What's the Weather like where YOU are today?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Praise the Lord, it's going to be 90F in Phoenix Saturday; I can finally take off my ugly Christmas sweater now, living in Arizona it's the only sweater that I own!
DSC05844.jpg
That's dead sexy, that is.

Most of us don't have it too bad, even if it's been a long, cold winter. Let me expand on that.........

I have a neighbor across the street that had knee surgery nine days ago. (On that same day, she found out her father has less than six months to live). She has a small house, with one tuck-under garage stall. Since her knee surgery, she's been staying at a friend's house, since she's on crutches. My wife and I have keys to her house, and have been feeding her cat and taking in her mail. About 2 or 3 days ago, she lost water to her house. The indoor pipes all felt and looked fine, so my assumption is that the supply line from the street was frozen somewhere between the street and her house. Here in southern Minnesota, any fluid lines are typically buried at 48 inches. This winter, the frost line here is now at 60 inches, and in northern Minnesota, I've heard it's now at 80 inches. Last night, normal water flow had returned, and all faucets worked fine. Good.

I get to work by 4:30AM CST. At about 6:30 this morning, I got a call from a different neighbor. She said that water is flowing down my neighbor's driveway, and she knew I had keys to that house. I made a quick trip home to get the keys, and went over. Upstairs was fine. Went to the (finished) basement, and was met at the bottom of the stairs by two and a half to three inches of water. I took a quick scan for burst pipes, but didn't see any. The main shutoff is located behind a little cubby, so I moved a bookshelf and opened the little door. I saw the main shutoff knob, and shut the supply off. I didn't have a flashlight with me, and the lighting wasn't too good, but it appears to me that either the main line right next to the shutoff or the adjacent meter is the culprit. The problem right now is that I can't open the garage door to let the water out, since it's cold enough that everything would freeze. What a facking mess.

So, my single girl neighbor, nine days removed from knee surgery and on crutches, has a flooded basement in the middle of winter. I feel really bad for her, but I guess her first two phone calls this morning should be to a plumber and her insurance adjuster. Yuck.

I guess I can stand the cold right now, knowing I have water that can come in and leave without assistance. Somebody always has it worse than me. Phew.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the kind words, but all I did was shut the water off and give her a call. She's the one that has the shitty part to do now.

Now, let's get this discourse back on topic...........................This winter sucks infected wombat ass!!!!!

Thanks for the kind words, but all I did was shut the water off and give her a call. She's the one that has the shitty part to do now.

Now, let's get this discourse back on topic...........................This winter sucks infected wombat ass!!!!!
https://weather.aol.com/forecast/7-day/us/id/85225 SR, does this make you feel better! We had to put Gramps on the plane, to take his shitty weather back to Minnesota!

DSCF0855.jpg

This is my front porch. As you can see, it is snowing. We expect another 12 inches or so today. It is nice and warm inside.

Feb13_zpsd9e90e27.jpg
Well, it doesn't look like you'll be riding the bike anytime soon...but what the hell, at least you've got that snowmobile

...but what the hell, at least you've got that snowmobile
MAN.........................................................................................................................................................................................................BEER STORE

You need some way to connect the dots.

Right now2, not envying anybody along the eastern states and provinces no matter where you are......... hope you don't get too much ice and white stuff.

Ignore Beemerdons, we'll talk to him in June when it's too stinkin' hot...........

Right now2, not envying anybody along the eastern states and provinces no matter where you are......... hope you don't get too much ice and white stuff.
Ignore Beemerdons, we'll talk to him in June when it's too stinkin' hot...........
14" here and some drifting, just finished shoveling out. Thought I was going to need a metal detector to find my little Mazda.

60 here and heading to 65.

Trimmed 3' off the boxwoods out front.

Opened up The Shop to let the out gassing of the floor treatment to air out more.

On the patio with a cigar, coffee, and an audiobook. Only a few high wispy clouds to the far north. Sunny and nice.

37 degrees, I think it is about the first time in 2 months it has been above freezing, most days lately haven't been getting above zero. I went and walked around outside in short sleeves and it felt like it was 80.

Ended up getting 8" of snow topped with 1/2" of ice overnight. Still falling lightly as of 4pm today. Hopefully it'll be moving out soon.

DSCN4058_zps65461bdb.jpg

DSCN4059_zpsc2668723.jpg

Got a flight home after the SC Snowcastrophe...

...but the return back was painful.

I got to sit between a petite asian lady who couldn't keep from wretching, and a 20/30something that must have had a few cases of beer recently as he was nasty beerfarting ALL THE DAMN WAY HOME.

He didn't even offer an apologetic look. I was hardly even over the Smokies and he had already started in...