What to do with our "riding gear" while we are in the museum?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Helmet Guardians mounted under the topbox for my helmet. Honda uses this method on the Wings and I've always found it convenient, so I adopted it for the feej and the GSX1100G.
IMG_0003.JPG

Riding suit and gloves either go in the topbox or I carry them with me.
Yep, I'm going to mount two helmet locks on my bike somewhere. Thanks!

I like the "coat check" option. Helmet and tank bag, if I have one with me that day, go in the saddlebags, but the jacket and pants are a different story.

I bought a nice bicycle chain, has a fabric cover and rubberized ends. When I go into a store the lock goes through the helmet, then through the sleeve of my jacket and around the luggage rack mount. And it will also double for an actual bike lock should that become necessary.

For me this has to do with piece of mind... So the extra weight and bulk of a good Kryptonite chain lock is worth it to me. I mean I have had things go walkabout before and the last thing I want is to be in a strange town somewhere and wonder where I am going to find a helmet or a jacket. This stuff is just too expensive to leave it up to chance anymore... sad, but true.

This is the cable I use. They're made by a member of our ZRX forum. Cables and clamps are plastic covered, so with careful placement of the padlock they're pretty unlikely to scratch the bike. They're fairly light duty and flexible enough to roll up in a jacket pocket without kinking. I just stick it in the side pocket of the pannier liners. If I have the Givi I just lay it on top of whatever's packed in it. It takes almost no room. I run a 5' cable through the face of a full face helmet and up the sleeve of a jacket.

They're not as heavy duty as some, but it'd still take a while to hack through one with a wire cutter. I think most of the people who'd steal gear would be looking for targets of opportunity, so I just want to make it difficult enough to encourage them to move on to a quicker target.

caddys010.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Townsend's lock bracket (w/ lock sold separately) is perfect for locking helmet(s) to the bike, IMO. Here is where they can be found, starting with Gen III discussion https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php/topic/2399-helmet-lock-brackets/page-9
I usually just drape my jacket over the dash/tank, and have had no issues. A small cable lock will work though, to keep honest people away.
Thanks for the plug ^^^!!!

Helmet lock on each side for both helmets, then a cable thru one arm of your jacket also locked to the helmet lock.

ES model, left side:

Right side:

If you want ONE key for the locks (to match your ignition), purchase Yamaha part # 4R8-21308-01-00 . The off set is the same

as the FJR and can be re-keyed to match. (note, the previous part # used for 7 years does not work now as Yamaha changed it)

Last edited by a moderator: