Which is scarier, GenI or GenII unique issues?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is scarier, GenI or GenII unique issues?

• Total voters
I have a Gen 1 and I don't think it has any issues. Yes I have changed my CCT a couple of times but then I also change my filter every oil change. The only thing that stopped me for a while was a broken wire the didn't allow my fan to come on. (Thanks Guys!) :yahoo:

Oh and yes it was hot riding in 92 degree temps on last Monday.

I have a Gen 1 and I don't think it has any issues. Yes I have changed my CCT a couple of times but then I also change my filter every oil change. The only thing that stopped me for a while was a broken wire the didn't allow my fan to come on. (Thanks Guys!) :yahoo:

Oh and yes it was hot riding in 92 degree temps on last Monday.
Ah yes, the sweet smell of coolant filled the air.

You just reminded me somebody gave me an under tank heat blanket at NAFO last year after I whined about baking my giggly bits crossing the desert. I'm planning on a tune up/carb sync this weekend so then would be a good time. Now.. where did I put it...

GenI unique Issues:

CCT

Ticker

Heat

GenII unique Issues:

Ignition recall

Ground Spider
You're list is not complete. But that doesn't really matter as all the 'issues' have been resolved except for two. Sort of.

The only 2 real "issues" I've only read about that have not been addressed by Yamaha are the Gen I Ticker and the Gen II Ground Spider.I would say the ground spider is simpler to resolve than a ticker, but the spider is something your more likely to eventually experience without preventative maintenance (after market harness) than a ticker.
Good comments.

Ok, so how I see it.........

The only issue with a Gen I is the tick. Doesn't happen very often, Yamaha paid for the repair in the past (will they still?), and the biggie? IT WON'T LEAVE YOU STRANDED. You have a long time to get it fixed at your convienance.

They did fix the Gen I ticking issue - when they came out with the Gen II. No more tickers. And though it would really suck, if you do get a ticker you can have the head rebuilt with the new parts and you'll never have to worry about it again.

Gen II has had MANY issues. All have been rectified except for the Ground Spider problem, so that is really the only applicable issue. This one scares me. IT CAN LEAVE YOU STRANDED. (Ask TurboDave about being stuck in the middle of Death Valley. First time he has been stranded on a motorcycle in many years and many bikes.) It could stop your engine while riding down an interstate with traffic everywhere, or in the middle of a corner when leaned over. Scary shit. It IS a safety issue. A ticker is not. Also, you could have a ground spider issue fry your wiring harness, have Yamaha replace it, and have the same thing happen all over again! There is NO official fix.

That's why I voted Gen II.

Thankfully, ground spider is also relatively rare, and you can pre-emptively do things to avoid it. But nobody should have to. Yamaha really screwed the pooch on the Gen II. Too many electrical issues, and the the Japanese are known for their electronics prowess.

As for Radiohowie, well shit, he is the ulitmate scary issue. There's just no comparison.
Hate to agree, but have to. Damn it all. I'm buying a Harley.

You know what's scary? You won't be able to get parts for a GEN 1 in a few years.
"I bought a used 2010 fjr about 8 months ago. After the first month of riding a deer ran out in front of me. I was able to keek the bike upright but bent the fork tubes back. The tubes are bent to much to bend back and yamaha has been on back order."

Might want to rethink that statement.

The Gen I ticker was a deal breaker for me. My Gen II easy fixes...I consider these minor compared to removing the engine for repair, even if Yamaha fixes it.
You know what's scary? You won't be able to get parts for a GEN 1 in a few years.
Gen II has had MANY issues. Yamaha really screwed the pooch on the Gen II. Too many electrical issues...
Hate to agree, but have to. Damn it all. I'm buying a Harley.
(I thought it was a BMW that everyone wanted...? :unsure: )

I had to vote for the Gen I, just to vote against the likes of Scooter and Radio Howie! :p

But as much as it pains me, I have to agree with Scooter that the spider issue is currently the biggest one because of the potential for crashing or getting run over if the bike suddenly dies. But I'm betting that Yamaha will be forced to step up and fix that issue at some point and then there'll be no question that the Gen II is the best FJR ever! :yahoo:

I agree with ticker being maybe more money, but spider being more of a safety concern, should you have trouble from it while out and riding. Engine cutting out, but also loosing your headlights at night doesn't sound like a whole lot of fun. Hate to say it, but I had to vote GenII as well. :(

I'm not gonna offically vote, but I would say the Gen1 ticking would put me off the most. The rest I say is mostly...mostly bullshit. Wiring problems with GenIIs? Gimme a break.

I got my first recall notice about having the ECU replaced due to altitude sickness a couple months after getting the bike. I live at 5000 feet and ride to 10,000 feet all the time. Never noticed a problem, but whatever...Recall done.

Then I got a recall notice about my ignition switch. Never had a problem with that either, but it was done too.

Now, its spiders...ooooooooooooooooooh. I'm so scared. My bike might die while riding down the road at 80mph and it'll suddenly stop and I'll get killed. Exactly...If I'm too Goddammed stupid to pull in the clutch and get the Hell out of the road. Ooooh, but it might happen in a corner. Shit, then the bike will continue rolling through the corner without acceleration...Then I wonder what I'll do. Oh, I know. I'll pull in the clutch and coast to the side of the road. All without dying. Kind of like the Prius death acceleration recall. Good God.

I know, I know...The spiders are genuine issues and real people are having them all the time. Thing is, I had my tank up the other day and inspected my spiders. Know what I found? Clean connections everywhere. I donno, but I wonder why some people have all the problems and some don't.

I also would like to see how many people with spider problems have tons of extra, mostly unnecessary shit wired into their electrical systems. I also wonder how many of the people that do have all that stuff wired into their systems actually knew what they were doing when they wired them. I'm thinking spider issues may be self induced by adding tons of extra lights, heated gear, communication systems, GPS systems and whatever else can be tax the system.

I would be afraid of a ticker just because of the cost. The rest of it??? I don't give a rat's ass. Unless the bike actually blows up or some crazy shit, none of it is gonna cause me to die. Unless I get a spider bite in Death Valley in the middle of a 130 degree heat wave and I don't have any shelter or water...Or a Spot. Dummies.

Nuthin scares me...

This is a dumbass thread....

Here's a purty girl....

V320336.jpg