Who has a Corbin seat?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steveoreno

Reaction score
The g/f and I think a seat upgrade is needed for my 2013 and after doing some looking I like the corbin and all of it's options the best but I am vertically challenged so seeing they took the adjustable portion of the seat out of the equation makes me a little reticent to plop down the cash. I am 5ft 8 inches with a 30" inseam, is this seat a good investment or am I going to have to be tweaking it?

Thanks guys, girls

My bike came with a Corbin and I also had one on one of my KLR's and on one of my Bandits. I will tell you that I loved the Corbin on both the prior bikes but am considering something else for this bike. It's a VERY firm seat and although I have enjoyed it on medium to short road trips, longer trips are no bueno.

Best you like a very firm seat if you're going with Corbin.

That being said, I love my Corbin, as for distance it's been coast to coast and border to border, more than once, got 100,000 + mile on it.

Standard seat height on the Corbin will be a little lower than the standard FJR seat in low position. I'm also a 30" inseam.

The g/f and I think a seat upgrade is needed for my 2013 and after doing some looking I like the corbin and all of it's options the best but I am vertically challenged so seeing they took the adjustable portion of the seat out of the equation makes me a little reticent to plop down the cash. I am 5ft 8 inches with a 30" inseam, is this seat a good investment or am I going to have to be tweaking it?
Thanks guys, girls
I'm 5'9", 30" inseam. I bought a Corbin earlier this year for my 2011 Gen II. Happy with it so far, but haven't really ridden on it much yet.

It's lower but feels a bit wider than stock, so your legs are pushed out to the sides a bit more (if you have meaty thighs like me) and don't go quite as straight down, so as a result you may not benefit much from it from the height perspective...

Just get the g/f to sit on the back all the time and your reach will be fine. :)

I am the same as the OP, 5' 8" and 30" inseam, and a svelte 200'ish lbs.

I purchased a well used Corbin from a forum member over the winter. It is hard as a rock and I love it!

I thought the 'firmness' would be a problem, for me, it isn't. It gives the same support after hours of riding as it did at the beginning.

I tried a friend's Russell as a comparison. A very nice, comfy seat - but not for me. It feels like it should be on a horse.
smile.png

Al.

I have a Corbin on my 2004 and I do love it! Like the others say it is a bit firm but I find it super comfortable. It does also spread you out a tad but I am 5' 09" and can still almost flat foot. I don't think you would regret it at all!

Thanks, everyone I appreciate the quick response. I think the problem with the stock seat is "hot spots" causing lots of chafing etc on longer rides. We are not seeking a sofa like ride just one where we are not sliding about into each other and the tank so the corbin may be the best answer for me. I also like having the stock seat as a backup not to mention the many options available.

As another vertically challenged rider I rode into Corbin's and had them make me a seat to my liking. I choose a Corbin because it allows me to ride forward against the tank. Corbin seats are firm but have always found it comfortable. I have put more than 50000 touring miles on mine and love it.

If you can I recommend riding into the factory to have it done. Service was excellent which I understand is not always the case when ordering online.

Great excuse for a long ride to California!

First thing I changed on the bike when I got it was to switch to the Corbin. 29" inseam and the seat helped being lower although if you get the heated version you won't get the full reduction. Long trips no problem even my wife doesn't complain anymore. Just my two cents.
rolleyes.gif

i recently purchased a FJR that had a Corbin Seat. I'm 5'8" w 29" inseam. I am also 68 yrs old. I have no trouble handling the bike. I bought the bike in the Atlanta area and rode it home (about 200 miles). I actually found it to be more comfortable than the stock Gold Wing seat that I ride. I am really looking now at putting a different seat on the wing.

Also 5'9", 30". Ordered a Corbin. They advised building it with the free "nose job" which keeps it narrower between the thighs at front of seat, thereby taking advantage of lower seat height. It's about 3/4" lower than stock low position and DOES better allow me to flat foot the bike with confidence. Search for my posts where I included pics of stock versus Corbin and measurements from the ground....

5' 7", 150 lbs & 68 yrs. old. The Corbin put me lower to the ground, and was much more comfy than the stocker, but a year later I moved on to a Rich Meyer, and love it.

I have the heated version! Don't need it often but is nice to have on occasion? I have the original seat which has never been ridden on, which I will probably bury with the bike when it dies. I'll keep the Corbin for my rocking chair, nostalgia!

I have a love hate relationship with my corbin seat. It is a great seat but after 8 - 10 hours (with short stops) my butt knows I've been riding. Also at times the site where my legs meet my hips hurt sometimes too. I am looking at a Russell set or a "Rick's" seat out of Washington - near Seattle.

I've had at least 5 corbin seats throughout 30 years. I think the corbins are better than stock. After 4 or 5 hours, I want something softer. I will buy the Sargeant seat next because they are softer than corbins.

I love my Corbin. 5'7" with 29" inseam. Seat height is perfect for me. I have about 60K on this seat with no complaints. 7500 miles in 14 days of riding for the NAFO trip last year with no ass discomfort is proof enough for me. The pillion is not as firm as the rider saddle, though.

They are definitely a love/hate seat. I had two, one on the FJR & one on a a Gold Wing....couldn't wait to get rid of them.

I love my Corbin. 5'7" with 29" inseam. Seat height is perfect for me. I have about 60K on this seat with no complaints. 7500 miles in 14 days of riding for the NAFO trip last year with no ass discomfort is proof enough for me. The pillion is not as firm as the rider saddle, though.
That's an expensive seat(60K)I'd complain. Just kidding