Wheaton finally rides to California

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
it's a bit chilly, but not horrible...

I'm in the garage installing the new RaceTech rear shock. Phone is on and the Spot link is up. Maybe I'll need a test ride by the time they get near here...

I was still up, on the computer and constructing MapSource routes for riding to Bodega Bay and Fortuna when this cluster-feck was initiated in the wee hours this morning. Outta curiosity, I clicked on the radar image for the US and could see that our intrepid C-feckers were certainly going to be getting wet while in Illinois.

What I'm most concerned about is their timing getting across the Rockies from Denver. The forecast for the Sierras (e.g. from Bishop north anyway) for Sunday is this Winter Storm watch:

Issued by The National Weather Service Sacramento, CASat, May 14, 2011, 4:55 AM PDT

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS:10 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH 5 TO 7 INCHES ABOVE 5000 FEET. SNOW MAY FALL DOWN TO 3000 FEET DURING THE DAY SUNDAY.

* ELEVATION:SNOW LEVELS NEAR 4500 FEET EARLY SUNDAY WILL DROP TO 3000 FEET IN HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS DURING THE DAY SUNDAY. SNOW MAY HAVE DIFFICULTY ACCUMULATING ON THE WARM ROADS AT FIRST... BUT WILL LIKELY BEGIN TO DO SO AS SUNDAY MORNING PROGRESSES.

* TIMING:SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW WITH LIMITED VISIBILITY IN STRONG WINDS IS POSSIBLE. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS BY SUNDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: CHESTER... QUINCY... LASSEN PARK... YUBA PASS... INTERSTATE 80... HIGHWAY 50... HIGHWAY 88 AND ALL UPPER ELEVATION MOUNTAIN AREAS AND PASSES.

* WINDS:SOUTHWEST WIND GUSTS TO 45 MPH ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY WITH REDUCED VISIBILITY IN BLOWING SNOW.

* IMPACTS:LATE SEASON WINTER WEATHER WITH SNOW... STRONG WINDS AND COLD TEMPERATURES. MANY PEOPLE HAVE PUT AWAY THEIR WINTER TRAVELING GEAR BECAUSE THE WEATHER HAS BEEN MUCH WARMER LATELY. BE AWARE THAT DANGEROUS TRAVELING CONDITIONS IN ICE AND SNOW ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY. THUNDERSNOW IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&& More Information

... WINTER WEATHER WILL IMPACT THE MOUNTAINS SUNDAY...

.AN UNUSUALLY COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BRING SNOW... GUSTY WINDS AND COLD TEMPERATURES TO THE AREA LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW WITH WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 45 MPH ARE LIKELY OVER MOUNTAIN PASSES SUNDAY AND SUNDAY EVENING. TRAVEL IN THE MOUNTAINS MAY BE HAZARDOUS DURING THIS TIME. BACK COUNTRY AND RECREATIONAL TRAVEL MAY ALSO BE DANGEROUS IN FRESH SNOWFALL. SNOW WILL BECOME MORE SHOWERY SUNDAY EVENING. ICY ROADS MAY CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY NIGHT. BE PREPARED FOR WINTER TRAVELING CONDITIONS IF YOU PLAN TO DRIVE IN THE MOUNTAINS SUNDAY. CARRY CHAINS AND WARM CLOTHES AND BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE DEPARTING.
Point is that while they're now east of this system that is predicted to batter the Sierras on Sunday, and while their route may take them south of the worst of it via Hwy 70, I'm worried about their timing. They probably need to get over the continental divide on 70 before this thing hits the Colorado Rockies. Getting caught in it between Denver and Grand Junction (Eisenhower tunnel's approaches, Dillon, Vail, etc.) might be a late season, high altitude, snow driven misery that forces them off the road and into an unscheduled motel stop for a day or so.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was still up, on the computer and constructing MapSource routes for riding to Bodega Bay and Fortuna when this cluster-feck was initiated in the wee hours this morning. Outta curiosity, I clicked on the radar image for the US and could see that our intrepid C-feckers were certainly going to be getting wet while in Illinois.

