What should I ask for my 06 FJR AE

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gurock

Reaction score
I have a 2006 FJR AE with 41,000 miles. It's never been in an accident, but has bee dropped a couple of times at one or two MPH to make a few small scrapes. It's service is up to date has road pilot 3s about 2/3 left. It has Heli risers, back off brake light, LED running lights, power commander III, Russell Daylong, MCL highway pegs and peg lowering kit, new battery and Throtlemeister. I just bought an 08 22,000 miles similarly equipped but with a custom suspension, ogling and GP that the owner discounted to the too good to be true price. I have a friend who's never owned a bike and has learned borrowing my bikes and a friend's bikes that's interested in buying. What would be a fair price? A dealer in Wisconsin offered me $5,000. And I thought that was giving it away. Then I decided to store to spring and advertise it. Now I had this call and he wants to test ride it this week and maybe make me an offer. What would you guys ask for?

It also has frame sliders, a Givi rack and E 55 Givi case. The sliders and Givi case took the most of the 1 MPH falls, but I don't want to sell the Givi case. I want it on the new FJR.

Late August this year I bought an '06 "A" with 10,000 miles - original tires, nice shape, for $5000 - at a Yamaha dealer.

It had spent the better part of the summer at that dealer.

Do you have the stock seat? If so, I would suggest selling the farkles separate and settle on a deal near his offer. (I mean... he is a friend, Right?) If he wants the farkles left on, up the price to

the amount you could get for the farkles he wants left on. You might discount them to him for the PITA that disassembly and shipping will be for you.

BTW- you know how well RDL's sell here, IF it makes no difference to the buyer, put the stocker back on. If you don't have the stocker... trade the RDL for a stocker + cash.

Just a thought.

I didn't explain well, my friend and I haven't got to price. A dealer I was at two weeks ago offered me $5,000.00 for it. My friend wants to ride it Saturday and ask me what I want for it. I told the dealer no to the five. They wanted it as it sits, but the had another on their floor with 38k and less darkens that they were asking $7,200.00 for. Again my friend says he doesn't know what they should go for and wants me to ask for a "fair price".

BTW, it also has a Cee Bailey over sized wind screen. If I sold off the farkels. I could probably get $450. For the RDL and a stock seat, $150.00 for the power Commander, $100.00 for the Cee Bailey, I have the stock screen, $100.00 for the MCL highway pegs. The bike would be hard to sell then. I can afford to wait for spring. My friend can afford to garage too so for either of us season isn't such a big deal.

The $5000 is probably fair trade value from a dealer. Private sale will be around $6000 to almost $6500. Higher prices will have to wait until spring. I would try to keep the Russel Day Long and sell it separately or put it on a new bike. It doesn't add much value to the sale since it was made for you. If possible, get a stock seat off a wreck or someone on the forum, or sell the Russell with a trade + cash deal.

I traded my '06 with bald tires and needing service (50,000 miles) on a new '13 - the dealer gave me actual value of $4800. I would guess yours with good rubber and the farkles should be worth somewhere around $6M - the farkles are probably worth more to you than to the buyer and dealers don't care if you have extras...FWIW

That's about what I thought. The RDL came with the bike when I bought it and was made for a gut a couple inches taller an 50 lbs lighter, but it's still awful good for me. I'd like to trade it for the Sargent on my new bike. The new bike is an 08 with 22,000 that had Sargent, Clearwater Krista lights, MCL risers, Givi mount, Ohlin rear suspension and GP front, Cee Bailey shield, power commander III, Salamander ends, and Pazo lever. I paid $6,200.00 which I thought was a steal and am just getting it home to Chicago from St George, Utah by way of Vegas, San Diego, New Mexico, Pig Trail, Arkansas and such. I brought my heated gear. It now has 25k. If I got near six the trade was great, but I don't want to cheat a friend.

