What's in your airbox?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd stay away from those small pellets that are supposed to kill mice. Eventually they do, however the mice will build up a stash where you don't want them. Get the larger baits that come in blocks/cubes. They will nibble on the bait but it is too big to take it anywhere. And yes, moth balls are the hot ticket. Just buy a few of boxes and poke holes in the box. They'll last a few years. Cheap insurance.

We are lucky to have easily accessible airboxes.... opened up my Goldwing once, which is quite a job to get to the air filter.... full of sunflower seeds. Luckily I have not had chewed wiring....

I'd stay away from those small pellets that are supposed to kill mice. Eventually they do, however the mice will build up a stash where you don't want them. Get the larger baits that come in blocks/cubes. They will nibble on the bait but it is too big to take it anywhere. And yes, moth balls are the hot ticket. Just buy a few of boxes and poke holes in the box. They'll last a few years. Cheap insurance.
Roger that! I've gone to the blocks for my well house, garage, camper, tractor and underhood of my truck. :assassin: Nothing pisses me off more than being in a hurry to start my tractor and finding the flywheel/housing filled with debris otherwise known as "mouse house" and having to go get tools to remove parts so I can get all the crud out before starting! Now they nibble on the "food" I left for them and then for some reason they never manage to complete their home in my flywheel! :yahoo:

My problem: the bike had set up for over a year in Mississippi--baby acorns....

100_3287-1.jpg

My solution to prevent it happening again: rain gutter guard mesh

100_3294.jpg

I had also had problems with previous bikes using the little bites pellets. Bar baits seem to work better, along with Claymore mines (AKA spring traps.)

100_3295.jpg

Not sure if it's a mouse? I might be off but I don't think so: What do you think all those little long dark things are?
Nyjer seed.

Edit: After reading na1g's post -- hover your pointer arrow over the text with the dotted underline and it will pop open a text box with additional information.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nyger (AKA "thistle") is the stuff that looks like caraway seed and is the finches' favorite. Some other seed-eaters like the white millet, the light cream-colored seed. The mouse would be a lot happier if you also put out sunflower seed (either black-oil or gray-stripe) for the cardinals, chickadees and nuthatches. The nyger usually comes from Ethipia or India. The sunflower comes from the USA. The FJR prefers 89 octane from anywhere.

pete :cold:

That mesh screen is nice, but I would address the problem with the mice outside of the bike. That nice little apartment that the inside of the filter affords keeps the little buggers away from the wiring and other more important stuff. I put a new filter in mine last year and found seed remenants and a good deal of the foam chewed. I use the bait in garage. I have a 17 year old cat that could give two shits about chasing mice.

The screen is my last line of defense. They have to get past the mouse baits and peanut buttered spring traps first.

FWIW, along with the acorns in the filter, I found 3 of the wires in the tail section had damage, which I repaired.

Best to kill 'em before they can set a little foot on the FJR, for sure.