What's with this forum? Please paint me a picture

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjsC6

Reaction score
I posted a thread this moring about what oil to use. I even tried the "search" function. Oil has three letters. The search function requires four.

My thread got moved with no indication to me of where it got moved. After much searching, I discovered there is a section for threads that the moderators/owners have deemed to deserve some kind of second class status on the forum, apparently because they are topics that get asked by a lot of new members. Gee, shouldn't that be an indication that they are subjects that are important to people, and that they should be treated with the respect of being put in a section that a new member might logically look in?

I'm sorry, but this forum is not big enough that it requires the comlexity of all of the sections (one for technical, one for technical/mechanical problems - what's that about?

I fear that this thread will not be well received by the moderators, for which I apologize. But isn't that the main purpose of a forum - to exchange ideas. Perhaps the moderators could let this thread run a few days and see what the customers think is the proper way to handle such threads as my oil thread.

I posted a thread this moring about what oil to use. I even tried the "search" function. Oil has three letters. The search function requires four.
My thread got moved with no indication to me of where it got moved. After much searching, I discovered there is a section for threads that the moderators/owners have deemed to deserve some kind of second class status on the forum, apparently because they are topics that get asked by a lot of new members. Gee, shouldn't that be an indication that they are subjects that are important to people, and that they should be treated with the respect of being put in a section that a new member might logically look in?

I'm sorry, but this forum is not big enough that it requires the comlexity of all of the sections (one for technical, one for technical/mechanical problems - what's that about?

I fear that this thread will not be well received by the moderators, for which I apologize. But isn't that the main purpose of a forum - to exchange ideas. Perhaps the moderators could let this thread run a few days and see what the customers think is the proper way to handle such threads as my oil thread.
uh-oh

Damn, you got this place nailed............... :eek:

Working
PBNlady.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
- I didn't bother to check, but I'm confident that your thread got moved to the section "Never Ending Pointless Recurring Threads', which, under the title, shows a description of : Oil, tires, octane and other questions that never seem to get resolved' (paraphrasing here). That title itself is a bit of dry humor..it's not that these topics are considered 'unimportant' it's just that such discussions have been known to go on for literally dozens of pages with no clear answer--everybody has their own opinion about what works for them/makes them happy. Thus, the mods (my opinion here) created the 'NEPRT' section to 'clean-up' other areas while allowing those interested in those topics to read 'ad-nauseam' (LOL) about same. More efficient, as it were. As far as the search function not working with less than 4 letters, I couldn't say---never tried it with only 3 letters. I'm sure you question will by answered.

Perhaps a clue to this mystery resides in the description of the thread that your oil posting got moved to.

Oil, tires, octane, and other items that endlessly get discussed and rarely resolved.

This wasn't an arbitrary decision by admins. This was a long-standing discussion that many on the board were involved before you joined in January.

That's a fair opinion. I disagree. I think you'll find many others disagree.

But isn't that the main purpose of a forum - to exchange ideas. Perhaps the moderators could let this thread run a few days and see what the customers think is the proper way to handle such threads as my oil thread.
Absolutely, it is to exchange ideas! But I think your second sentence asking to leave the thread in FJR Specific Discussion totally reinforces why there's a need for categorization. Some people post non-FJR threads in the very popular FJR Specific Discussion hoping they'll be seen more.

Besides the forum being about discussion, it's about conveniently finding that information. You may not believe it, but a big part of this forum's success comes from regular attention of categorization.

My thread got moved with no indication to me of where it got moved.
That's a discretionary thing by Admins. I didn't move it by the way. Another admin did. My general rule is that I'll leave a "Moved" pointer if the discussion has had a few responses and not leave one if it's been freshly posted. We'll talk this one over as admins.

Perhaps the moderators could let this thread run a few days and see what the customers think is the proper way to handle such threads as my oil thread.
If the thread were about FJR Specific discussion we would. It's not though and already been moved. People will still see it as many, many folks use the "View New Posts" feature. I already see a bunch of folks responding. Not sure about your use of "customers" though. We all look forward to the variety of opinions from board "members" or "guests".

Don't take the relocation of the thread personally...in fact, unless otherwise noted by means of a personal attack you are well served to not take anything here personally. The nature of the beast is this...threads like oil, tires, your personal top speed, your favorite brand of gasoline, etc are rehashed so often (Recurring) that they become mile long threads (Never-ending) that ultimately solve nothing. No matter what kind of oil I suggest there will be others who swear it'll ruin my engine. So what's the point? Thus the "Pointless" part.