What I'm most concerned about is their timing getting across the Rockies from Denver. The forecast for the Sierras (e.g. from Bishop north anyway) for Sunday is this Winter Storm watch:

Issued by The National Weather Service Sacramento, CASat, May 14, 2011, 4:55 AM PDT

THE WINTER STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM LATE TONIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY EVENING.

* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS:10 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW ABOVE 7000 FEET WITH 5 TO 7 INCHES ABOVE 5000 FEET. SNOW MAY FALL DOWN TO 3000 FEET DURING THE DAY SUNDAY.

* ELEVATION:SNOW LEVELS NEAR 4500 FEET EARLY SUNDAY WILL DROP TO 3000 FEET IN HEAVIER SNOW SHOWERS DURING THE DAY SUNDAY. SNOW MAY HAVE DIFFICULTY ACCUMULATING ON THE WARM ROADS AT FIRST... BUT WILL LIKELY BEGIN TO DO SO AS SUNDAY MORNING PROGRESSES.

* TIMING:SNOW WILL BEGIN LATE SATURDAY NIGHT AND BECOME HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGH SUNDAY AFTERNOON. OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW WITH LIMITED VISIBILITY IN STRONG WINDS IS POSSIBLE. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF TO SCATTERED SNOW SHOWERS BY SUNDAY EVENING.

* LOCATIONS INCLUDE: CHESTER... QUINCY... LASSEN PARK... YUBA PASS... INTERSTATE 80... HIGHWAY 50... HIGHWAY 88 AND ALL UPPER ELEVATION MOUNTAIN AREAS AND PASSES.

* WINDS:SOUTHWEST WIND GUSTS TO 45 MPH ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY WITH REDUCED VISIBILITY IN BLOWING SNOW.

* IMPACTS:LATE SEASON WINTER WEATHER WITH SNOW... STRONG WINDS AND COLD TEMPERATURES. MANY PEOPLE HAVE PUT AWAY THEIR WINTER TRAVELING GEAR BECAUSE THE WEATHER HAS BEEN MUCH WARMER LATELY. BE AWARE THAT DANGEROUS TRAVELING CONDITIONS IN ICE AND SNOW ARE POSSIBLE SUNDAY. THUNDERSNOW IS ALSO POSSIBLE.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WATCH MEANS THERE IS A POTENTIAL FOR SIGNIFICANT SNOW... SLEET... OR ICE ACCUMULATIONS THAT MAY IMPACT TRAVEL. CONTINUE TO MONITOR THE LATEST FORECASTS.

&& More Information

... WINTER WEATHER WILL IMPACT THE MOUNTAINS SUNDAY...

.AN UNUSUALLY COLD LOW PRESSURE SYSTEM WILL BRING SNOW... GUSTY WINDS AND COLD TEMPERATURES TO THE AREA LATE SATURDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY NIGHT. OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW WITH WIND GUSTS IN EXCESS OF 45 MPH ARE LIKELY OVER MOUNTAIN PASSES SUNDAY AND SUNDAY EVENING. TRAVEL IN THE MOUNTAINS MAY BE HAZARDOUS DURING THIS TIME. BACK COUNTRY AND RECREATIONAL TRAVEL MAY ALSO BE DANGEROUS IN FRESH SNOWFALL. SNOW WILL BECOME MORE SHOWERY SUNDAY EVENING. ICY ROADS MAY CONTINUE INTO SUNDAY NIGHT. BE PREPARED FOR WINTER TRAVELING CONDITIONS IF YOU PLAN TO DRIVE IN THE MOUNTAINS SUNDAY. CARRY CHAINS AND WARM CLOTHES AND BE SURE TO CHECK YOUR VEHICLE BEFORE DEPARTING.
Point is that while they're now east of this system that is predicted to batter the Sierras on Sunday, and while their route may take them south of the worst of it via Hwy 70, I'm worried about their timing. They probably need to get over the continental divide on 70 before this thing hits the Colorado Rockies. Getting caught in it between Denver and Grand Junction (Eisenhower tunnel's approaches, Dillon, Vail, etc.) might be a late season, high altitude, snow driven misery that forces them off the road and into an unscheduled motel stop for a day or so.
Yo Rich, when I mailed off the AAA maps to Wheatie, he gave me a confidential phone number for himself. Do you think I should call him and read your post to him???

