Where to find 2006 FJR A (not AE)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ponyfool

Reaction score
Hey! I'm new here. I recently had a house fire that destroyed my 2002 Suzuki Bandit, my garage, and both of my cages. I have narrowed my choices for a replacement bike to an FJR or a Triumph Sprint ST, although the FJR is my heavy favorite.

Two days before the fire, I just completed a 7250 mile tour on the Bandit, and was surprised I wasn't more uncomfortable on it than I was. Both the FJR and Sprint are easily more comfortable than my Bandit, so one being more comfy than the other isn't an issue.

I like the shaft drive, higher HP and more integrated bags (meaning closer in) of the FJR, but also like the $4000 cheaper price of the Sprint. So, in my searches, I have found an 05 FJR for about the same price as the Sprint, but I have heard there were significant changes between 05 and 06, but don't specifically what the changes are and how they affect the rider (not worried about the cosmetic ones).

Finally, without having to call every bike shop in a 500 mile radius, how do I find an 06 FJR A? There are plenty of AE's avail around here, I just don't want a silver bike, and it just doesn't feel right not having a clutch, so I am pretty sold on the A.

Thanks,

Scott

Hey! I'm new here. I recently had a house fire that destroyed my 2002 Suzuki Bandit, my garage, and both of my cages. I have narrowed my choices for a replacement bike to an FJR or a Triumph Sprint ST, although the FJR is my heavy favorite.

Two days before the fire, I just completed a 7250 mile tour on the Bandit, and was surprised I wasn't more uncomfortable on it than I was. Both the FJR and Sprint are easily more comfortable than my Bandit, so one being more comfy than the other isn't an issue.

I like the shaft drive, higher HP and more integrated bags (meaning closer in) of the FJR, but also like the $4000 cheaper price of the Sprint. So, in my searches, I have found an 05 FJR for about the same price as the Sprint, but I have heard there were significant changes between 05 and 06, but don't specifically what the changes are and how they affect the rider (not worried about the cosmetic ones).

Finally, without having to call every bike shop in a 500 mile radius, how do I find an 06 FJR A? There are plenty of AE's avail around here, I just don't want a silver bike, and it just doesn't feel right not having a clutch, so I am pretty sold on the A.

Thanks,

:unsure: OK guys forgive me and chime in on the differences that I will be missing. I have owned both the '05 and now own an '06.

'06 Differences: different shaped front fender, three shims in front forks as opposed to two to decrease "sticksion", different shaped front fairing with vent panels both to the side of the headlights, vent just above headlights to negate negative airpressure behind fairing, different sideview mirrors, adjustable mid-side fairing panels to direct airflow to or away from legs, curved and larger radiator, two radiator fans, windshield adjustment range is greater and located closer to rider, adjustable aim headlight knobs, different instrument cluster with readouts on ambient air temperature, average miles per gallon, instant mpg, gear indicator, 12v outlet, slightly different shaped gas tank (same capacity) exposed frame holes to mount frame sliders without modification needed to side fairings, tank raised 10mm with heatshield underneath hence no heat problems, three way adjustable handlebar, two height adjustment on drivers seat, different shaped and more comfortable drivers and passenger seat, different rack ready mounting to back top tail piece, passenger pegs set further out and forward, saddle bags set in 2" closer to centerline of motorcycle, 1 1/3" longer rear swingarm with slightly stiffer spring, coolant reservoir on left side as opposed to right side, linked ABS brakes, Nissan brake/calipers, 2 heated O2 sensors...I know I missed some other things, but that is what I could think of off the top of my head.

Yamaha took a great bike and made it even better!

:yahoo: :clapping:

Well, that helps for the differences, is it possible to get a new one? Or is my only chance of getting a Cobalt blue one to find a used one?

I didn't think I was a moron, but it looks that way. I spent a good hour on Cycletrader looking before posting and didn't find any within 500 miles.

Thanks!

Yea,

I check OR and got no 06' Yamaha's so I checked WA.

Unlike us here in Kalifornicate :angry2: you guys can go out of state. ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
Call Sunnyside in Yakima WA. The owner Dan Dechel was instrumental is sponsoring WFO5 and getting Yamaha to attend and give test rides on the new bikes. They're supposed to have the lowest prices in the area.

