Where do you buy your oil change kit from

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mobil 1 10w-40 high mileage oil does NOT have the energy conserving decal. I have run this oil for nearly 77,000 miles in the FJR and ran it for 40,000 miles on my Gen 1 FZ1.

I actually talked to an engineer from Mobil 1 at SEMA in Las Vegas years ago. I ask him if he could tell me the difference in their “motorcycle” 10w-40 oil vs the high mileage “car” 10w-40 oil. He responded, “ I have no comment on that”.

View attachment 3959
I have heard of a number of people using the Mobil 15W50 but not the 10W40. It would be REALLY nice to know if it is essentially identical to the MC version. The "No comment on that" comment is interesting!

Canadian Tire. Whatever motorcycle-specific oil is on-sale at the time. Same for the filter. I never had to change a crush washer and I never had a leak at the drain plug.
MotoMike, what motorcycle-specific oils have you found at CT?

I don’t tend to see too many here….

Our CT usually stocks, Motomaster brand, Mobil1 (4T and V-Twin), Lucas and sometimes Castrol or Amsoil. They don't keep a lot of stock and may not have both synthetic and conventional in the Lucas and Castrol.

I happen to still have 2 empty containers that I have not yet taken to the recycling depot: Castrol Go! Motorcycle oil SAE 10W-40 and Motomaster Motorcycle oil SAE 10W-40. They both say "Motorcycle oil" on the containers. In fact, the Motomaster container has "recommended for Harley Davidson, Honda, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha" on the label.
As RossKean noted, they are not always in stock. I always look when I am in Canadian Tire for whatever reason and pick up 5 litres when they are in stock.
Same with the filters: not always in stock, so I have a look and pick one up when they are in stock.
You can also order oil and filters from FortNine: https://fortnine.ca/en/motorcycle-parts.
I currently have a KN-148 filter, from FortNine, on my 2007. This is the third one that I have used and I haven't had any problem with the filter leaking.

Regarding oil change KITS....Yamaha sells 4 liter kit for 79$. Yet a filter and 4 liter yamalube separately is 70$. NOT paying 9buk for a drain plug washer....revisit your pricing structure, Yamaha!!!!

Well, if you are willing to spend $70 on a $26 oil change then who is going to question $79. ;)

Well, if you are willing to spend $70 on a $26 oil change then who is going to question $79. ;)
What are you getting for 26$??
This is in Canada, so different pricing.
The cheapest oil I can find is 13.99$ and you have to buy 5 because they are 946ml jugs!!!! So 70.45$ at canadian tire for Castrol. The Yamaha jug at 50$ works out to 12.50$ per liter......
Just trying to say that aftermarket is NOT ALWAYS cheaper than dealer.

The cheapest oil I can find is 13.99$ and you have to buy 5 because they are 946ml jugs!!!! So 70.45$ at canadian tire for Castrol. The Yamaha jug at 50$ works out to 12.50$ per liter......

That's interesting; 946 ml is one of our quarts. I'd have assumed you'd buy oil by the liter in Canada. Shows you what I know. I've always got at least a few ounces of oil in various viscosities on the shelf. I buy it by the quart and use it by the liter in both bikes -- 4 of 'em in the Yamaha and 3 in the Kawasaki. It's the same for my car and pickup -- 4.4 qts in the car and 8.5 in the truck. I sometimes long for the days when everything took even quarts. I guess that's what I get for preferring Japanese vehicles. ;)

Here's an interesting tidbit regarding Purolator filters. Both PL14610's. One is the Boss and the other One. You'd think they both use the same casing but different filter elements but no... 1 is concave the other is not.

Attachments

• oil filters.jpg
    oil filters.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Gallon of 15w40 T6 for $19 and a wix oil filter for $7

Gallon of 15w40 T6 for $19 and a wix oil filter for $7
That's a very low price for T6. Our 5W40 T6 runs $60 CDN or so for five litres (1.32 US gal) although it goes on sale for less. The T4 is quite a bit cheaper but I haven't bought it lately.

Here's an interesting tidbit regarding Purolator filters. Both PL14610's. One is the Boss and the other One. You'd think they both use the same casing but different filter elements but no... 1 is concave the other is not.
Interesting. No matter what I buy, I always check. Neither Bosch nor Purolator provided any notification of a design change... I'll look for these Purolator filters next time - price on the Mobil M1-110 keeps going up.

That's a very low price for T6. Our 5W40 T6 runs $60 CDN or so for five litres (1.32 US gal) although it goes on sale for less. The T4 is quite a bit cheaper but I haven't bought it lately.
They sell it at a local lumberyard chain called Menards. Looks like it is $24 today. I buy a couple cases everytime it is on sale. Buy my filters by the dozen on Amazon. https://www.menards.com/main/tools/...-9b9e-41c0-8429-f7501242f219&ipos=1&exp=false
2.5 gallon jugs can be had for $56
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Shell-Ro...Gallon/847530443?wl13=1864&selectedSellerId=0

You both realize that, after conversion, those are the same price. Yes?

:ROFLMAO: (y)

You both realize that, after conversion, those are the same price. Yes?

:ROFLMAO: (y)
Didn't actually do the math other than in my head, but 1.32 gal (5 litres) x 1.35 (exchange) x $24USD/gal = $42.77 CDN. Even bigger difference if you can get it for $19/gal! ($33.86 CDN for 5 L at USD price)
Definitely cheaper compared to what we pay, even when it is on sale here. (Much better if you get a 5 gallon pail.)

Edit: Current price at Canadian Tire is $66.99 CDN
Edit again: I saw a listing for $49.97 at Walmart. Might have to check it out and see if they actually have any...

Last edited:
Interesting. No matter what I buy, I always check. Neither Bosch nor Purolator provided any notification of a design change... I'll look for these Purolator filters next time - price on the Mobil M1-110 keeps going up.
There is a disclaimer somewhere on Purolator's site that says they do not recommend using the PurOne filters on motorcycles. Doesn't say anything about the Boss.

There is a disclaimer somewhere on Purolator's site that says they do not recommend using the PurOne filters on motorcycles. Doesn't say anything about the Boss.
I remember that - just a CYA statement, I'm sure. I just had a look on their site and couldn't find anything other than them recommending their PurolatorSPORT version - but no part number for FJR. The PurOne isn't on their site anymore - renamed Purolator ONE? They show the BOSS (their best filter) and a cheaper one with a red can.
https://www.purolatornow.com/en/products/oil-filters.html