. it also vented/cooled my head better than any helmet i have used. this may be the way i will go. i also tried earplugs that attenuate the noise but still let sound through. they worked really well, i could hear my q2 better with them than without them. i also tried some pro type monitor ear buds, westone um3's.(i had them laying around from my old music gig touring days) they had a roll and fit plug for the ear like a standard foam ear plug. custom molds can be made for them, i will probably get the ear molds made too. the mp3 zumo sound was great with these in my noisy helmet, but couldnt use my q2 for phone use. (darn) .

does anyone know how much dealers will discount shoei helmets? particularly the rf-1000, i would really like to get one of these.

thanks, tbwrench.