Whew! Made It.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saread

Reaction score
N. Cascades Highway was awash with County and State revenue agents last weekend. I managed to get both directions with out donating to the government coffers. Not for lack of trying on their part either. Condolences to the FJR being detained on Washington Pass Monday. I hate to say it, but this is what happens when calamari fuck up. The cause and effect from the Monkey Butt fatality is hard not to notice. Be careful out there, the State is going to go out of their way to see that we behave for awhile.

Thanks for the heads up. I plan on heading to the Columbia River Gorge on Friday for a two day ride on roads not rode often enough. The idea is to stay off the main highways and enjoy a mostly 5+ boogie
hypocritesmiley.png

I doubt I will be on the North Crashcades Hwy again this year. Dang nabbed squid.

Might have been me if you're talking about Monday just west of Liberty Bell. '03 Silver and I was wearing a Yellow/Black jacket. I wasn't getting the ticket though. The guy that I was riding with was trying to catch up and got nabbed. ;)

edit: Maybe the description wasn't needed. Only difference from my profile pic is that I have a silver helmet now and the top case wasn't on. It was a great ride. Mount Vernon to Winthrop and back. We even talked about the chances of police over the pass and I mentioned the thread posted on the forum about the Monkey Butt wreck.

Last edited by a moderator:
saread, you don't happen to wear a Hi-Viz Yellow jacket do you?
Yup. That was me. The WSP pulled a U-ball in front of me to get your partner. Bad luck that, he just got caught at the exact wrong time. You guys weren't really misbehaving; he was doing some sight seeing and was just catching up. He wasn't that far behind and I was kind of surprised he acutally caught any attention. I'm sure he got a good old lecture from WA's finest on the dangers of squidly behavior on Washington's premier highway in addition to his award. Of course, I'm pretty sure the helmet mohawk didn't do a thing for his credibility with the trooper...

Oh, that sucks. The county line is right in that area. If he was caught in Whatcom County, the court appearance would be in Bellingham. The WSP was likely out of Omak and probably wouldn't have written a small time ticket for a court date in Bellingham. But, I think he scoped him just inside of Okanogan County and stopped him in Whatcom County; so no fear of a court date at all if the ticketee is from the west side and gets hit with a minimum ticket when the court is in Okanogan. Just a piece of completely shitty luck.

He wrote the ticket for Skagit County. I'm pretty sure we weren't quite in Skagit at the time but he may have been trying to make it easier considering we're from that side.

You're right, Skagit County it is. Still crummy luck. On Saturday the Whatcom County Mounties wolf packed Newhalem. If that wasn't enough, I got lasered by a WSP biker hiding behind a guardrail somewhere west of Rainy Pass who had a friend in a cage a little further up the road. Then passed a couple more heading into the valley. That's more fuzz than I've seen up there in the last 20 years. I have to say that anyone who gets caught speeding in Newhalem needs a window where their belly button is. There must be a bunch of that going around 'cause the wolves were all busy when I went through.

Some of the road conditions weren't that great either. The chip seal on the eastbound lanes of the big switch back at Liberty Bell were all bled out. It wasn't too bad in the dry, but in the wet it will be a real skating rink. More of the same at various points that would make wet weather riding interesting to say the least. Think giant tar snake. So, if it's wet up there, be careful on those chip seal sections.

Must be the weekends. Went across 20 on Thursday and there was not a single LEO the entire way, until Owhi Lake near Nespelem. Then it was just an unmarked Sheriff checking out reports of a "lost" motorcyclist stopped along side of the road taking weird pictures of pump houses. Didn't see any enforcement again until Metaline Falls, which was CRAWLING with CBP. Only two unmarked and three to hour marked vehicles.

Saread was right about road conditions. Chip seal did feel like it was coming unglued around Liberty Bell. Took it easy through there.

Just a piece of completely shitty luck.
And in no small part thanks to a silly squid. Rotten apples spoiling the entire crop.

Who are you calling a "silly squid" there Fontanaman?
The fellow who died riding his bike a couple of weekends ago. My sympathies to his family and friends of course but the fact remains the fellow was riding at excessive speeds for the conditions/his ability and now it sheds a bad light on all of us who ride.

Last edited by a moderator: