Wheaton and airboss do Kalifornia (did we really do this?)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone for your kind comments...

Gee, I wonder if they made it home.....
I'm hoping they do...cuz I got a ride report to finish.

I'm bundling the last three "get home" days into one installment....so it will probably be this weekend before the last one is posted.

A great read Mark, I'm glad we came down to meet you guys. The folks down in California sure made it special for the two of you.

Thanks to them for putting this together for you guys and thanks to you for the great ride report.

...The folks down in California sure made it special for the two of you...
Yes they did. Karl and I are quite aware of all that was done for us, and are extremely grateful that, for some reason, this big shin dig was put on.

We had a blast at this unprecedented rolling meet. :yahoo:

Thanks everyone for your kind comments...

Gee, I wonder if they made it home.....
I'm hoping they do...cuz I got a ride report to finish.

I'm bundling the last three "get home" days into one installment....so it will probably be this weekend before the last one is posted.
This is just like a book that's hard to put down until you finish it.

...This is just like a book that's hard to put down until you finish it.
Now you're embarrassing me...time for you to go bond with that poison oak. :)

I can't say that the "get home" days are going to be exciting stuff...as it's really just a lot of time in the saddle with few pictures. However, I do aim to put a period on this thing this weekend.

I can't say that the "get home" days are going to be exciting stuff...as it's really just a lot of time in the saddle with few pictures. However, I do aim to put a period on this thing this weekend.

Oh, I dunno, the ride up I 76 to I 80 was kinda exciting for me. :lol:

Oh, I dunno, the ride up I 76 to I 80 was kinda exciting for me. :lol:
dagnabbit Karl...okay...teaser from Karl. :)

Enjoying the read wheatie. And like Panman, glad we made the trip down south to dry out and see youse and the Cali crew.

Can't wait for the finish! ;)

--G

Now to continue...

Chapter 6 - The Long Way Home - The Last Chapter

FRI-MAY27TOSUN-MAY29.jpg

Day 14 – 27 May, Friday, - HWY 50 - Unexpected Pleasures

Well, the trip back. The long trip back awaits. The trip out is just as long, but there is the adrenalin of the new day, the unknown ahead. These last few days, I would have to just be open to comes my way, ratchet down the expectations, but yet still expect something. I've got 2000 miles to go…I've got to have something to look forward to during the homeward journey.

Before I get into that, I have to go back a little bit and thank my Aunt Sharon and Uncle James for their hospitality. Sharon fixed some wonderful meals and fixed breakfast special at 5:30am PDT (Hear that JB?) so I could be ready to get to Airboss's motel in Auburn at 7:00 am. It was a great visit and though I packed in as much to that visit as I could, it was not enough. Thanks, it was a great visit!

2011MAYKALITRIP420.jpg

I left Lincoln and headed eastward on 193 ready to get those curves I couldn't rock yesterday. So I was ready, knew they were coming up. Passed a car easily to have some clear space in front of me. Up ahead in the distance I see a car…with a truck in front of it! I don't have a whole lot of time before the curves start so move it up to see whether I can get by before the curves start. No such luck…so I am chomping at the bit…these are my LAST twisty bits before I hit the Interstate and straight roads east! I cannot believe it. The car backs of the truck a little bit, so I find a gap and slip through it. Now the truck…I do a pass I'm not proud of, but I'm a big boy and made the choice, right or wrong, and was willing to live with the consequences. I enjoy the fruits of that pass with a nice dance with theFJR, revs up, rocking left and right, accelerating…for those last few sweet miles before the interstate beckons.

I hit the interstate, rocketing up the ramp and backing off a little bit to fit into the flow of traffic. Before long, I'm at the motel parked next to airboss' bike. No airboss, but he is along shortly. I know there is a small system to our west that we are just ahead of…so if we can keep ahead of it for the 600 miles today, it will make the day go SO much better.

We head out with Karl and his RD in front. Karl keeps a great pace, faster than I usually travel, but with his RD, I'm willing to be corrupted and take the chance of a ticket. I don't have my raingear on as it is not raining, but it IS getting colder as we climb towards Donner Pass. Even though it's interstate, it's still fun to climb with the FJR in the mountains…hey, simple pleasures.

