Who rides a Super Tenere

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NMRoadRunner

A Bulls work is never done!
Reaction score
Been thing about getting one of these and was wondering who has one, what do you think after riding it for a while, would you do it again, or go with something else. How is it off road? Big and heavy, or not so bad?

I'm looking for recent comments after they've been riding em for a year. the link posted was from last october with some additions. I want recent thoughts of them, any regrets. B)

Last edited by a moderator:
I did a 55 minute test ride on a Tenere a few weeks back. It made my shortlist! Good bike!

Been thing about getting one of these and was wondering who has one, what do you think after riding it for a while, would you do it again, or go with something else. How is it off road? Big and heavy, or not so bad?

Have had mine for a year now. Kept the FJR as well. Very different rides but if I could only keep one it would be the Tenere as it fits my 6'1" frame really well. I can stretch my legs out on it better. Have done 660 + miles in a single day on each machine and the Tenere was more comfortable again because of leg room. It also opened up the kind of roads I would not take the FJR on so that is a new adventure for me.

Not ready to give up the FJR yet as it has it's own rush the Tenere can not match.

Hope this helps

Scoop

I'm looking for recent comments after they've been riding em for a year. the link posted was from last october with some additions. I want recent thoughts of them, any regrets. B)
Hey Bud, pm forum member OCFJR, he has one with a bunch of miles and farkles plus he is in St. George. I'll bet he knows the S10 as good as anyone.

I rode the bike and really liked it overall, but with a 30'' inseam it was simply too tall for me. Every stop was a more stressful than I wanted it to be as I needed to constantly plan ahead of where to put my feet as I could only put on foot down at a stop.

Have had mine for a year now. Kept the FJR as well. Very different rides but if I could only keep one it would be the Tenere as it fits my 6'1" frame really well. I can stretch my legs out on it better. Have done 660 + miles in a single day on each machine and the Tenere was more comfortable again because of leg room. It also opened up the kind of roads I would not take the FJR on so that is a new adventure for me.

Not ready to give up the FJR yet as it has it's own rush the Tenere can not match.

Hope this helps

Scoop
+1000

I am 5'9", with a 30" inseam. The only issue I had was the stock windshield caused a lot of buffeting. My solution was to use a CalSci shorty windscreen, with the bottom spaced out to change the angle and get more clear air around my helmet. I also run the seat in the high position on road to help with the airflow, and move it to the low position when venturing off pavement. I would buy another Tenere in a heartbeat, and I know I'm not alone in that opinion.

I have not ridden one but I spent about 1/2 an hour sitting on one at the dealership last week. The salesman was an FJR pilot as well and was very knowledgable and helpful. I found it extremely interesting that he said every single person who came in to look at the Tenere already had a Sport Touring motorcycle, usually an FJR. He said that of the few he has sold, they were all to FJR owners. And none had traded in the FJR...

I have not ridden one but I spent about 1/2 an hour sitting on one at the dealership last week. The salesman was an FJR pilot as well and was very knowledgable and helpful. I found it extremely interesting that he said every single person who came in to look at the Tenere already had a Sport Touring motorcycle, usually an FJR. He said that of the few he has sold, they were all to FJR owners. And none had traded in the FJR...
I test rode one at GN Gonzales 2 weeks ago. I was not very impressed. If was to go with a Tenere type of bike, I find the KTM Adventure 990 to be a better handling, lighter, more powerful and comfortable bike. I love the looks of the Super Tenere, but was definitely let down by the way it felt. YMMV.

Thanks for the input, looked at them again and the local dealers are very proud of the ones that have been sitting there for a while. I have a lighter dual sport, but am looking for a long tripper as well.

I've put 23,000 miles on my Super-T over the last year and gotten back on a couple of FJRs during ride trades. What floors me are the number of folks who trash the Super-T or any other bike when they haven't set it up for themselves. I had one person over the weekend tell me how the rubber in the footpegs will fall out and then your boots will get chewed up. He'd read it on the Intertubes somewhere...

:glare:

I got asked more than once at NERDS and by other FJR owners if I could have one bike, FJR or Super Tenere, which it would be. The Tenere staying in my garage is the answer. I did have a 2004 and 2007 FJR and like the model a LOT. Further, there is NO way that I would have bought the Super Tenere if it were set up like the one new demo that I rode a year ago at one dealer. Fortunately I'd already ridden them in both the US and Europe.

