What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^

From what i know, that is the correct story about the brass monkeys.

As far as weather, yesterday here in southern Minnesota, the high was 0 degrees F, with a 20 to 25 mph wind. The kind of day where you would know within a half of a millisecond whether or not you remembered to zip up your fly. It was much cooler north of us. Hard to keep the beer warm enough to drink.

As far as the original post, I've been to Florida a few times. Lovely winter weather, and it's nice that you enjoy it. Riding a motorcycle there? Great, if that's what you like. Yup, I have to store mine for 5 or 6 months. That sucks. But the memory of a summer spent riding the roads within fifteen minutes of my driveway will keep me warm and smiling until spring. I like it that when my tires are worn out, they are as equally shagged to within an eighth of an inch from the edge as they are in the middle.

For any squids trolling here, there are NO good roads anywhere east of Deals Gap or north of Little Rock. It's cold and boring here, and the beer freezes in the winter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cold enough to freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey! If you don't know where this saying comes from, I think I know! Back in the days of sailing war ships with cannons etc. the cannon balls were stored on deck on a Brass plate with indents that held the cannon balls in place till required! When sailing in the colder climes the Brass plates would shrink due to the cold and cause the cannon balls to "fall", off the Brass Monkey as it was called! Thus it was cold enough to Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey. And that's the truth, I think!
Nope. Just an oft repeated urban legend Ref 1 Ref 2 The difference in contraction between brass and iron is not all that much. Certainly not enough to pop a ball out of a fictitious brass plate. It's a fun story though...

Forecast for this weekend is for some excellent riding weather:

Forecast.jpg

Riding snowboards or snowmobiles that is...

The rest of the week is brutal too!
smile.png
Interesting that you'd post THAT picture. Of all the people who read this thing, I'm the only one who can say... you see the bright green area just to the left of the word, "Forecast" --- at the upper left corner of your picture? It says, "Spring Hill." That's where I live. See just below it where it says, "New Port Richey?" That's where I teach at the Gulf Middle School.

Small world.

Gary

darksider #44

Cold enough to freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey! If you don't know where this saying comes from, I think I know! Back in the days of sailing war ships with cannons etc. the cannon balls were stored on deck on a Brass plate with indents that held the cannon balls in place till required! When sailing in the colder climes the Brass plates would shrink due to the cold and cause the cannon balls to "fall", off the Brass Monkey as it was called! Thus it was cold enough to Freeze the Balls off a Brass Monkey. And that's the truth, I think!
Charlie Farquharson took that a step further and simplified it...... 'cold enough to freeze the knots off a blue spruce'. If you can dig up a copy of his book, or even the album "Histry of Canada' (It's on vinyl, and I have one packed away somewhere). I'm sure Bungie can relate.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Harron

The rest of the week is brutal too!
smile.png
Interesting that you'd post THAT picture. Of all the people who read this thing, I'm the only one who can say... you see the bright green area just to the left of the word, "Forecast" --- at the upper left corner of your picture? It says, "Spring Hill." That's where I live.

Small world.

Gary

darksider #44
I suppose that weather report makes it unlikely that you will have a white Christmas. Fred W and I on the other hand will almost certainly have a festive, frosty white holiday. BTW, when I was living in Puerto Rico it was hard to feel festive at 85º & 70% humidity.

I think it's around 15 here at the moment. And snowing. Added about 4 more inches to the 18 or so we already have.

Might take the snow thrower for a spin later this afternoon.
cold.gif

Friggin 18 F (feels like 1) and 14 tomorrow with snow fcst this weekend. AND the first day of winter is still officially 9 days away...............I've got both bikes sitting on the trailer ready to bolt south when I can't take it any more!

Well ya I can. Years of living sub-polar isolation have given me the ability to stalk prey and not scare them away with my balls clacking together. Their sucked so far up into my abdominal cavity my GF calls me Ken.

Tomorrow morning I get to jump in the car and drive to Hamilton (hey, come to think of it, I'll be over at my sisters on Sat. Just across the street from you) and it's supposed to be a -34C

Guess that means I'll be dodging girl guides selling cookies door to door.

I'm sure Bungie can relate.

Remember guys (and gals), the (stupid calendar) seasons are based on celestial events. The beginning of winter (and end of autumn) is actually (near) the shortest day of the year, so after that the days are getting progressively longer and spring is on the way. Your mood will improve and your desire to annihilate all of the people around you will lessen (slightly) every day.

It's all good.
wink.png

(edit - Anyone interested in trekking to Calendar II for the solstice? It will be Saturday Dec 21st this year. I imagine we would find some unique individuals there on that day. Not likely to be able to ride there, unfortunately)

Snowmobile is now the toy to ride up here in northern Minnesota. Depending where you go along the northshore of Lake Superior the recent snowstorm brought us 24 to 40 inches of snow. The temperature dropped with highs subzero since last Friday. Evening temps at my place were running at -30f to -25f all week long. Needless to say the bikes are resting in the barn for a few months while the ski doo gets a workout. Savor the seasons and take advantage of what's available. I like snow.

The rest of the week is brutal too! :)
Interesting that you'd post THAT picture. Of all the people who read this thing, I'm the only one who can say... you see the bright green area just to the left of the word, "Forecast" --- at the upper left corner of your picture? It says, "Spring Hill." That's where I live.

Small world.

Gary

darksider #44
I suppose that weather report makes it unlikely that you will have a white Christmas. Fred W and I on the other hand will almost certainly have a festive, frosty white holiday. BTW, when I was living in Puerto Rico it was hard to feel festive at 85º & 70% humidity.
Funny that you would mention that.

Ion, You'd be surprised how fast and easy it is to get festive during the holidays in flip flops and tee shirts in FL and PR.
dirol.gif
agent.gif
matrix.gif
beach.gif