It ends up being 37 degrees at Donner Pass…so plenty chilly. As we go downhill towards Reno and stop at the first exit, it begins to rain a few drops…with lots of drops behind us up towards the pass. Stopped and put rain gear on to warm up and for possible rain.

We exit I-80 at Fernley to get on US50 and gas up at Fallon. Pretty flat in Nevada so far. With the Memorial Day weekend, US 50 actually had some traffic. We even had to wait for traffic to go by once or twice sometimes before performing a pass… "Loneliest Hwy" my ass. ;)

We are headed towards Middlegate for breakfast as Bugnatr said it would be a good place to eat. (I think he told us that he got that info. From puppychow). So we're cruising along US50 at a pretty good clip and looking at our tripmeters/gps cuz Middlegate should be here soon. Is that? What is that? No…couldn't be, looks like an abandoned trailer park so we head past. Whoa…airboss puts on the brakes and we do a U-eee. Yep, that was it. We knew the place was supposed to have "character", just didn't figger on this much. :D
2011MAYKALITRIP425.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP422.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP424.jpg

It was even more interesting inside. Great place to stop…had a great breakfast about noon there.

Bugnatr also recommended that at Eastgate we detour on old US50 (now called 722) over the mountain. Definitely a fun little way to go…anytime you can catch another road going over the mountain, instead of around, it's good. Photos while going around…
2011MAYKALITRIP429.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP431.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP430.jpg

This is a familiar theme on US50 in Nevada…little mountain ridge with 7500ft passes, then long straight aways. I had written off Nevada as being ugly earlier on this trip, but not here…not on US50. Beautiful mountains to look at and make the trip interesting, then you get to go over them or around them. Either way, there's a curve involved. I loved Nevada's US50…it was an unexpected pleasure.

My favorite places were the curves east of Austin, and the scenery east of Ely....Wish I could take pictures on the fly...otherwise, I'd have a ton more.

Trying to stay under blue sky - ahead of the front
2011MAYKALITRIP434.jpg

After each stop, it seemed like the front caught up with us...

2011MAYKALITRIP435.jpg

In Ely,NV looking west down Main Street

2011MAYKALITRIP437.jpg

Looking east...

2011MAYKALITRIP438.jpg

Heading south out of Ely, the mountains on your west...

2011MAYKALITRIP439.jpg

Beautiful

2011MAYKALITRIP440.jpg

East of Ely aways...

2011MAYKALITRIP442.jpg

again, so beautiful...

2011MAYKALITRIP444.jpg

Cross-section of Nevada soil at an embankment...

2011MAYKALITRIP445.jpg

Classic Nevada US50

2011MAYKALITRIP446.jpg

with the FJR this time...

2011MAYKALITRIP447.jpg

We may have exceeded posted...I don't remember. Surely by accident if we did. ;)

Another scene of beauty was as we approached the Great Basin in far eastern Nevada…

2011MAYKALITRIP451.jpg

wow...

2011MAYKALITRIP450.jpg

so serene...

2011MAYKALITRIP453.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP455.jpg

blue beauty…wow. These photos don't come close to capturing what I saw. Just stunning.

2011MAYKALITRIP461.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP454.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP458.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP457.jpg

Another shot of the long road ahead...

2011MAYKALITRIP460.jpg

Karl found a bouquet for Tyler…
2011MAYKALITRIP462.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP463.jpg

A fellow rider on a StreetRod on his way to some races in Utah.
2011MAYKALITRIP467.jpg

Karl and I were trying to stay ahead of the storm front most of the way, so our stops weren't very long. We were successful keeping ahead of it. However, stopping for the night meant that we would likely be in it tomorrow.

We checked into the Delta, UT motel with 600 miles done. After a little bit, we walked across the street to a Mexican restaurant. What we had was great! Karl and I checked the forum…then called it a night.

Now it is rumored that we may have explored the upper rpm ranges of 5th gear during our traverse across Nevada. That is totally untrue. I have the GPS reading to prove it right here…just a second.

Uhmmm, something must have happened to that…can't seem to find it.

Next time...

Day 15 – 28 May, Saturday, I-70 –Head for the Rockies

Bravo Weedie!! You really captured crossing 50 at it's best with weather at your heels. Can't tell you how many times that has been the case for me as I'm bugging out of CA to escape some May rain storm.

