Where the heck do these go? or, left over parts.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Old Guy

FJR Supporter
Reaction score
I hate having parts left over.

I pulled the tank to install new plugs and route a wire back to a Powerlet plug, and these two items were lying loose on the left frame rail. I can't, for the life of me, see where they go.

The washer is a steel washer, 8mm ID.
The spacer is plastic and sort of soft. Same OD as the washer. I'd think an 8mm bolt goes through it and the washer to pad something, but the only 8mm bolt I removed was the long one at the rear of the tank, and there's sure no room for it there.

Help!

IMG_0328_zps985bb60b.jpg

Don't know where they go but the first question on the trouble shooting flow chart is " Did you touch it ?? "
rolleyes.gif

'

I pulled the tank to install new plugs and route a wire back to a Powerlet plug, and these two items were lying loose on the left frame rail. I can't, for the life of me, see where they go. The washer is a steel washer, 8mm ID. The spacer is plastic and sort of soft. Same OD as the washer. I'd think an 8mm bolt goes through it and the washer to pad something, but the only 8mm bolt I removed was the long one at the rear of the tank, and there's sure no room for it there. Help!
Old Guy,

I do not have a 2013, but going by your post, my guess would be that it is one of the two Index 15 parts on this drawing:

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5073286df8700218e05b8879/fuel-tank

This would mean that one or more 8mm bolts have gone astray at some point also, but there you have my guess. HTH.

Cheers,

Infrared

Ah. Now looking at the picture, it could be one of the number 8s as well. I didn't disassemble to that degree, but I could have lost one of those bolts along the way. Thanks. I'll check that tomorrow and report back.

Could that spacer be one of the two grommets, (#39), for the tupperware bit?
Not a grommet. This is a harder piece, a smooth cylinder, though it still has some give to it. The washer is steel. It and the plastic spacer are the same OD, so I'm guessing an 8mm bolt goes through it somewhere. #8 and #15 in the drawing look like the application, though I didn't remove them. I'll check those tomorrow though.

thx ....

Last edited by a moderator:
I pulled the tank to install new plugs and route a wire back to a Powerlet plug, and these two items were lying loose on the left frame rail. I can't, for the life of me, see where they go. The washer is a steel washer, 8mm ID. The spacer is plastic and sort of soft. Same OD as the washer. I'd think an 8mm bolt goes through it and the washer to pad something, but the only 8mm bolt I removed was the long one at the rear of the tank, and there's sure no room for it there. Help!
Old Guy,

I do not have a 2013, but going by your post, my guess would be that it is one of the two Index 15 parts on this drawing:

https://www.yamahapartshouse.com/oemparts/a/yam/5073286df8700218e05b8879/fuel-tank

This would mean that one or more 8mm bolts have gone astray at some point also, but there you have my guess. HTH.

Cheers,

Infrared
Well, all those spacers, #15 and #8, are still in place. I did pull one to see if they're similar, and they're steel, so not like the one I have "left over." I'm stumped. Did anyone see dcarver in the neighborhood yesterday?