Which is scarier, GenI or GenII unique issues?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Which is scarier, GenI or GenII unique issues?

• Total voters
They are connection points around the bike, for earth grounding. Small black connectors with multiple wires connected together on the terminal. Some owners have experienced poor connections at one or more of these points, creating weird symptoms of various types. Do a search at the hysteria about ground spider problems
Thank you.

Had a gen 1 ticker and traded up for a gen 2 and theres no comparison... 45k on gen 1, 2k on gen 2 and im in love... So far.....

I have an ex-ticker. It didn't leave me dead in the water like the spider issue... nor did it cost me anything to be fixed. It was on Yammy's dime. As a matter of fact, I drove the bike about 25,000 miles past the known ticking. That pup is hot, though, without doubt.

I've heard of a few gen 2's being left dead in the water with the spider thing. I really think that Yamaha should step up on this. Seems to be a major safety issue. Actually, there were folks that had just checked those spider connections & were reported to look good... & then the bike doesn't start or dies unexpectedly? Is that better than a ticker? Educated guess says uhhh... no.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have an ex-ticker. It didn't leave me dead in the water like the spider issue... nor did it cost me anything to be fixed. It was on Yammy's dime. As a matter of fact, I drove the bike about 25,000 miles past the known ticking. That pup is hot, though, without doubt.

I've heard of a few gen 2's being left dead in the water with the spider thing. I really think that Yamaha should step up on this. Seems to be a major safety issue. Actually, there were folks that had just checked those spider connections & were reported to look good... & then the bike doesn't start or dies unexpectedly? Is that better than a ticker? Educated guess says uhhh... no.
Careful...some Gen II Jackass will mark you and your post down for actually pointing out the truth. :p

As I have a GEN 1 of course I would say GEN 1 . Spider bit is fixable and should be a recall as it's a safety issue , given a bit of time I am sure Yamaha will do so .If I had a GEN 2 I would fix it NOW cause for a few dollars it may save MY LIFE . All bikes have some form of weakness / problem . If I know about it I make sure it's fixed so it dose not let me down .After all on some of the outback roads down under you do not want to break down cause no phone signal and maybe aday or three before some comes your way in the heat .

I've owned both a Gen I and a Gen II; neither bike has had any of the "problems" here...I have found I like the little improvements to to the Gen II enough that I would have no issue (other than cost!) buying another Gen II should that need ever arise (but then again, I have a Super Ten on order, so it may replace the FJR entirely...).

That being said though, I wouldn't mind getting my hands on a Gen I for a little project I've been stewing over for a few years, would have to be really cheap though!

Havent had any real problems on my 09.. knock on wood...

But with the Spider issue, I dont understand why the Fed and Yamamama wont get off their azz and take care of it...

I know they do lurk on any website that pertains to any Yami product (so told to me by a friend who works for Yamaha) so we just need to keep up the pressure and maybe a few hundred letters to senators might even help

neither gen 1 nor gen 2's issues are scarier than the other. i couldn't vote. the only scary issues are the ones not yet diagnosed.

Let’s see.... My highly scientific and very expensive thread was again derailed by malcontents and the like. So let me try to save this before it gets shut down for political reasons.
There are some admin discussions on-going about this issue. Not about this thread specifically but hijacking in general. Expect to see advisories as hijacks become apparent. Remember that this isn't Facebook or Twitter. Even ST.N eventually deleted several of it's longest threads as unwanted.

Help us keep this forum the best FJR resource out there. Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
To answer that question from what I have READ it sounds like the Gen 2 issues sound SCARIERRRRR. To have your bike engine just quite, not good. I will not say that I have had 0 issues with my 05 "even though that is true" because if I do I will.

Just reported in another thread. Forum member's 06 is spider bit:

The thing that really sucks is that the bike left me in Chicken, Alaska last week.I am having to have it shipped home ($1700).

It will not arrive for another 3 weeks or so - really bites!
That just plain sucks. Gen I issues are not going to do that. I would be PISSED.

Thanks goodness there is relief on the horizon for you poor Gen II bastards.

Just reported in another thread. Forum member's 06 is spider bit:

The thing that really sucks is that the bike left me in Chicken, Alaska last week.I am having to have it shipped home ($1700).

It will not arrive for another 3 weeks or so - really bites!
That just plain sucks. Gen I issues are not going to do that. I would be PISSED.

Thanks goodness there is relief on the horizon for you poor Gen II bastards.
Well all of the recognized "poor Gen II bastards".

Seems Jimmy Swagert placed his hand on the assembly line and healed all of us Red Headed Step Children on 10's and 11's!!!!!!!!!!!

I just checked in on this thread for the first time in a long time. I'm surprised by the results thus far. I mean really, really surprised.

This is all too scary for me...

1. I'm getting a BMW because they are the great machine for the uber rider
  2. I'm getting a Honda ST1300 because they don't put out the heat
  3. I'm getting a Ducati sportstourer because of their vast dealer network
  4. I'm getting a Kawi C14 because I love wrenching on bikes with small gas tanks
  5. I'm getting an HD, because they are all about sportstouring

...nah.

I guess I'm not that scared. ;)