It must be an Hwy 50 thing that fouls up the GPS, mine was reading 151 top speed on the way to Austin where the road opens up a bit :blink:

Continuing on...

Day 15 – 28 May, Saturday, I-70 –Head for the Rockies

Well, waking up, we got back into the familiar routine we had when we headed west: showers, coffee, pack up, head down the road out for a few hours, then late breakfast. Somehow, we woke up to sunshine…that was unexpected. Yes!

Packing up
2011MAYKALITRIP389.jpg

We took HWY 50 east to I-70…stopped at a rest stop.

2011MAYKALITRIP393.jpg

Loved the scenery around us…
2011MAYKALITRIP390.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP406.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP407.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP419.jpg

We blasted east in Utah with some high winds…must be a regular thing in the desert country of Nevada and Utah. We took a breakfast stop very late morning in Green River, UT...so Colorado is not too far away now. At Green River, we just closed a very large loop. We were in Green River on Day 2 of our trip, just before we headed south towards the canyonlands. We were back on road we had done before, we knew the road ahead and knew that we would make good time on it.

As we got close to Fruita, CO, Karl passed a semi…then took an off ramp! I checked the rear mirrors, put on the binders and snuck behind the semi to take the ramp. I followed Karl to the Colorado visitor center in Fruita, which was also home to the Western Slopes Colorado Vietnam War Memorial. Knowing a little about Karl's Vietnam War experience, this was an excellent place to stop. It was a sunny day, we were making good time. The memorial was very meaningful and stunning with the Huey mounted as if in flight. How many soldiers in Vietnam looked for help from the Hueys in that war? I'm sure they were a very welcome sight to the soldier in desperate straights…
2011MAYKALITRIP421.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP436.jpg

Airboss seemed to get quiet around this memorial.

2011MAYKALITRIP433.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP468.jpg

We then took a break at our next gas stop near Glenwood Springs…the grassy mountain slopes across the river looked velvety in the early afternoon sun.
2011MAYKALITRIP469.jpg

The rest of the day was spent going over road I was very familiar with since travelling this area on the way out and for NAFO 2008. Somehow that seemed to make the time pass more quickly as you looked for familiar landmarks or looked forward to sweepers that you knew lay ahead. The temperatures at the Eisenhower Tunnel were far less brisk than that morning almost two weeks before. The snow was melted, everything looked a lot different. So now we are on the downward slope to Denver, and once we are there, Fort Morgan is just down the road. It seemed like a pleasant day of riding, meaningful, with good scenery, and 600 miles closer to home.

We got to Fort Morgan and I just got some fast food from across the motel parking lot. Brought it back to the motel room, checked out the forum and called it a night. It was going to be a long day tomorrow and we needed our rest…because we were getting up early…5:00am CDT (Which is 3:00am PDT…hear that JB?) Went to sleep with the sound of rain hitting the motel room windows…great.

Next...

Day 16 – 29 May, Sunday, Crazy Winds, Crazy Clouds, Weirdos and Wankers

I should be following the long trip East starting July 16. I think we are going to take a slower route through Colorado and will pick up Cortez, Durango, Silverton Ouray and Salida. Great trip report! I can hardley wait for the Plains.

Continuing on...

Day 16 – 29 May, Sunday, Crazy Winds, Crazy Clouds, Weirdos and Wankers

The longest day. That's what this was going to be. I knew it when I planned it…no way to get around it. I had fun out in Kali, today's the day I had to pay the piper. A long day in the saddle…with two, count 'em two photos taken during the day up until we separate at the Truck Stop in IA. So Fairlaner, you can look at the two photos and move on I guess.

Wasn't thinking about too much when I woke up, just that it's time to go…it's dark out, cuz it ain't sunrise yet, and time to put one foot in front of the other. Got some coffee, packed up, and were on the bikes and KSU at 6am CDT/5amMDT. Leaving Fort Morgan, CO in the dark…but twilight will be coming shortly. No rain starting out…so atleast that's good. Took the on ramp to I-76 east and got up to speed…

Everything is fine until….WHAM! Not 5 minutes into the ride, the interstate road comes out of the bathtub arrangement and up exposed to the elements. Crosswind HELL! Not your average crosswind, not an annoying crosswind, not a tiring crosswind, but a concentrate and stay on the ball or you'll get blown off the road crosswind! This continues mile after mile, buffeting and blowing around, and only about 900 miles to go. No way we can keep this up for hours…as we turned eastward on I-80, the death grip can now be relaxed. Whew!