I thought the 08 was a good deal. Keep in mind my buddy has had a summer of riding my bikes for free, while learning, but I still want to give him a good deal, just not a give away. I think over the year that I used the RDL it has adapted a little to me and me to it. The Sargent is a pretty good seat, but the leather covered RDL has spoiled me. I'd like to keep the RDL on the new bike and give the Sargent.

I thought the 08 was a good deal. Keep in mind my buddy has had a summer of riding my bikes for free, while learning, but I still want to give him a good deal, just not a give away. I think over the year that I used the RDL it has adapted a little to me and me to it. The Sargent is a pretty good seat, but the leather covered RDL has spoiled me. I'd like to keep the RDL on the new bike and give the Sargent.

Dealer gave me $6800 for mine on trade(2007 AE) with 23000....and perfect condition.....went to 4 dealers before anyone would trade with me...most dealers say it sits to long before they can move it. They came off $1900 off of sticker on new bike (F6B).

First off, you don't price bikes based on the farkles. They add almost nothing to the value of the bike. So if there are some mods that you did on that bike, that you really liked (like the Russell seat) take them off and reuse them on your new '08

That's about what I thought. The RDL came with the bike when I bought it and was made for a gut a couple inches taller an 50 lbs lighter, but it's still awful good for me. I'd like to trade it for the Sargent on my new bike. The new bike is an 08 with 22,000 that had Sargent, Clearwater Krista lights, MCL risers, Givi mount, Ohlin rear suspension and GP front, Cee Bailey shield, power commander III, Salamander ends, and Pazo lever. I paid $6,200.00 which I thought was a steal and am just getting it home to Chicago from St George, Utah by way of Vegas, San Diego, New Mexico, Pig Trail, Arkansas and such. I brought my heated gear. It now has 25k. If I got near six the trade was great, but I don't want to cheat a friend.
So, to summarize, you paid $6200 for a bike that is two years newer, with many fewer miles and you want to get $6000 from your "friend" for your old '06 AE? In other words you want your neophyte friend to pay for your entire upgrade?

I think I'm glad we aren't friends.

What I paid or I didn't for another bike is irrelevant. If I got ripped, should I rip my friend so e pays for mistake? On the other hand if I got a good deal or even give away, do I have to give a give away? My question was, what is a fair price? The Fred makes it sound I should just list it in Craig's List and see what a stranger will pay.

What's more if Owsley paid $4,500.00 for a similar FJR with the same miles stock, wouldn't he have been better off paying more for one with RDL, Heli Triple, back off brake light, MCL Highway pegs, Givi mount, Power Commander III, grip puppies, and LED driving lights? Especially if he wasn't a mechanic and would need to pay for each installation?

Last edited by a moderator:
What I paid or I didn't for another bike is irrelevant. If I got ripped, should I rip my friend so e pays for mistake? On the other hand if I got a good deal or even give away, do I have to give a give away? My question was, what is a fair price? The Fred makes it sound I should just list it in Craig's List and see what a stranger will pay.
You know what the bike is worth as a trade-in to a dealer already ($5k). And you can look up what the full retail price would be at a dealership. A reasonable price for a private sale to a complete stranger would be roughly half way between the trade-in value and the full retail. That would be your Craig's List price. You can ask a little more for it to give you room for the traditional price negotiation, but that will also mean that you'll get much less interest and it may sit for a while until the "right buyer" comes along.

But if this guy was really my friend, I would either sell it to him at the trade-in value or else not sell it to him at all (I'd be leaning towards the latter). It is seldom a good idea to try to make good business deals with good friends. One or the other will usually suffer, either the deal or the friendship.

YMMV

By the book, a '06 AE is worth:

kbb trade $5,100 retail $7,390

nada trade $5,390 retail $7,095

What is it actually worth? Given enough time and effort you can get the trade value or possibly more. To sell it within a week you probably won't get more than $2,000. If he is any kind of a friend, he will offer you better than $8,000.

The AE has always been a hard sell and historically has been finally sold well under the normal asking price and has never been the price equal of a non AE. The AE is a good motorcycle but it has to have that one special person that specifically wants the auto clutch to be worth what it is valued at.