There are few FJRs left totally stock, and the same is happening with the S10. Since there are so many S10 owners from the FJR group (& BMW GS converts in both), let me throw out a short list of what the Tenere owners are finding. All of these are heavily discussed at https://www.yamahasupertenere.com

1. Miles. The Super Tenere is stiff and awkward till it gets more than about 1,000 miles and then suddenly isn't such a frigid beast. It's almost like a light switch flips.

2. Seat. It's pitched too far forward, making the bike DAMNED uncomfortable out of the box for most people. Fortunately, it can be flattened for about $2 in rubber bumpers from Home Depot. https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=2306.0 At that point, me & most folks live OK with the stock seat, but the touring oriented owners tend to get it customized. Just like the FJR.

3. Windshield. Again, just like the FJR, virtually nobody keeps the windshield stock. Out of necessity this summer when some road debris broke my custom shield, I did a lot of miles with my stocker. I got beat up by cross-winds crossing the Great Plains and it's been heaven since replacing it with a Parabellum. Whether adding a MadStad bracket or going with a big touring shield, the windshield is one of the first changes to anticipate unless you are using this as a big dirt bike.

4A. Off-idle stumble. The US bikes are adjusted lean by the factory to get past the EPA certification. I've ridden a couple of non-US bikes and those owners do the blank stare when you ask about why they don't have the same thing. Fortunately, the two-part answer for the US bikes is amazingly simple. First, the CO setting needs to be changed. https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1974.msg63366#msg63366

4B. Second step to cure the EPA stumble, follow the forum guidance (https://www.yamahasupertenere.com/index.php?topic=1973.msg33495#msg33495) on how to adjust the throttle bodies, preferably after the bike loosens up. The stumble will magically disappear. btw, For the cheap folks who understand, the throttle body sync on the twin is truly as easy as on the old twins of yore and just like with those you can skip using a manometer with 20 ft of clear tubing, some T-barbs and caps, and a little antifreeze.

27943652.jpg

5. The missing 15 hp. The bike is about 5-10 hp down on the BMW GS and doesn't have the mid-range torque peak that makes the GS seem to have more "oomph." It's also interesting how riders of stock Teneres don't think the engine is remarkable till they realize that they are keeping up quite well with folks on "faster" bikes. The Tenere is NOT a GS and performs best when allowed to spin up and use the traction control.

To get an extra 15 hp in gears 1-3, simply use a small piece of wire to short the connector at the clutch safety switch on the left handle bar. All it does is run an unrestricted map that is already in the ECU and meant for starting. To make this a permanent mod, add an on/off switch, so the bike retains different engine maps for Touring (useful in rain & 2-up), Sport, and now you've added a Open ECU mode (clutch switch shorted).

6. Tires. The Heidenau K60 tire seems to have been made for the Super Tenere, even though the size is in common with the VStrom and BMW GS. I'm about 2/3 through my tread at 13,000 miles and a fellow near me changed his K60 set at 24,000 miles. Owners are running them fast on sport bike roads, where the traction control can overcome an overzealous wrist, and yesterday we were 2-up on steep twisty gravel tracks that would have stopped me with the stock Battle wings. The tires took us right up, with the traction control light coming on & off the whole way.

7. Engine guards. If you see any chance of using the bike off of pavement, the stock engine protection is totally inadequate. Get side bars and a skid plate.

8. Finally, will the big girl go off road? Here's a video for you to decide:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ov9lRBUgDY

The summary is that it can do more than most of us can, but I sure won't choose it or any heavy bike to take the place of a WR250.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is an excellent write up. Every motorcycle is a compromise and we don't always pick the one that is really closest to what we need. If I had the $ to add another bike to the garage, it would be this one. Since I don't have the money for another bike AND a divorce lawyer, I will stick with what I have. For now.

Forgot to add that for all those who have been polluted to thinking adventure bikes need a beak, there is one available for the Tenere.

DuckBeak.jpg

Most owners have a pretty negative view of spending the cash. Especially to look like a lowly Beemer. [j/k]

Seriously, the reason the bike looks like something is missing is because the factory put mounting points under the headlights for owners to put what they want. Such as aux lights!

st9.jpg

My .02:

Got back from my 11.8K, 22 day trip up to YT, BC, AK and some western states on July 2. The Super T. never missed a beat. I found myself on some roads that I would have hesitated to ride with my FJR. I'd leave tomorrow for a similar trip with no hesitations knowing what I put the bike through.

Since then, it IS still really nice to get back on the FJR ('05) for commuting so I suppose I'm really lucky that I don't have to choose one.

Here's a link to the small ride report I did over on the Super T forum: Super T ride report and the pics here: My AK trip pics

ak_sign.jpg