What to do with a high mileage 2003 FJR ?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'll give you $50 for it.........
Ok, I'll bite....I'll give you a hundred bucks for her.....
Oo, looks like you've got yourself an auction :smile3: .
All you have to do is wait while they rack up their offers :sleepsmiley02: .

Mind you, the cheapskates around here won't go up very far :( .

It should still have plenty of liffe, and it sounds like you've gotten your money's worth...so find someone looking for a great deal, make them an incredible offer...and move on to the new bike.
Remove the farkles. Sell them at pennies on the $ instead of getting zero from them when selling the bike (or move them to the new bike).

Some who wants an FJR but can't afford one will be very happy.

Maybe time for a warrior's funeral......

image.jpg

IIRC you had a pretty high mileage Concours back then - what'd you do with that?
Good memory. I sold it with about 175,000 Km's on it. An out of town buyer took it sight unseen. It was also very well cared for and in great condition.

Last edited by a moderator:
It should still have plenty of liffe, and it sounds like you've gotten your money's worth...so find someone looking for a great deal, make them an incredible offer...and move on to the new bike.
Remove the farkles. Sell them at pennies on the $ instead of getting zero from them when selling the bike (or move them to the new bike).

Some who wants an FJR but can't afford one will be very happy.

About the only thing worth removing might be the Superbrace. It won't fit the ES models but I could get a few sheckles for it.

If I had enough garage space, I would likely still have mine.

Just a thought - if you have the room, hang onto it and selectively rent it out. There is an FJR rally out your way this summer.

There may be some interest from folks here on the forum.

If you are anything like me, I HATE parting with my bikes.

Canadian FJR

If I had enough garage space, I would likely still have mine.Just a thought - if you have the room, hang onto it and selectively rent it out. There is an FJR rally out your way this summer.

There may be some interest from folks here on the forum.

Canadian FJR
If my donee doesn't take me up on the gift, I may just make some garage space, put on a cover, and hang on to it. Maybe get a day permit once a year to keep the seals wet and sticky parts moving. I don't think I'd rent it out as it would be on my insurance and any incident could affect the rates on my other bikes and car.

David - another point of reference. I sold my 03 with 153000 miles on it for $2200 in May 2016.

When I PCS'd from Hawaii back to the mainland I had a 1977 KZ1000 that had some issues so I just signed it over and gave it to a young guy at work. He got a free bike and I felt good about it.

A few years back, I had an old Toyota Corolla and a co-worker with a bunch of kids was looking for a car for his oldest boy. I sold him the Toyota for $5.00.

Find a worthy person and "gift" it to them.

I feel your pain. Hence why I have four FJRs currently in the stable. And that after I sold two others a few months ago! I have issues.
Greg,

I hate to tell you bud but, you had issues before you sold the bikes,
tonguesmiley.gif

JSNS,

Dave

There was a thread on ADV of some guys that bought $1000 bikes, in Michigan I think, and then rode them to Cabo down in Baja. They then donated them to an orphanage , the orphanage sold the bikes and raised themselves some cash. The riders all flew home. I think eight riders started and 7 finished the trip.

I thought it was a great idea, maybe you could do a trip and donate at the same time ?

There was a thread on ADV of some guys that bought $1000 bikes, in Michigan I think, and then rode them to Cabo down in Baja. They then donated them to an orphanage , the orphanage sold the bikes and raised themselves some cash. The riders all flew home. I think eight riders started and 7 finished the trip. I thought it was a great idea, maybe you could do a trip and donate at the same time ?
Not until I find out what happened to the eighth rider.

There was a thread on ADV of some guys that bought $1000 bikes, in Michigan I think, and then rode them to Cabo down in Baja. They then donated them to an orphanage , the orphanage sold the bikes and raised themselves some cash. The riders all flew home. I think eight riders started and 7 finished the trip. I thought it was a great idea, maybe you could do a trip and donate at the same time ?
Not until I find out what happened to the eighth rider.
I think he was riding a harley jsns

OK, my bid is a hundred and ONE!

Seriously, nothing to add to what's already been said. We here know the thing is probably good for at least another 100K miles, so if somebody wants a fast bike that costs them a penny or two per mile to buy, good for them. But most folks not familiar with the FJR will look at that mileage and tell you that you couldn't pay them to ride it. If you can get a grand or two, take it. If you've got a cousin/friend/neighbor/secret girlfriend/grandkid/whatever that's already riding but wants more, let them have it, and tell them it's just to see what they think. They might come up with an offer!

OK, my bid is a hundred and ONE!
Seriously, nothing to add to what's already been said. We here know the thing is probably good for at least another 100K miles, so if somebody wants a fast bike that costs them a penny or two per mile to buy, good for them. But most folks not familiar with the FJR will look at that mileage and tell you that you couldn't pay them to ride it. If you can get a grand or two, take it. If you've got a cousin/friend/neighbor/secret girlfriend/grandkid/whatever that's already riding but wants more, let them have it, and tell them it's just to see what they think. They might come up with an offer!
If it's ok with you, I think I'll go with the secret girlfriend.