Yo Rich, when I mailed off the AAA maps to Wheatie, he gave me a confidential phone number for himself. Do you think I should call him and read your post to him???
Yeah, at least give him a heads up that he needs to get good weather forecast info for that part of their route. Here's one 5 day for Vail, CO, which is in the heart of the area we're talking about:

https://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/USCO0388:1:US

and here's another:

https://www.accuweather.com/us/co/vail/81657/forecast-accupop.asp

Check them out -- they seem to indicate that tonight and tomorrow's Sierra storm may not hit them while they're traversing the divide in Colorado.

Yeah, at least give him a heads up that he needs to get good weather forecast info for that part of their route. Here's one 5 day for Vail, CO, which is in the heart of the area we're talking about:

https://www.weather.com/weather/5-day/USCO0388:1:US

and here's another:

https://www.accuweather.com/us/co/vail/81657/forecast-accupop.asp

Check them out -- they seem to indicate that tonight and tomorrow's Sierra storm may not hit them while they're traversing the divide in Colorado.
Well Rich, I sure tried! Got this message on Wheatie's Secret Cell: INDIVIDUAL IS NOT ACCEPTING CALLS AT THIS TIME! Hopefully, they'll look at your post tonight!

Once they stop I'm sure they'll re-check the weather. I've been caught in snow west of the Eisenhower tunnel. Plenty of places to pull aside and rest.

I hope they didn't forget to salute omahell... :)

Paso Robles Lodging Info: I just spoke to Neil at the Front Desk of the Motel 6 and I booked my room. I used my Old Fart Fecund Fogies Senior Discount for a room with a single bed on May 19 for $44.99, plus tax. Guaranteed for after 6pm arrival with a Confirmation. At this moment in time, there are still ten rooms now available!

Paso Robles Lodging Info: I just spoke to Neil at the Front Desk of the Motel 6 and I booked my room. I used my Old Fart Fecund Fogies Senior Discount for a room with a single bed on May 19 for $44.99, plus tax. Guaranteed for after 6pm arrival with a Confirmation. At this moment in time, there are still ten rooms now available!
Sounds fair. So we could arrive at say 9 PM and still have time to be infested with bed bugs. :yahoo:

Sounds fair. So we could arrive at say 9 PM and still have time to be infested with bed bugs. :yahoo:
Brother Tom, if you drink enough Bushmill's Irish Whiskey, there's not a bed bug tough enough on this planet to chomp you and survive. I pity the bed bug that bites me!

Brother Tom, if you drink enough Bushmill's Irish Whiskey, there's not a bed bug tough enough on this planet to chomp you and survive. I pity the bed bug that bites me!
Green label should do for me. :clapping:

I will give this a good try. If anyone is still looking to split a room for the night, let me know and that could decide it.

Ok, Duke & I are booked for motel 6 paso robles thursday night! We will ride with ya all friday, but split from ya at gilroy. We are gonna go to yosmite & I gotta meet a friend down at the cajon pass sunday.

Anyone know the rte decided for paso robles to santa clara on friday. I saw about 3 different ones in these million posts!

Any idea what time the Friday ride will leave Paso Robles? Trying to decide where to meet the ride coming from Sacramento. It looks like Coalinga if you are not urgently getting out of town, and Hollister, if we want to wait around a while.

Any idea what time the Friday ride will leave Paso Robles? Trying to decide where to meet the ride coming from Sacramento. It looks like Coalinga if you are not urgently getting out of town, and Hollister, if we want to wait around a while.
Tomaso, I'm not the El Jefe of Friday's ride, Richard Fairlaner is El Jefe! But, I have my cell phone on 24/7/365 if you wanted to call me Friday morning: 480-440-4666 to find out the up to date status on Friday's Rolling Mooks Cluster Feck.

Man oh man, I am excited about this ride. It's 3am here in Chandler and I woke up thinking about this run. So, I've got the two FJR saddlebag liners, the Givi top box liner and the Yamaha tank bag set out and I am packing away like crazy!