Whatzit?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

David Foley

Reaction score
Anybody now what this is? Looks like some 3M film. Was in a Ziploc bag in my pannier when the bike was delivered.

Sorry for the blurry picture

DSC000241_zpsf8a365b9.jpg

If I'm not mistaken it's the clear plastic protective film the dealer puts on at the saddlebag attachment areas. I think it's to avoid scratching paint when you take the bags on and off.

Goes on the back fairing around the holes where the side case top latches go to protect the paint when installing the side cases. This should have been put on before you got the bike. Then again the picture is blurry and I could be wrong. There should be 4 if your FJR is like the others.

Edit: BkerChuck posted while I was typing. At least we agree.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep - fit perfectly. I will get the dealership to install the other two when I go in for the next service. Thanks!

Sounds like you need to find someone else to work on your bike for the long haul. I mean really, the idiots couldn't read and follow simple step-by-step prep instructions? I'd be more concerned about what's going to fall off my bike from lack of attention than I would some 3M film placement.

Three pieces each side.

(Click on image for larger view)

Since the dealer didn't do that properly, make sure the bag lock screws are Loctited.

As rbentnail says, the instructions aren't that hard.

These instructions are supplied with the bags in the European markets, I assume the US gets similar.

Cover

Thanks McAtrophy for the pictures. They point out that there is a third piece of film that is missing from the bike, I will check the loctite as well.

RBentnail - I have Stadium Yamaha in Irving servicing the bike based on recommendations from this forum. I purchased the bike from North Texas Yamaha in Lewisville. I'll drop by there on Friday and see what's up.

My dealer left the protective film in the box too. I havent applied it yet.. and may not.

I am torn... I am very careful mounting and dismounting the boxes... I think the protective film would look like garbage.

I had an "Aunt" when i was a kid that had plastic covers on her couches, and clear flexible runners on her carpets on the traffic areas... that was all i could think of when i saw these...why have a nice couch and plush carpet if you are gonna cover it with shitty looking plastic?

So.. do i put the crappy looking stickers on, or let the paint get a couple digs in it if i screw up... i think im stickin with leavin the pretty paint showing.

My dealer left the protective film in the box too. I havent applied it yet.. and may not.
I am torn... I am very careful mounting and dismounting the boxes... I think the protective film would look like garbage.

I had an "Aunt" when i was a kid that had plastic covers on her couches, and clear flexible runners on her carpets on the traffic areas... that was all i could think of when i saw these...why have a nice couch and plush carpet if you are gonna cover it with shitty looking plastic?

So.. do i put the crappy looking stickers on, or let the paint get a couple digs in it if i screw up... i think im stickin with leavin the pretty paint showing.
They are quite unobtrusive. Look at my pics again, I did everything I could when I took the photos to show them up. Normally I don't notice them at all. Try this "overview" picture :

(Click on imagefor larger view)

If you don't like them on, you can always take them off with a hairdryer.

These instructions are supplied with the bags in the European markets, I assume the US gets similar.

Cover

Same here in the colony.
Pity some of the colonial dealers can't read.

I will go ahead and stick them on... my bike is the '12 Blue...i got a feelin they are gonna stick out... but i'll give it a shot.

(On a side note... You are gonna coerce me into buying one of those Rasberry Pi to play with..every time I see one of your gallery pics, I wind up at the Pi site or Adafruit)

I had similar thoughts at first (my plastic pieces came in the bag, not applied). I decided to put them on thinking, as mcatrophy said, that I could always take them off if I didn’t like them. I’m glad I put them on because a) they don’t actually look bad, and B) I’ve discovered there’s a reason they come with the bike - as you may have noticed there’s not a whole lot of wiggle room when you’re putting the cases on and off, and it just so happens that the surfaces on the cases that are most likely to contact the paint are also surfaces that collect a lot of road grit. Without using great care when removing the bags you could easily apply the equivalent of a 50-grit sandpaper to your paint. I don’t trust myself to be careful enough all the time.

The stickers were applied before I picked up my '05. If they had not been on there I would probably have left them off. You can always put them on later if you get too many scratches.

The stickers were applied before I picked up my '05. If they had not been on there I would probably have left them off. You can always put them on later if you get too many scratches.
Something about bolts, stable doors and horses.