I enjoyed the sunrise…but would have enjoyed it more without the hellacious crosswind. I enjoyed the transition from night time to the lightening of the twilight before dawn. It hurts to get up early…but I think dawn is God's visual reward for the effort. I love it every time…it can be magical if you appreciate that sort of thing. I learned to appreciate that stuff during morning paper route delivery before school in junior high.

So during the crosswind, I'm looking to the west and see storm clouds, backlit with twilight color, showing heavy rainfall in some areas. Uh, oh…this could really be bad news, crosswinds then storms all day. I remember seeing a sign that early morning saying "Omaha, NE – 408 miles". Whoa.

Karl and I seemed to be riding in a low lying cloud all day…a constant mist hit our face shields and riding gear. Karl took over and kept the pedal to the metal…he's good that way. ;) The 400 turned to 300 to 200 to signs for Lincoln…so we knew we were almost across that long state. Before noontime, we stopped for gas and had our breakfast west of Lincoln in York, Nebraska at a truck stop.
2011MAYKALITRIP470.jpg

We headed out after much coffee, eggs, sausage, toast w/jam, and hash browns…

The plan was to gas up next on the north side of Omaha…I was in the lead, so of course I messed that up. My used gps was having issues and powering down, but no big deal, it's just I-80 east for hundreds of miles with the bypasses around the cities. I forgot that 29 on the east side was in Iowa and out in the boondocks, no fuel there….so I am passing what little gas stations they have on the northwest side of Omaha. Oh well, Karl passes me up (I think he flipped me the bird) after we get into Iowa and pulls into a Iowa Welcome center rest area.

I think we are going for a pit stop, and then a quick check of the closest gas stations on Karl's gps. So, it's warming up,the sun is starting to shine, it's after lunch, it seems to be drying out, so I am going to strip out of my raingear. I notice Karl talking to somebody for awhile (Karl can shoot the breeze with anybody) then turning and heading for the restroom.

I see this person walking out towards the parking lot with her cleaning equipment, picking up trash or whatever. So I am stripping out of my gear and this woman starts talking to me. I'm kind of doing my thing there in front of her as she is chatting away. And as I pay attention to what she is saying, it is not about the weather or anything, it becomes very personal. Like embarrassing personal, deep dark secrets personal, and she's talking a mile a minute, while I'm stuck there changing gear…wishing I could cover my ears, and yell "LA LA LA LA LA…" so I wouldn't hear about the time this black guy propositioned her while she was cleaning a restroom and the personal things that happened thereafter for the next 10-15 minutes (where's Karl…help!). So I'm done with my gear and trying to make no eye contact with this person hoping she gets the hint…but she doesn't and keeps on blathering. She finally stops whatever it was she was trying to tell me, as Karl gets there, so I ask her for one thing. I ask to take her picture…I say that she is going to be famous on the internet. :)
2011MAYKALITRIP471.jpg

…so I head over to the restroom, and as I'm walking that way, I turn around and she has snagged someone else to tell her deep dark secrets to. (oh dear). :(

Welcome to Iowa! :D

So we get up the road a piece and Karl picks out a gas station, I call Louanne to give her a progress report…and she asks why the SPOT is not on. I tell Karl and he turns it on…I guess she kinda liked that SPOT after all…and liked to know where we were and that we were safe.

We stopped again in east central Iowa and I got some big cookies from a Subway to go with our coffee. Karl didn't want 'em so I ate them. :D It was relatively clear and pleasant weather through the rest of Iowa.

The next stop was our last stop…the I-80 Truck stop in Walcott, IA. "The World's Biggest Truckstop!" This stop would mark the end of Karl's and my travels together. I didn't feel like having a meal, with all the cookies in my stomach, and the urge to get home, so I just had an iced tea instead. So we took some "last of the trip photos" at the truck stop before we departed and headed our separate ways.

Karl, it was great riding with you bud!

