Wheaton and airboss do Kalifornia (did we really do this?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mark, Fantastic Ride Report, Following you and Karls adventure and getting share some of the riding and fun has been thrill. Hoist a cold one! You and Karl deserve it for sharing it with us all.

FWFE

Wheatie said.

"Airboss seemed to get quiet around this memorial."

2011MAYKALITRIP433.jpg

I do tend to reflect whenever I see one of the old hueys.

I wasn't a grunt,USAF for me, I never got involved in the nasty stuff the the Army and the Marines did. I just got to witness the aftermath.

The base I was on was an AL-C (Airlift- Command) center, priority cargo lots of C-141 traffic.

We would unload the cargo and the hueys would bring in the latest group of casualties to be transported for medi-vac or final flight.

So as we celebrate this 4th of July weekend, Thank a Vet, especially the Huey drivers, every flight for them was a Hero flight.

Fantastic ride report!! Sure wish I woulda been with yuz guys. I said this before you took off for Kali that I was kinda like your pit crew, getting you ready for the ride. And at least I was there in spirit during the ride.

Here this is eight years later and I truly enjoyed this ride report. Mark, your epistle has withstood the test of time. It brought back memories of the small part I had to play in it. That was the weekend that at the spur of the moment I decided to join the group and head up to Bodega Bay. Don Stanly (Bemerdons) made room for me in his motel room by having them add a cot for me to sleep on. When we left the next day heading south, that was the only time the two of us ever rode together. I have good memories of that trip.

When it all boils down to it, we enjoy these events as they happen, but we will cherish the memories for a lifetime.

As for flat rear tires, it seems to me that you enjoyed the role of supervisor when I was poking at mine last September in Maggie Valley. 😳

Heres to many more rides to come, meeting new friends, and enjoying each others company once again.

Brodie

😁

Interesting that this old thread got resurrected. I just recently read that Airboss was not doing well. And just over a month ago Wheaton had a bad crash that totaled his '13 FJR. Through a series of happy events one of his riding buddies flew to Oklahoma to pick up a 2013 FJR and rode it back to Wheaton's home in Traveler's Rest, SC. Wheaton cannot ride it yet, he is still dealing with broken bones.

What a great time and enjoyable RR to revisit! Eight years ago! Dang, the time flies by as age takes its toll. But I should complain, with news of Karl being ill and Mark having crashed - wishing them both full and speedy recoveries. I really miss Mark on this forum, because I never seem to get past the registration on the other one. Thanks for resurrecting this thread, Brodie.

Thinking it was Highlander who, at the "140 miles" sign on 36, pointed out that I had scrubbed the last of the tread off my rear PR2 between Fortuna and the sign. Had to follow Bug meekly and mildly east and south on 36, 89 and 49 back to the barn on exposed cord, where I did not get a new tire mounted in time for the last couple days of Golden State touring (recalling that the Sierra passes we were hoping to show those boys were not yet open due to record snowpack).

Last edited by a moderator:
This trip was my introduction to how far forum members will go to welcome someone to their riding area. In retrospect, I can't think that such an epic tour has ever occurred since. It was great to be a part of it.

This all happened long before I came to this forum, but i have met and ridden with quite a few of the reprobates mentioned herein.

I've been fortunate enough to have ridden most if not all of these roads at one time or another, often with Festar in tow or more likely following him.

Great report.

I met up in Fortuna and rode with the group for two days and about a thousand curves. Told Mark about his flat tire in Yreka and watched him plug it three times on the way back to Fortuna. Did 36 back to Red Bluff the next day. I managed to tip my bike over getting the picture on 36 for Mark and Karl helped me pick it up. That was the only time my 03 was on its side. Good times.