When do you consider it to be to hot to ride?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And here we are in Texas having the oddest of weather. Two days it hasn't gotten out of the 70's and today's high was 88. Tomorrow around 90. Usually we are starting our run of 100+ temps right now, and while we have seen 106F already, I'm not complaining about the cooler temps for sure!

It's not fun, but It usually doesn't stop me from riding. I came close to passing out one summer on the bike, laid on the side of the of the road with a wet t-shirt on my head for an hour or so. Prayed for a store with A\C, then a shade tree, then to just not fall off. Cooled my melon and made it home.

A job working on boilers is hot enough, a half day is about plenty when it's above 90. Stopped at noon today, and at the store the bills in my wallet were stuck together and dripping. Drink water all day and not piss until 4-5PM.

Going riding/camping in WV in the middle of August. Bring it on.

I think it also what you usually live in. Living up in the Canadian border, and heading to the gulf states in August won't be enjoyable. Yet, people living in those states do it all the time.

Also, humidity is a major factor when riding, especially when ATGATT. High humidity prevents the body from cooling itself with perspiration, thus higher internal body heat. This is what heat strokes are made of. Add the insulating factor of gear, and you can really run into danger. Living in C. Florida, mid 90's with relative humidity at 80-95%, I don't ride as much. Less trips, shorter trips, morning or evening time, and lots of water with stops into places w/ A/C. Riding in extreme temps (hot or cold), requires due diligence to stay safe.

So far there has not been a Missouri temp recorded that has kept me off the bike. Couple weeks ago there was a 107 heat index and I pulled a ten hour day in our crappy wool blend uniforms on my black road king with the 103 cubic inch heater boiling my gonads... but I stuck it out. If it gets above 100 actual air temp I might park the work bike and choose the car for the day instead... but I'll still ride the FJR to the office and back.

Prevailing wisdom says I'll be better off in a stich than mesh at anything mid 90's +.

It makes perfect sense sitting in the AC reading about it, but standing out in the sun its a different matter.

I have no plans to park the bike in spite of the temps. I'm just not sure what I'll be wearing ;)

Prevailing wisdom says I'll be better off in a stich than mesh at anything mid 90's +.It makes perfect sense sitting in the AC reading about it, but standing out in the sun its a different matter.

I have no plans to park the bike in spite of the temps. I'm just not sure what I'll be wearing
wink.png
I agree with this because I believe that I dehydrate faster when wearing mesh. So, I always wear my Olympia AST jacket regardless of the temperature. I do open the vents and get some air flow, but not as much as a mesh jacket.

Summer heat?

I'll be wearing my electric vest tomorrow as I leave for the BMW rally in Salem OR. Plan to ride Hwy 1 up from SF and a large marine layer is forecast, probably 50s with low fog and drizzle for the first few hours. Left Coast summer touring. Scares me when I have to turn inland. 95F. Hot. Try to remember to vent my soggy leathers and throw away the E-vest.
smile.png

WWWobble

It's never too hot to ride when ya got one of these:

vesk3.jpg

This is none other than the Veskimo. Check out our research on cooling vests here: CLICKY

Only wish I'da takin' it along on my recent trip out west. DUHHHH.

Here I'm wearing it with my leather vest to keep out the heat and its optional backpack ice/water unit.

vesk16.jpg

BBG3k last year was over 100 from Charleston, WV until past Yuma, AZ.

Recent IBR leg3 was over 100 for most of California to Florida by way of Galveston.

I use stitch and constantly wet inside layer. I also carry 2 gallons of ice and half gallon of Icey Gatorade via Garauld products.

I now live in Mojave Desert during the week so over 100 every day for normal commute.

In something like a stich, overheating will occur very rapidly if you are stationary as you still need hot air flow moving in sleeves, etc. then you need to find beer cooler or add ice inside clothing or bad things happen.

Sure was a relief last week after 113 for hours when it dropped to 102, feels wonderful. I try to drink minimum of half gallon per hour of ice water. Bodies definitely adapt.

In minnesota our season is short. Right now the temps are in the 90's this week. I figure it's better to get the time on the bike because in Jan & Feb I don't want to be wishing I rode more. I wear all the gear, but now only ride to work. Like someone else said the evening fun rides are done for a bit. I think i need some cooler riding gear, my mesh isn't open enough.

Sure was a relief last week after 113 for hours when it dropped to 102, feels wonderful. I try to drink minimum of half gallon per hour of ice water. Bodies definitely adapt.
You know you've been riding in the heat too long when you feel that temp drop and you think "Oh yea, that feels MUCH better" and you look down and your bike is reading 102F. Experienced that myself recently.
biggrin.png

If I look down and the bike tells me the outside temperature I will know I've been riding in the heat too long

(On first gens, ambient temperature is always a mystery)
wink.png

Last edited by a moderator:
When at the WFO in Moscow, it was around 100 and we rode. At one point, a rider on an inferior gen II asked me at a stop If I'd seen that it was 107 coming through that canyon. Another reason to keep my O5, if I don't know It can't hurt me.

Prevailing wisdom says I'll be better off in a stich than mesh at anything mid 90's +.It makes perfect sense sitting in the AC reading about it, but standing out in the sun its a different matter.

I have no plans to park the bike in spite of the temps. I'm just not sure what I'll be wearing
wink.png
I agree with this because I believe that I dehydrate faster when wearing mesh. So, I always wear my Olympia AST jacket regardless of the temperature. I do open the vents and get some air flow, but not as much as a mesh jacket.
I'm with you on this. I rode the bike from Phoenix to Rochester in may wearing my AST 2 the whole way. Desert to Lake, it was just fine. Now, I wear it no matter the weather, and find that with the vents all opened it isn't bad at all. Keeps the sun off, so it doesn't feel too hot.

When do you consider it to be to hot to ride?

https://imgur.com/5chWQss
no html...ubb code.
biggrin.png

5chWQss.jpg

When at the WFO in Moscow, it was around 100 and we rode. At one point, a rider on an inferior gen II asked me at a stop If I'd seen that it was 107 coming through that canyon. Another reason to keep my O5, if I don't know It can't hurt me.
Yea, but he was on a Gen II with better cooling properties, it likely was 170F on your hot Gen I.
biggrin.png

Another day here in NJ with temps near 100 and humidity from hell. I learned a lesson about gear last week when my riding companion went down. It was a very hot day, we both had gear on. We were coming back from a small over night trip, we were uncomfortable. The gear saved him big time as he hit the pavement doing about 50 MPH. So the reason I ask when is it to hot really points to comfort and the use of gear. I want to enjoy my ride and I need to be protected. When the temps sore, we tend to take the jacket off. After my buddies unfortunate get off, I'm choosing comfort and 4 wheels in the extreme heat. Ride safe, stay alive.