Who let the smoke out? KrZy8

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dcarver

Reaction score

20201-07-28 KrZy8 Ignition Harness Meltdown

At first startup for a Wednesday Barries Boyz ride, thought I smelt an electrical short.
Then, a small whiff of smoke from under tank, RHS.

Since I had just plugged my new iPhone 12 into the GPS harness, first time, was
hoping it was that and rode away.

Had a nice breakfast then rode to get gas.

At gas station, more smoke.

Decided to ride KrZy8 home.. but as I passed by Vons, decided I'd rather be broke down with
food, bathroom, and a nice green lawn instead of on the shoulder of hwy 41.

Used AAA phone app, they actually came throgh this time.

Got home, lifted tank, found this. It's an aftermarket relay from my bud Brodie, Ersatz Electronics.
Apparently the connectors I used were not capable of handling current.

These wires essentially conduct via relay contacts, so melting together isn't the issue.
But when the bare wire contacted a ground, Lucas let the smoke out..

After years of heat cycles, the insulation had pulled back on the connector interfacing OEM harness.

The entire relay assembly and wiring harness.

Serial number 1!

Relay part number.

And tab arrangement.

All cleaned up. Removed wires from connector, used heat shrink to insulate exposed wires.
Used waterproof crimped connectors with electrical tape overlay.

Less than 3k miles to remain to reach 250,000! 

Don't give up DC...only a few more miles to go! 😉

~G
You're the one who told me years ago to sell it because 'Someday it's gonna let you down'! :rofl:

So outside of a flat tire, new RR, and wire refresh (never should have used those connectors, lesson learned) the old gurl is running GREAT with Ivan's ECU, matched FI's, and new PR5's. 

You're the one who told me years ago to sell it because 'Someday it's gonna let you down'! :rofl:

So outside of a flat tire, new RR, and wire refresh (never should have used those connectors, lesson learned) the old gurl is running GREAT with Ivan's ECU, matched FI's, and new PR5's. 

Dude!  You do realize you just jinxed yourself and your poor krzy8 don't you?  Frickin idiot.   :tease:

Don,

How’s the ignition switch holding up? Is it a 5 wire recall switch, or the original 4 wire design?

It should still be good because it only has the milliamp load from the relay; though I am surprised about the wire jacketing (12GA GXL wire SAE J1128 cross link 125C) shrinking back from the connector, exposing the wire strands – it’s on the ignition switch side of the device.

image.jpg

Apparently the crimp on connectors on the bike side of the device failed causing the overheating. Any chance there was some dielectric grease in them, or were they dry? The reason I like to use dielectric grease is to keep the connector surfaces isolated from the environment, thereby keeping any corrosion from building up and causing resistance. 

I’m glad it happened close to home.

Brodie

🙂

Don,

How’s the ignition switch holding up? Is it a 5 wire recall switch, or the original 4 wire design?

It should still be good because it only has the milliamp load from the relay; though I am surprised about the wire jacketing (12GA GXL wire SAE J1128 cross link 125C) shrinking back from the connector, exposing the wire strands – it’s on the ignition switch side of the device.

View attachment 263

Apparently the crimp on connectors on the bike side of the device failed causing the overheating. Any chance there was some dielectric grease in them, or were they dry? The reason I like to use dielectric grease is to keep the connector surfaces isolated from the environment, thereby keeping any corrosion from building up and causing resistance. 

I’m glad it happened close to home.

Brodie

🙂
5 wire recall switch, it's still good, smooth operation, no intermittent connections. Insulation shrinkage? I blame numerous heat cycles over the years. Other wires too have shown insulation shrinkology, even OEM. So it's not the first I've seen. Maybe the copper is getting longer? <:)> 

Those connectors were from Ace hardware. They appear to be solid but I've had trouble w other connections using the same product. No longer using them for anything but low power applications. 

Yes on dielectric grease. But even D grease gets hot, melts out, over time. Been using D-Oxit lately, it's good stuff, bonds at molecular level. It doesn't however, keep water out. I use a combination of both these days. 

Kinda ironic, last time tank was off thought "I should look at those connectors" followed by "Screw it, I'm tired and cranky, my back hurts, I'll do it next time." 😆