You can also get on Yamaha's web site and do a search on the " dealer locator". It will bring up the nearest 5 or 10 dealers that are close to you.

From the Yahoo FJR Group:

I am selling my two month old fJR as I have decided to stop riding

due

to a recent shoulder injury that will require surgery and 6 months of

rehab. Here are the specifics:

- ABS Standard Model

- Less than 3k highway miles

- Two oil changes (now running Mobile1 mx4t)

- Throttlemeister cruise

- Throttle bodies sync'd and head bearings torqued

- No damage, bike looks like new

- AutoComm Pro7 unit w/headphones, speakers, etc for 2 helmets)

- Ram Mount with radar plate platform

- Motorcyle cover

- Magnetic Tank Bag (Nelson-Riggs)

- XL HJC Symax Modular (black) nearly new

Price: $12000

Phone: 541-990-2029

Ed Kruskamp

.....There are plenty of AE's avail around here, I just don't want a silver bike, and it just doesn't feel right not having a clutch, so I am pretty sold on the A.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott, I live in Corvallis and have been looking for an AE but no dealer has one. What do you mean when you say "There are plenty of AE's available. Where?

Thanks,

Scott

.....There are plenty of AE's avail around here, I just don't want a silver bike, and it just doesn't feel right not having a clutch, so I am pretty sold on the A.

Thanks,

Scott
Scott, I live in Corvallis and have been looking for an AE but no dealer has one. What do you mean when you say "There are plenty of AE's available. Where?

Thanks,

Scott

Check Cycle Trader, I found 2 in Washington tonight.

I sat on an AE at Action Motorsports in Oregon City yesterday. Beaverton Honda/Yamaha has 2 of them in stock right now as well (as of yesterday). I called Pro Caliber in Vancouver, WA and they said they only had the AE in stock (don't know how many). Action Motorsports in Fairview also say they only have the AE (again, don't know how many).

I used to own a 2001 bandit 1200S. The seating position was very roomy. I find that the '06 FJR in the low seat position is too cramped (seat to peg relationship) for my taste as compared to the Bandit. The higher position is much better/closer to the Bandit's seating relationship. I don't know if an earlier version FJR's seating position translates to the '06 high or low position. Just something to consider ...

I used to own a 2001 bandit 1200S. The seating position was very roomy. I find that the '06 FJR in the low seat position is too cramped (seat to peg relationship) for my taste as compared to the Bandit. The higher position is much better/closer to the Bandit's seating relationship. I don't know if an earlier version FJR's seating position translates to the '06 high or low position. Just something to consider ...

I owned a 99 Suzuki Bandit. It was also surprisingly rideable for long distances. The corbin seat helped tremendously. My Bandit was fast too. The mods included Yosimura exhaust, K&N separate air pods. The Bandit with mods is similar in power to the FJR. However, the FJR powerband is so much more smooth and starts much easier with EFI. The additional wind protection is a nice bonus too. I am glad I bought the FJR. It handles great, its easy on gas and easy to do your own routine maintenance. Plus, the websites, like this one, are great resources not to mention a wonderful community of FJR fans.

Blue Thunder

FJR 06A

"head bearings torqued"....What is that?
That would be the steering head bearings. It has been very common for FJRs to be delivered with incorrect bearing torques resulting in triple trees so loose that they click when going over bumps. Even though the torque spec is only 13 lb/ft they are very important lb/ft ;)

head bearings torqued
Is also what happend in the bars at WFO5. Many were over torqued after midnight. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The differences for the rider are basically a lot less heat in the tank, seat and from under the fairing on your lower legs. It was never really a issue for me on my 03, so the 06 isn't that different. (I had a 03 and now have a 06). The suspension is much stiffer on the 06, the spring rates are higher. The bars and seat are adjustable. The windscreen is higher and wider, and it goes up and down different. There is less turbulance behind the fairing, but it is still a motorcycle. ABS is nice, and I like the unified braking.

Whether there is $4,000 difference or not would be up to you.

Tom