As for people (including you) not finding your thread(s)...

I've found that I rarely even navigate directly into a particular area of the forum. Instead, you might consider using the "View New Posts" link. This is simple way to see what's been posted since your last visit.

Once you get used to using the "View New Posts" feature you'll care even less about where those threads are located.

Good luck, and enjoy.

There. I was nice. ;)

Some good points. However, if there were no management, this would be total chaos and no one would ever find anything valuable. As for us being customers-no. We get to hang out here for free. It's someone else's house, with an open invitation. It's all good. And I can add from personal experience, the admins take serious our thoughts and comments and DO take these things into consideration. Sometimes things change, sometimes not. From personal experience, if the issue seriously warrants a new way to do business, they will accommodate. Very good and reasonable people. And you can disagree with them without fear of reprisal, unlike some other boards. So, while some ways of doing 'business' may take a little getting used to, I think and hope that you will find in the long run, it all works for the best. And let us not forget, there's more than 2500 members now. Chaos would be easy.

In the mean time try searching using "synthetic" or "ticker" and there are a number of pertinent threads to read thru that cover most of what is known or expressed todate.

And defintitely use the well hidden "view new posts" feature and you won't care where the information is hidden.

Or as mentioned previously READ jestals posts on Oil.

Click onto his profile, under options, VIEW USER POSTS.

Probably the best source of Oil info We have.

( Thanks jestal)

Don't take the relocation of the thread personally...in fact, unless otherwise noted by means of a personal attack you are well served to not take anything here personally. The nature of the beast is this...threads like oil, tires, your personal top speed, your favorite brand of gasoline, etc are rehashed so often (Recurring) that they become mile long threads (Never-ending) that ultimately solve nothing. No matter what kind of oil I suggest there will be others who swear it'll ruin my engine. So what's the point? Thus the "Pointless" part.
As for people (including you) not finding your thread(s)...

I've found that I rarely even navigate directly into a particular area of the forum. Instead, you might consider using the "View New Posts" link. This is simple way to see what's been posted since your last visit.

Once you get used to using the "View New Posts" feature you'll care even less about where those threads are located.

Good luck, and enjoy.

There. I was nice. ;)
I tried the "view new posts" idea on another forum. I found that there were so many new posts on topics that meant nothing to me, that it took to long to wade through them, and usually on more than one page of posts. I'll try it on this forum - maybe because we have fewer members it will work better. Thanks for the advice.

well - if you only visit once in a blue moon - you will probably see a ton of pages to sort through, too. If you check once a day or so -you should probably never have more than 3 pages to review unless of course there are other pointless and never ending posts all over the place.

Now -

I can't wait to go view your oil question. I'm busy formulating an answer already (yes.... even without having read the question) -

I have an appropriate Pointless and never ending question for everything.

I found that there were so many new posts on topics that meant nothing to me, that it took to long to wade through them, and usually on more than one page of posts.
:blink: :blink:

Isn't that what you are complaining about? The posts already being organized by topic so you DON'T have to wade through them... ;) :rolleyes:

And so you gave up?

First of all, I have tried a "search". Unfortunately "oil" only has three letters, and I don't feel like guessing at what other keywords to use.
Oh, I see now. You DID just give up. Maybe rather than searching for oil, you should have read the technical archives on the ticking problem instead. Seems to me this is what you REALLY want to know about. Had you done that, you would have read that oil choice seems to have no correlation with ticking, and would have realized you didn't even need to ask the question to begin with.

My thread got moved with no indication to me of where it got moved. After much searching, I discovered there is a section for threads that the moderators/owners have deemed to deserve some kind of second class status on the forum, apparently because they are topics that get asked by a lot of new members.
Much Searching?!? You've got to be kidding me, it's right there on the main freaking page! Obviously we see how hard you search for things already. Take 1 minute and go to the main page of the forum, and read the list of catagories. This will save us both a repeat of this conversation next week.

Gee, shouldn't that be an indication that they are subjects that are important to people, and that they should be treated with the respect of being put in a section that a new member might logically look in?
You mean like the New Users FAQ and Commin Info section? Who ever thought THAT might be a good idea?!?

You forgot to mention that was your opinion, not fact. Most members prefer the sections, and it makes find things easier for people who actually take a minute to look around.

I fear that this thread will not be well received by the moderators, for which I apologize.
Some more than others. No need to apologize for voicing your opinion.

