What's in your tool kit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob Hughes

Reaction score
I am carrying the stock tool kit plus a 1/4" drive ratchet with 8, 10,12 and 14mm sockets as well as a couple of hex keys that I felt were left out so I now have 3, 4, 5 and 6mm's. I also carry duck tape and a box cutter.

What are you carrying?

A 9 mm pistol!...

- I think Duc tape is a good idea, otherwise known in military circles as 100 mph tape. There's a lot you can do with it in a pinch.

- The FJR assistance list is always good to have.

- A 50 amp main fuse that some else mentioned is another good spare part to carry.

Herkypiilot

A 9 mm pistol!...
- I think Duc tape is a good idea, otherwise known in military circles as 100 mph tape. There's a lot you can do with it in a pinch.

- The FJR assistance list is always good to have.

- A 50 amp main fuse that some else mentioned is another good spare part to carry.

Herkypiilot
Being of the "Bigger Hammer" school, I keep the .45 at hand.

Seriously though, I just added on to my tool kit, in preparation for the ride out to CFO in a few weeks. 2 crescent wrenches, a large and a small. A really cool ratchet set I found that goes from 3 to 16 mm, and has an adaptor for hex, torqx, Phillips, and regular drives, which came with it. A pair of pliers. A few extra Allen keys. And last is a Gerber Wave multi tool. Just barely still fit under the seat.

Just barely still fit under the seat.
Trigger - problem solved - get yourself one of them thar fancy fringed tool pouches (with concho) and strap it to yer front forks.... :blink:

Last edited by a moderator:
1. Stock POS tool kit

2. Cruz Tools Outback'r Tool Set

3. Leatherman Wave tool

4. Small air compressor

5. Tire Puncture repair kit w/ 'goopy strings' type plugs

6. Bottle of Slime type tire sealant

7. Small waterproof LED flashlight

(Guess I have some sort of flat tire phobia. Seems to keep any incidents from happening!)

Forgot to mention...

8. AAA card w/ Motorcycle roadside coverage

9. Cell Phone

10. Shop Rag

1/2" breaker bar, 12, 19 and 27mm sockets, 19mm allen key(front axle). All in case wheel removal is necessary. Also small compressor, tire plug kit, elec tape, 100mph tape, two flashlights, powerlet to cigar lighter adapter, spare headlight and tail light bulbs, tow rope, Leatherman, cable lock, and a buch more stuff I'd be too embarrassed to reveal. No 50 amp fuse though. That's an oversight I hope I can remember to correct soon.

What are you carrying?
Everything but this...

kitchensink.jpg

Seriously:

1. Stock tool kit (except I put in some good scew drivers)

2. Leatherman

3. Small set of hex and allen wrenches / sockets

4. Small air compressor

5. Tire Puncture repair kit

6. 3M electrical tape

7. Small waterproof LED flashlight with spare battery

8. Assorted fuses and puller

9. Small role of 14gauge wire

10. Small adjustable wrench

A big ass can of compressed air, tire plugs, wrenches for an oil change and a large can of tire sealant as a last resort.

Anything beyond that and out comes a cell phone and the roadside service card.

Ok so we are adding up to something like this:

1. Stock tool kit (except I put in some good scew drivers and pliers)

2. Leatherman/wave type tool

3. set of metric hex wrenches including 19mm allen key(front axle)

4. Small air compressor

6. 3M electrical tape

8. Assorted fuses including 50amp and puller

10. set of 1/2" sockets including 12, 19 and 27mm sockets

11. a large can of tire sealant

12. 100mph tape

13. spare headlight and tail light bulbs

14. tow rope

15. 2 crescent wrenches

I leave the .45 at home (my bike alone can't possibly carry the number of rounds I would need.) :skull:

Seriously though, this has got to be the "everything but the kitchen sink" list: Clicky

(BTW - I got the above link from '06-'07 Bin-O-FAQs on our forum.)

Something else I carry I didn't see mentioned already is 5 or 6 feet of baling (safety) wire.

Just my $.02 worth.

Ok so we are adding up to something like this:
1. Stock tool kit (except I put in some good scew drivers and pliers)

2. Leatherman/wave type tool

3. set of metric hex wrenches including 19mm allen key(front axle)

4. Small air compressor

6. 3M electrical tape

8. Assorted fuses including 50amp and puller

10. set of 1/2" sockets including 12, 19 and 27mm sockets

11. a large can of tire sealant

12. 100mph tape

13. spare headlight and tail light bulbs

14. tow rope

15. 2 crescent wrenches
I'd say that would be a good kit to have and would serve about any roadside emergency.

(Except mine always call for something that I was gonna put in, but didn't!)

I got into the habit of using my on-bike toolkit whenever I work on the bike. That helps you figure out in a hurry which tools you really use, and keeps you from hauling around tools for jobs that you don't know how to do yet anyway.

A few things I haul that aren't on that list:

- a small multimeter to check for bad electrical connections

- a gas siphon tube (which I only carry on rallies)

- extra flashlight(s)

- some kind of flasher to set on the road if you're stopped for a bit. The 4-way flashers will eat your battery in a hurry.

- one of those telescoping magnets -- the kind that looks like an old car antenna with a small magnet on the end -- so you can get the little part that will fall down into the fairing somewhere, because you just know that bastard is going to do that -- it wants to and it will.

- something to clean the windshield. Lemon Pledge wipes and a small terry towel work great, and can clean up the rest of the bike too.

And make sure one of the screwdrivers is a stubby phillips or you'll never get to the fuses.

Other than a cell phone and credit card, the most important thing is a good tire plug kit and some way to fill the tire. On the plug kits: I once picked up a fence staple or something similar in the middle of the eastern Oregon desert. No way to call for help. Because there were two holes right next to each other, the plugs wouldn't hold. My tire went down 6 times that day. BUT -- since I was riding with someone else and a few more riders passed by, I had a chance to try every type of plug -- bullet plugs, mushroom plugs, string plugs, tire sealant goop. The verdict: get the string plugs. The cheap-o string plugs from Wal-Mart were by far the best. Get the t-shaped handles instead of the straight ones.

The tire sealant goop was useless on the holes and it also leaves a bunch of crap on the rim. Get a good plug kit instead and save the space.

What about that spark plug socket that's in the factory tool kit? Does it work for the rear axle? I looked at it yesterday and it seems kinda flimsy for that use. I only have 250 miles on the bike, so I haven't had to wrench on it yet other than adjusting the rear brake pedal lower.