wheatonFJR's Inaugural Appalacian FJR Camping Meet

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Bob

It sounds like we will have the "Marshals" all over for coffee. Geeser (beer marshal), Wheaton (camp marshal), me (coffee marshal), and with your stove, and my habit :smokin: we better have Intech (fire marshal) come on over. I'll bring lots of coffee.

Last edited by a moderator:
NOA says currently its

"CLEAR SKY AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL INTO

THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 30S ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN NORTH

CAROLINA MOUNTAINS DURING THE PRE-DAWN HOURS THURSDAY. AREAS OF

FROST ARE LIKELY TO DEVELOP.

So worst case all you need is your light Canadian summer bag... (I'll be in a kabin heh heh)

NOA says currently its
"CLEAR SKY AND LIGHT WINDS WILL ALLOW TEMPERATURES TO FALL INTO

THE LOWER AND MIDDLE 30S ACROSS THE CENTRAL AND SOUTHERN NORTH

CAROLINA MOUNTAINS DURING THE PRE-DAWN HOURS THURSDAY. AREAS OF

FROST ARE LIKELY TO DEVELOP.

So worst case all you need is your light Canadian summer bag... (I'll be in a kabin heh heh)
So balmy and warm for us Canadians?

Does anyone know what the normal overnight temps will be at the campsite. I need to know which sleeping bag to pack.
Definitely pack your heavy bag. Smokies are very likely to get really cool at night that time of year. Better to be safe than sorry.

Gonna' miss everyone. This meet looks like loads of fun... but just cannot swing the vacation time.

Everyone be safe & have a good time, Heidi

Can't come soon enough. Normally I don't rush time, but work sucks right now and I will be glad when this phase is over and I am freezing my nads off in the mountains.......

[SIZE=18pt]UPDATE 5/3/10:[/SIZE]

Email from Phil (the owner)

Mark,

Sorry it is taking me so long to get my emails read. Just read your other one, too. We now have our store stocked with a variety of foods, including breakfasts items so we are offering our campers cheap, quick alternatives for meals. Coffee is available every morning 7 days a week.

Thanks,

Phil

[SIZE=18pt]Appallacian camping ONE WEEK FROM TONIGHT[/SIZE] :clapping:

Get your riding routes in order, do the final checks on your camping equipment, and be prepared to have a good time at the camp sharing stories around the campfire about the day's excellent riding! :yahoo:

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip026.jpg

10-0411WIovernightcampingtrip027.jpg

DSCF1961.jpg

Be there!

Last edited by a moderator:
6 days to launch! Upcoming weekend slated for maintenance and new skins. Outage over...life returning to normal....aahhhhhh! Man do I need this trip!

DSCF1961.jpg

Be there!
Gee that looks familiar!

Ticking fixed, Cruise fixed, new PR2's on, oil changed, bike serviced, camping gear packed, out of country medical bought, meet up plans made all that's left is to load the bike, pick up beers and ride south for 2 days. See ya's next week! WOOO!

okay, okay, I said next week, but I went ahead and printed all the name tags. I used the existing list from the 1st post. Hey Mark, let me know if you add anyone. I will print a few blanks anyway.

Is it Thursday morning 13 May yet????

:hyper:

DSCF1961.jpg

Be there!
Gee that looks familiar!

Ticking fixed, Cruise fixed, new PR2's on, oil changed, bike serviced, camping gear packed, out of country medical bought, meet up plans made all that's left is to load the bike, pick up beers and ride south for 2 days. See ya's next week! WOOO!

So far ,so good.... I've not been struck down with employment yet.

I gave my old air mattress a test last night. By morning it had gone flat. I know I have a few more of them around here somewhere. I hope my kids didn't take all the good ones. :eek:

I gave my old air mattress a test last night. By morning it had gone flat. I know I have a few more of them around here somewhere. I hope my kids didn't take all the good ones. :eek:
I went with the self inflating pads from Cabelas. Can't wait to see what the configuration is going to look like on the feej with camping gear for two. should be interesting! Is is Thursday yet?

The closer we get the better the forecast is looking. Upper 70's during the day and low 50's overnight. That was for Waynesville, so the overnight at the campground could be a little lower. Should be very comfortable!

I went with the self inflating pads from Cabelas. Can't wait to see what the configuration is going to look like on the feej with camping gear for two. should be interesting! Is is Thursday yet?

I'm in the same boat...trying to pack for two, lol. All my previous bike tenting trips have been solo and my gear's compact...that's not the case with the wife's gear, so trying to work out the logistics. The campground website says they have rental mattresses, so I might go that route if we can't squeeze it all on board, lol. We don't have a top box, but I have a PCA sport touring rack being delivered today, so I'll have a good spot for the tent/ground cloth, and stuff sack. Hopefully, we can get away with using our Eureka Apex 2 tent rather than the larger 4 man Coleman we have (wife test this weekend, lol). Don't want to overload that rack. ;)

[

I'm in the same boat...trying to pack for two, lol. All my previous bike tenting trips have been solo and my gear's compact...that's not the case with the wife's gear, so trying to work out the logistics. The campground website says they have rental mattresses, so I might go that route if we can't squeeze it all on board, lol. We don't have a top box, but I have a PCA sport touring rack being delivered today, so I'll have a good spot for the tent/ground cloth, and stuff sack. Hopefully, we can get away with using our Eureka Apex 2 tent rather than the larger 4 man Coleman we have (wife test this weekend, lol). Don't want to overload that rack. ;)

I do have a top box. I put a rack on the top, so lighter stuff can attach there. I think I am going to try and find a couple of those compression bags for the sleeping bags. It is more a matter of bulk than weight with those. I didn't know about the mattress rental, however this is kind of a test trip for us. We have camped a lot in the past, but never on the bike. Was talking with the wife last night about the ride down and back. I think it finally sunk in how long a ride it will be! Google says 9.5 hrs. Her response was "that's without stops too. Isn't it?" A mere 506.2 miles according to Google. Yep. It's going to be a good 4 days!

Is it thursday yet? :hyper:

I do have a top box. I put a rack on the top, so lighter stuff can attach there. I think I am going to try and find a couple of those compression bags for the sleeping bags. It is more a matter of bulk than weight with those. I didn't know about the mattress rental, however this is kind of a test trip for us. We have camped a lot in the past, but never on the bike. Was talking with the wife last night about the ride down and back. I think it finally sunk in how long a ride it will be! Google says 9.5 hrs. Her response was "that's without stops too. Isn't it?" A mere 506.2 miles according to Google. Yep. It's going to be a good 4 days!

Is it thursday yet? :hyper:
Heh, my wife's sleeping bag doesn't compress worth a damn...it's sitting in the garage with a cinch strap around it and it doesn't look much smaller than normal, lol. We're shopping this weekend for some stuff, so maybe we'll find something that'll work better.

She's a bit concerned with the distance, about 340 miles for us, since she's never done more than a few hours at a time. We have stock seats which don't bother me, but I'm not so sure about pillion (perhaps a seat test at the meet will change things). I figure plenty of stops along the way will help her out.