But isn't that the main purpose of a forum - to exchange ideas. Perhaps the moderators could let this thread run a few days and see what the customers think is the proper way to handle such threads as my oil thread.
Yes, that is one of the points. The other is to be a database of knowledge to be used for reference, hence the catagorization. We have almost 200,000 posts, and excluding regional sections, only 20 catagories. Seems pretty fair to me.

As for your difficulties in using the board, I can only suggest that you take a few minutes out of your busy life and learn to use the tools in front of you. You're not familiar with the structure of our forum, nor the features available to you. At the top left is a help menu, and the search feature has several advanced options to dig around for just what you want. I think you'll find learning your way around will make this place much more valuable and enjoyable.

As for the customers comment... THAT strikes a nerve...

I'm done with this thread.

BWAH-HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa!!!!!!!

[As for the customers comment... THAT strikes a nerve...

Well, jjsC6, 3 out of 4 aint bad. Skooter? ;)
Hey now! Everybody around here knows that I am the *NICE* one. So it would be just a bit out of character for me to go around slammin the membership.

Now you all have a nice day..........and spread the love.............

:love:

I found that there were so many new posts on topics that meant nothing to me, that it took to long to wade through them, and usually on more than one page of posts.
:blink: :blink:

Isn't that what you are complaining about? The posts already being organized by topic so you DON'T have to wade through them... ;) :rolleyes:

And so you gave up?

First of all, I have tried a "search". Unfortunately "oil" only has three letters, and I don't feel like guessing at what other keywords to use.
Oh, I see now. You DID just give up. Maybe rather than searching for oil, you should have read the technical archives on the ticking problem instead. Seems to me this is what you REALLY want to know about. Had you done that, you would have read that oil choice seems to have no correlation with ticking, and would have realized you didn't even need to ask the question to begin with.

My thread got moved with no indication to me of where it got moved. After much searching, I discovered there is a section for threads that the moderators/owners have deemed to deserve some kind of second class status on the forum, apparently because they are topics that get asked by a lot of new members.
Much Searching?!? You've got to be kidding me, it's right there on the main freaking page! Obviously we see how hard you search for things already. Take 1 minute and go to the main page of the forum, and read the list of catagories. This will save us both a repeat of this conversation next week.

Gee, shouldn't that be an indication that they are subjects that are important to people, and that they should be treated with the respect of being put in a section that a new member might logically look in?
You mean like the New Users FAQ and Commin Info section? Who ever thought THAT might be a good idea?!?

You forgot to mention that was your opinion, not fact. Most members prefer the sections, and it makes find things easier for people who actually take a minute to look around.

I fear that this thread will not be well received by the moderators, for which I apologize.
Some more than others. No need to apologize for voicing your opinion.

Yes, that is one of the points. The other is to be a database of knowledge to be used for reference, hence the catagorization. We have almost 200,000 posts, and excluding regional sections, only 20 catagories. Seems pretty fair to me.

As for your difficulties in using the board, I can only suggest that you take a few minutes out of your busy life and learn to use the tools in front of you. You're not familiar with the structure of our forum, nor the features available to you. At the top left is a help menu, and the search feature has several advanced options to dig around for just what you want. I think you'll find learning your way around will make this place much more valuable and enjoyable.

As for the customers comment... THAT strikes a nerve...
Wow, talk about an arrogant and condacending reply. This takes the cake. Treat me like an idiot on a public forum and I have a nasty habit of striking back. Totally uncalled for reply, and unfortunately somewhat typical of this forum.

And about the "customer" comment. Perhaps you'd like to explain to me how it is that we are not the customers. The fact that we don't spend money is not a reason. Whoever created this forum created if for a reason. Without us, there is no forum, and he is therefore a failure. Look at companies like GM and Ford who seem to have a real problem listening to what is important to their customers.

As to your comments about me needing to learn to use the forum. I had no idea that I needed to "learn" that a question about oil had some place to go other than the "technical" section. Why would I even suspect that to begin with?

I will repeat what I have said in other posts. I don't expect this forum to change for me if my views are not the norm. But I do expect to be treated with some degree of respect - especially given that none of my comments (up until now) have been aimed at anyone nor have they meant to be any kind of insult to anyone.

Geeze-Louise! I can't believe I am actually just on the sidelines on this one.

jjsC6 - My advice is to let this one go. You seem to be stuck on something that is obviously drawing the ire of management. Whether you meant to or not is irrelevant. The fact is, you keep pushing the wrong buttons. As was posted above, this is not the first time this kind of stuff has come up with you, specifically. Perhaps you should take a deep breath, let the anger subside, and ponder this for a while.