2011MAYKALITRIP476.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP477.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP472.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP478.jpg

Karl wanted me to give you the whole Truck stop tour...so here are trucks INSIDE the truck stop.

2011MAYKALITRIP480.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP481.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP482.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP484.jpg

2011MAYKALITRIP479.jpg

Bye Karl..."man about North America". What a stud.

2011MAYKALITRIP474.jpg

I would close the trip report here with those photos, but this is not the end. I am not in my driveway…I am 180 or so miles away. Stuff can happen.

Well, I once again rip down the on ramp, enjoying the thrust out of the FJR engine. I get into traffic and see immediately that there are two semis side by side doing the double nickel on the interstate just west of Davenport, IA. There is a car in front of me…then the blocking semi in the left lane. The truck cabs are lined up with each other so I presume they are jawing at each other or something. Mile after mile…never seen it go on for this long. And I am pissed. I've been up since 0Dark30 and these two clowns are having some sort of game going on blocking people….we've got quite a line now…and the cage behind me is starting to crowd me as well. So Bart the Blocker in the left lane pulls slightly ahead of Willy the Wanker in the right lane…not enough for the car to take a chance on it…but Bart just kind of holds it there for awhile…toying. Well, I am rabid…and I see a gap, and I shoot it! I shoot just ahead of Bart, stay there for a little bit and give him the best salute I can think of and then head off….not too fast, but moving along anyways. Not proud of the move I made. I just made it.

So now I'm free, gettin' home to see my kin…I look up ahead and see something in the median. SLOW down..now. Sure enough, a County Mountie is parked in the median. No flashing lights, no siren..whew. That would have been BAD after the big dramatic salute I just gave…to have those truckers laugh at me, while I'm fuming on the side of the road…getting a ticket on the LAST day of my trip.

So I continued on…chastising myself for almost getting a ticket, crossed the Mississippi, then headed north on I-88 which would take to me Wheaton in about 150 miles or so. I found a sedan, in this evening light, that was doing a good pace…and stuck on her tale all the way to I-39. I looked around and all the farmers' fields had standing water ponding and drowning the fresh shoots of planted crops. It has really rained here just ahead of our ride today. Seems like our timing on this trip has been unbelievably good as far as weather goes. Out of 10 days in Kali, 9 were without significant rain…and even the 10th was rideable…just not fun for pleasure cruising. Out of the 6 days blasting out and back, only parts of two ended up being a rain nuisance. Karl and I were very lucky as far as weather is concerned. 62 degrees in Death valley…perfect. No significant fog in San Fran or along the north coast. No 100+ degrees in the Central valley. Cool and dry – perfect riding weather for a mcy trip. Very fortunate indeed.

It was coming to the home stretch now, 50 miles or so away. Traffic started getting thicker closer to suburbia…and faster too, so the pace was good. I can count the miles to my exit on one hand now…almost there. But not yet, keep your radar up.

I get off at the Naperville Road exit, 4 miles from home. As I cross under the tollway, a bunch of squiddly rice rockets following of all things, a Harley Full Dresser mothership, pull out in front of me. They then sit at the red light with their right turn signals on, so I can't turn right for home. MY HORN SOUNDS. My day is done, get outta my way you turkeys. So they peel off to the right and I pass them as I head into the left lane. They appear stunned at the acceleration of this fully loaded down bagger. The Harley guy with his girl on the back looks at me and tips the cap. I have no idea what his bag is, taking the kids out for a drag race? A couple of them were spinning tires and appeared out of control…and not like a "I meant that" sort of way. More like, I've never been taught, and I'm in over my head and don't even know it sort of way.

So I take it real slow, take a few deep breaths, calm down and keep my radar up for enemy for the last few miles before I get home. I pull into the driveway and into the garage about 9:45pm CDT…having left Fort Morgan, CO about 6am CDT. Not a bad day.

Not a bad trip.

Not a bad trip at all.
2011MAYKALITRIP486.jpg

Epilogue.

You know, some people will measure this trip by the number of miles ridden. Others will notice a certain speed indicated...as life is all about speed and the "rush of excitement" one gets on a bike. I measure it by those things, yes. But also the number of curves ridden, the number of memories generated, and the friends (new and old) I get to meet. Thanks everybody for all your hospitality and kindness while we were out your way. You guys were great. :clapping:

Thanks also for reading this stream of consciousness RR and ignoring the typos and poor photos. Hopefully it will have given someone a small glimpse as to what this trip was like. I don't know if it achieved that...but I tried.

