When a phillips isn't a phillips screw?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

timk

timk
Reaction score
I'm sure some know this,but I didn't. From another site:

The Phillips screw drive has slightly rounded corners in the tool recess, and was designed so the driver will slip out, or cam out, under high torque to prevent over-tightening. The Phillips Screw Company was founded in Oregon in 1933 by Henry F. Phillips, who bought the design from J. P. Thompson. Phillips was unable to manufacture the design, so he passed the patent to the American Screw Company, who was the first to manufacture it.

◦A JIS (Japanese Industrial Standard) head, commonly found in Japanese equipment, looks like a Phillips screw, but is designed not to cam out and will, therefore, be damaged by a Phillips screwdriver if it is too tight. Heads are usually identifiable by a single dot to one side of the cross slot. The standard number is JIS B 1012:1985

The toolkit, cheap as it is with most Japanese bikes, usually has the proper bits for the JIS heads.....and they will work on a Phillips head as well.

...The Phillips screw drive has slightly rounded corners in the tool recess, and was designed so the driver will slip out, or cam out, under high torque to prevent over-tightening...
Which is why my assembly line had a high reject rate for chassis with bunged Phillips screws. So I outfitted the line with these ACO or ACR bits chucked in torque limiting drivers. Note the ribs that lock the bits in the screw head.

p_080441000_1.jpg

You can buy screwdrivers with this kind of tip too.

Wera-Kraftform-300-Series-Plus-Anti-Cam-Out-Phillips.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

When it's a pozidriv. I run into pozidrivs more than the JIS. Not that I see either of them very often. It's good to know the difference. Philips screwdrivers don't fit all that well in pozidriv screws.

When it's a pozidriv. I run into pozidrivs more than the JIS. Not that I see either of them very often. It's good to know the difference. Philips screwdrivers don't fit all that well in pozidriv screws.
Great now I need to get a few pozidriv bits for work. I keep finding new equiptment with all kinds of odd hardware.

It could be worse....old Brit bikes had Reed & Prince cross-point screws. :blink:
I still have bins of reed&prince screws and to make it worse I also have Whitworth ans british standard fine fasteners. Have the wrenches that fit them also. :)

It could be worse....old Brit bikes had Reed & Prince cross-point screws. :blink:
I still have bins of reed&prince screws and to make it worse I also have Whitworth ans british standard fine fasteners. Have the wrenches that fit them also. :)
I forgot Whitworth....and I also have some wrenches.

Ahhh....but those were heady days, weren't they!?!? :eek:

And to think...SOME people complain about SAE vs. metric! :huh:

I forgot Whitworth....and I also have some wrenches.

Ahhh....but those were heady days, weren't they!?!? :eek:

And to think...SOME people complain about SAE vs. metric! :huh:

Think it might have something to do with age????? :eek: