Who has gone camping on an FJR?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
one question what kind of top box are you running? and how is it latched onto the bike? Just as I thought, the FJR can be a good 1up camping bike.
My top box is just a pelican case attached to a "Garauld" luggage rack. Forum member Garauld makes an excellent luggage rack as well as other bits for the fjr.

I only keep light stuff in the pelican that I want to be able to lock up. You don't want to carry a bunch of weight on the rear sub frame there have been a couple that have cracked.

Here is a link to a thread discussing what can happen. crack
I looked at all those links with the sub frame cracked......ugh, that's ugly. I used to stack stuff sky high on my tour pack on my Ultra, go two up, and never had a problem with it, guess I need to worry more with weight distribution.

For me, soft luggage is a lot more conforming to the items that I need to pack for a week out. Don't ride a whole lot in the wet however.

PTDC0005.jpg

Found these Chase Harper Touring bags work well, but I did need to create some deflectors to keep them from sagging into the rear wheel. worked off of the rubber covered hard bag pegs, that do the same thing with the stock luggage.

I've done quite a bit of camping on mine I think it is an excellent platform for motocamping.

Like any camping on a bike you need to make the most of available space.

The best part is the fjr hauls butt even fully loaded.

If you are interested here are two ride reports from a couple trips I did on mine.

The Lost Coast

The Wind
Excellent ride reports Canyonman, one question what kind of top box are you running? and how is it latched onto the bike? Just as I thought, the FJR can be a good 1up camping bike.

I have only owned my fjr for one summer and camped about 4 times. it works great. I was looking at canyonman's photo's and he has bage in front of the side bags. what king of bags are they and where can I get some.

don

Here's my soon to be previous '05 just before heading out for Cape Breton Nova Scotia this June. Unfortunately we had wet weather most of the week and only camped twice. I've been camping most of my 60 years, but the rain was just too much.

Unlike Khunajawdge, we often ride in the rain!

IMGP1629.jpg

Most of it's been said already, so I'll just put in a couple small points. One, I'm ALWAYS amazed how much "stuff" the FJR holds. Just looking at the giant pile I have to load on is intimidating, but it takes it all. The worst part of packing for a long trip where you'll be camping is all the stuff you have to bring that you hope you won't even need, but you'd better have. Things like rain gear, plenty of layers for cold, cooling vest for heat, all your first aid gear, tools, tire repair stuff, etc. I always have a warm pair and a summer pair of gloves, too, plus a pair of cheap rubber glove covers from the Aerostich catalog for riding in heavy rain.

I do bring a tiny backpacking stove and small pot so I can make coffee in camp in the morning (plus a travel cup and a baggie with coffee, filters, creamer, sugar, and a spoon). Folks have commented about bringing too much. Too many clothes is a problem, especially cotton t-shirts and jeans. VERY bulky. I wear a lightweight pair of "travel" type pants under my Motoport pants, and bring a light base layer as a reserve. Same with shirts, one or two base layers and less bulky T's, and not many of them. I really love "travel" undershorts and socks, too, that you can find online. The stuff that will easily dry overnight if you give it a hand wash and hang. You can literally do with two pairs of each--easily--no matter how long you're gone. I also bought a package of "Purex Complete 3-in-1 Laundry Sheets" that are made to throw into a washing machine with a load--each dry sheet has soap and fabric softener impregnated in it. Saves a fortune at coin laundries if you use one, but I also cut a couple of them into about three strips, which is plenty for the hand washing I mentioned. I carry them in a Ziplock Baggie and they take up no space. Don't forget shoes, unless you love hiking in riding boots. I bring a pair of Teva sandals; they're comfortable and take up very little packing space.

I have a waterproof duffel strapped to the back seat with Rok Straps (NOT bungees!!) with all my camp gear. I always carry two or three freeze dried bagged meals from REI as "emergency" meals. I don't try to cook meals when I'm motorcycle camping. These things are very tasty and serve when it would be too inconvenient to stop for a meal somewhere, but it's just easier, less bulk, and faster to eat out. I also don't like having food on the bike if there are critters around, whether they're raccoons, skunks, or bears. A bear can get into a locked car as easily as you can pop a can of Bud. I'm pretty sure it wouldn't have much problem with an FJR side case. By the way, I carry a can of bear spray. Useful for bears, useful for feeling nice and secure in lots of situations. I don't want to mess with--or worry about--transporting a handgun. Not in the states I ride in.

Then there's hydration. I finally found the best way to handle that, for me. I have a "Camelbak" style backpack that I use, but it's very uncomfortable to wear when it's hot, and worse when I have the duffel behind me on a trip. I replaced the drinking hose with a longer one and strap it down kind of behind and over the duffel. Then I can reach back and drink while riding with the long hose. It probably helps that I have a modular helmet to get the mouthpiece in easier. Finally, I recently discovered "5-Hour Energy." (OK, somebody else actually discovered it, but I tried it and liked it.) I bought a case of it at Costco and bring a few on long trips. Some of those afternoons when the road is getting a little hypnotic, and especially if you're good and sick of coffee at that point, I really like the refreshing pomegranite flavor and it really seems to give me a good boost. Another recommendation. Anyway, have fun. I LOVE camping on the FJR!

(p.s., I'll ride in the rain, but forget camping in the rain. That's motel time.)

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I have is that after I pack the tent, cot, sleeping bag, bed roll, change of clothes, extra riding gear for the change of weather,I don't have room for keeping the beer on ice. :angry2:

The subject has been covered pretty well. I bought my FJR for camping and have done several overnighters and week long trips. I carry alot because I like to be comfortable while riding and able to change for hot to cold weather and dry to wet.

I got it down to a science. Once I get a sucessful packing arrangement I use it every time and can pack the bike quickly. Don't put anything you might need while on the road in the left sidebag. Why? Because the right side bag is so much easier to access when on sidestand. I too use a waterproof bag on the rear seat to carry my sleeping bag. Makes for a nice back rest too. I have a Givi 45 liter trunk that is loaded with lightweight stuff and things I might need while on the road. Then the good old tank bag is full of little items that are essential such as a water bottle, medications, gun etc. The tank bag is great for resting your arms on and I used it to set my elbow on and use my hand to support my head and helmet giving my neck a rest. I carry a coleman camp stove and one pot for cooking. For beer I have a fold up cooler that holds a 12 pack...usually gets me thru the night...LOL :rolleyes: Bill

GOPR1656.jpg
Here is my most recent pic of my set-up. Since this pic was taken I've added a chair, Noahs tarp, and Black Diamond lantern.

This is from a trip to Barber for the AMA weekend in 2008. My current tent is smaller than this one, but otherwise I was packed about the same for my Sebring trip this year.

DSC03339.jpg

This is "home" at Sebring. Packed about the same as the AMA trip; Camera bag in the left sidecase (dSLR, video camera, 2 lenses for SLR, flash, batteries, chargers, tapes;) rain gear, a towel, some t-shirts and a pair of shoes in the right side; another towel, couple pairs of pants, my laptop in the top case, with socks and hats used as packing; more shirts and socks, flip-flops and air mattress in the tank bag, along with phone charger. Tent, folding chair, and sleeping bag bungied to the pillion seat.

DSC_8176.jpg

Here's how Duke & I rolled to the Grand canyon a few weeks ago. Not the most comact gear note the 5pd bag of light the bag charcoal

6245403192_19cb9e7270_z.jpg

Note: if ravens are around (pretty much everyware in the southwest)don't leave a soft cooler partially open :angry2:

6245403326_2bce9e3baa_z.jpg

I have only owned my fjr for one summer and camped about 4 times. it works great. I was looking at canyonman's photo's and he has bage in front of the side bags. what king of bags are they and where can I get some.

don
Hey don those are helen twowheels seat panniers. Unfortunately I don't think they are available anymore which sucks cause they work great.

Since this pic was taken I've added a chair, Noahs tarp, and Black Diamond lantern.
Those Black Diamond LED Lanterns are FANTASTIC.

My entire camp kit fits entirely in a medium sized duffle on my passenger seat. I picked up a down filled ExPed air mattress this past summer that I haven't had a chance to use yet. Packs WAY smaller than my Therma-rest.

BTW, got a chuckle at the roll of TP in the baggie. I've got that that lives in my tank bag.

don
Hey don those are helen twowheels seat panniers. Unfortunately I don't think they are available anymore which sucks cause they work great.
If I recall, Aerostich has some tank pannier bags that can work like that. Someone here uses them for a hydration system (bags supported by pillion footpegs).

https://www.aerostich.com/packing-it-in/seat-bags-and-tail-bags/saddlebags/aerostich-tank-panniers.html

Mark, I haven't seen anything like that since I watched The Grapes of Wrath on the Late Show. :eek:

We would make a dust bowl Okie proud! :lol:

Those Black Diamond LED Lanterns are FANTASTIC.

BTW, got a chuckle at the roll of TP in the baggie. I've got that that lives in my tank bag.

Yeah, the mid-sized Apollo seems just right, plenty of light to do just about anything, and it uses AA's which makes it easy cuz I use rechargables, and only have to carry 1 size for the camera, headlight, and radio. Thats basically the same setup if I go for 3 days or 30 days, although I'm always tweaking it just a bit whenever I get some awesome piece of gear. I'll tell ya, that roll of t.p. comes in handy more than you think, kinda like an insurance policy, if ya know what I'm sayin' ;)