EDIT-

I should also make special mention here to thank people who made special efforts to help me before and during this trip. I don't want to wait until the RR is done as that may take too long to provide a timely thank-you.

Rich/exskibum - NorCal routes, snow reports, and ride leading...THANK-YOU! Thanks for everything! It was fun to ride behind such a smooth rider. :clapping:

Skaggs Spring Rd. HOLY CRAP!!! :yahoo:

Tyler - CenCal routes, organizing rides, organizing dinners, and MORE organizing...and ride leading. You did heaps of work for me girl...much more than I deserve, and more than I can ever repay you for. Thank-you so much. :clapping: It seems strange to think that we just met...seems like I've known you for a long time.

Griff - My riding buddy that couldn't make the ride. Griff made all the reservations for us three...and then didn't get the benefit of his own labor. Sorry you couldn't make the trip...airboss and I made the best of it. ;) Thanks for all the work you also did pre-ride to change the CCT, install sparkplugs, do a TBS, change fork oil, and all the other stuff you do helping to teach me the basics of FJR maintenance. THANKS buddy.

KJ/George - Thanks for being my first tour guide out here...you did a great job...making efforts so I could see Morro Bay and the Rock, AND doing the Trooper mod to my bike.(I like the mod...and my son David smiled a great big smile when he heard it for the first time)

I had great fun riding with you, seeing your art work in your barn, and eating at Maggie's Diner. Thanks! Thanks also for lending Rudy out to us to lead us the next day...we had great fun following him down 229 and 58 to McKittrick and back.

Richard/Fairlaner - Thanks for being the man at party central at Big Bad Bubba's BBQ. I had a great time...thanks for telling the man at the mechanical bull controls to take it easy on my old body. The thoughts of blowing out a knee just as this trip was starting up with thousands of miles left to go did cross my mind. ;) Thanks also for the hints regarding the GoPro setup on my bike...that helped alot. It was also fun to try to hang with you for a little bit on Peach Tree road with the GoPro going.

Doug/Bugnatr - Thanks also, bigtime, to Doug/Bugnatr and his wife for hosting us at their house in Peardale. You guys went way over the top to put us up. We were pretty whupped by the time we got to your place, and you guys let us just hang out and relax. I appreciated the ride you set up and I also really appreciated the birthday dinner you set up just for me. I had a really nice evening...and have already worn the "Willo" restaurant tee-shirt you gave me with pride. THANKS!

TOMinCA - At the very last minute...the night before I believe...we found out that Rich was not able to lead for the last day we were in California due to mechanical and real life getting in the way issues. Tom stepped right up to fill the gap and took airboss and I on a great ride. It was a great way to spend our last full day in Kali....thanks Tom. We really appreciated what you did for us there...that was huge. :yahoo:

Last, but not least, Karl and I want to thank every one of you who came out to ride with us. We know it wasn't about us, because it doesn't take much for people to want to get out and ride. We just had a great time meeting new FJR friends, and reacquainting with friends we've met before. You guys all rock!!! :yahoo:

EDIT: Dagnabbit, I knew I would forget somebody. The morning we left Bodega Bay, I looked at my oil level and it was down to the bottom of the sight glass. :huh: I had to get some oil...on a Sunday even...in NorCal. Fat chance. Well as Beemerdons and Brodie were heading for points south, I asked if either of them had some oil. Beemerdons gets off his already loaded bike, and gives Lucy Liu (his FJR) a splash of oil and then hands me the rest of his quart. Thanks Don! :clapping: I know that messed up your party plans later...but my bike needed it and must have really liked your oil. It kept all of it. :) You really can count on FJR riders to help out in a pinch...that's been my experience for sure.

Until next time...

Last edited by a moderator:
*first to his feet, begins standing ovation*

Mark, that was a GREAT report for what may well be the m/c trip of a lifetime for you, as it would be for most of us. It was great to see you and Karl again, and to share, for one thing, your one California day that was NOT "without significant rain." Great pictures, great story, told in a very readable way. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator: