Who says all cops are bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cejay

Reaction score
Well it's Sunday again and time to saddle up for a run out to lunch, "Where d'ya wanna go dear?" "Dunno, you choose" "Ok, howz about Swan Reach for lunch at the pub overlookin' the river" "yeah choice I'll get me gear on"

Yep it started out like any other Sunday lunch, bike has been polished to within in a thou of its steel flesh and the weather is brilliant as we leave home for the servo. Temp is a mild 20 and the wind is coming from the south as if it really needs to be in Darwin now!

Fuelled up and its off to the hills, five minutes later we begin the climb away from the burbs, jeez it's great to be alive and riding the best bike on the planet. The run out toward Kersbrook takes in some great 120 kph sweepers with some short straights that some people have been known to ride at up to 180 kph, shame on them...

On the run from Kersbrook to Williamstown you are lost in the tranquility of the Oz country side, whilst reminded of the presence of the mighty roo as you finesse through the sweepers past the Para Wirra lakes. The road is ours alone and we have only one car to pass as we leave Kersbrook.

Running out from Kersbrook to Mt Pleasant we are besieged by oncoming cyclists and are glad that they are not travelling in the same directions. Entering Springton as we swing left toward Mt Pleasant and morning tea Jacqui informs me that she has counted no less than 500 cyclists so far. (it turns out that there were 1000 of them riding from Glenelg some 45 klms south)

We continue to meet the two wheeled pedal brigade for the next 15 minutes into Mt Pleasant and as we arrive are pleasantly surprised to see about 40 or so motorcycles including a few FJRs. Apparently we had merged with a Ulysses club ride heading to Goolwa. After an Iced Coffee and a cake that contained way too many calories it was off over the hill to Walker Flat.

As we rode through the hills and the southerly wind coming from the right we are continually pushed off line and keeping a smooth line through the tight right handers is extremelly difficult. Once over the hill there is about 35 klms of almost straight road to Walker Flat and the River Murray, a good chance to stretch the legs of the Yamahauler.

At the Flat we stop for a break and a chance to take some photos (these can be seen under the Calendar thread) and then across the river on the ferry. Over the other side is a chance for another photo shoot from the river lookout. From here it is a lonely straightish stretch where I imagine that I could run the FJR up to about 235 klms indicated if I were so inclined, but that would be breaking the law and certainly something I wouldn't entertain.

Arrived at Swan Reach at about 12:00 pm, just before the lunchtime rush, seriously! we were a long way from the city but the hotel carpark was full including 4 Harleys, needless to say the riders did not seem very hospitable, go figure? Both Jacqui and I ordered the roast of the day, a very fine piece of beef washed down with a pint of the finest, the view was great, we were looking through the tops of some very large gums down towards the river as the Ferry toiled its way back and forth across the water.

In Mt Pleasant we had witnessed a group of 10 to 15 chuck chasers riding through and remarked at how much activity there appeared to be in this area today. Neeldles to say, said trailees were spied filling the ferry on the way across the river headed for our pub. Turns out one of the riders was my 2IC from days gone by when I used to work at GMH.

It was good catching up with him and finding out also that he had a road bike (Aprilllia I believe) so hopefully we will get together for a ride soon, small world eh...

Well after the SO had spent the obligatory fiver on the pokies it was time to start the trip back, we had covered 150 klms so far but the return would only be about 130 klms, an easy run on the Yamahauler. As I rounded the corner to where I had parked the bike a slight glimmer of nervous foolishness set in as I noticed the parking lights were glowing.

"Bollocks, this is not good" "Why what's up" "I left the flamin' parkers on by mistake... Ahhh don't worry we are on the top of a hill I will roll start it" Wrong, this bike has an electronic clutch and try as I might it was never going to happen. You see to push start a bike, simply gain some momentum, pull clutch in select a gear, usually 2nd, release clutch, engine spins in time with the tranny and then jumps into life.

Problem is the bike was in gear but to get a roll I had to shift to neutral - this is possible but once you get some momentum and shift into first the clutch engages automatically and no drive. You see the engine needs to be spinning to allow the clutch to disengage, but I need the clutch to disengage to spin the engine - a classic chicken and egg situation.

Anyway I end up at the bottom of the hill, outside the general store and opposite the Ferry ramp. Meanwhile Jacqui is at the top of the hill waiting for me to come roaring back into the hotel carpark to pick her up. After spending... correction waisting some time trying to think of a solution I remember that I did not arrive alone and set of back to the pub to collect very important lady, who I might add was very surprised to see me on foot. "No I did not get the bloody thing started!"

Chook chasers are now assembling outside the general store ready for there trip back to the city and SWMBO says "Why don't you get a jump from one of them guys" "Well dear they are riding Chookies and those that do have batteries will not have jumper leads because they also have kick starters and regardless of that they have clutches and can push start if required" "Oh!"

Just then I run off toward the Ferry, I have just spied salvation, "Do you have a set of jumper leads on board?" I inquired of the orifice. "I might have!" he quipped. "Could you please give me a jump start my bike battery is flat, when I come out of the pu...errr from having my meal I realised that the parkers were on and the bastard had died!"

Anyways said policeman came to the rescue and with jumper leads connected I hit the starter... nothing. "What the F...." "Looks like it's more than a battery!" he interjects. "Na its somefink I am doin' wrong" After a minute or two, the orifice turns the engine of the Tojo on and I realise that the side stand is down and I am in gear, placing it on to the centre standard and one stab of the button is enough to coax the engine into life.

Ahh all is good with the world, bike is running, many thanks to the nice policeman as I wave him on his way and turn to Jacqui......"Fook!!!, the helmets are in the panniers but the key is in the ignition, if I turn off the engine we are rooted...You walk on to the Ferry and I will work something out whilst we cross the river"

After 15 klms at 50 kph without helmets I am game enough to turn the engine off so as we can get into the panniers, the rest of the trip home was uneventfull apart from some really good sweepers that enabled me to almost remove the chicken strips on the tyres. All in all a great day out, isn't this what it's all about.

Cejay

"Do you have a set of jumper leads on board?" I inquired of the orifice. "I might have!"

Great story! If you come over to the US you may want to think again about calling a policeman an orifice, he might not like it. LOL

Oops, I realised that the pics were posted on another forum, here they are...

FJR0171.jpg

FJR0172.jpg

FJR0179.jpg

FJR0183.jpg

FJR0184.jpg

FJR0186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
......"Fook!!!, the helmets are in the panniers but the key is in the ignition, if I turn off the engine we are rooted...
BTDT!!! :lol: I now carry an extra key in my pocket. :eek: Great story, observed by someone who has shared a similar experience. You still saw the humor behind the entire experience. The REAL question....did Jacqui? I assume she's a good pillion and refers to these times as "adventures"! B)

You've just made everyone in North America jealous. "Our" AEs are Cerulean....the only color choice they have.

CJ - reminds me of back in '05 on the way to the MotoGP at Phillip Island. I stopped to have a chat to the constabulary and after settling the price for my ticket to the policemans ball, I couldn't start my bike as I had used the kill switch to switch off, left the ignition on, etc. Two of Victoria's finest were called on to 'serve' that day. Full story and pics is here: https://www.fjrowners.ws/discus/messages/2/...html?1130213265

......"Fook!!!, the helmets are in the panniers but the key is in the ignition, if I turn off the engine we are rooted...
BTDT!!! :lol: I now carry an extra key in my pocket. :eek: Great story, observed by someone who has shared a similar experience. You still saw the humor behind the entire experience. The REAL question....did Jacqui? I assume she's a good pillion and refers to these times as "adventures"! B)

You've just made everyone in North America jealous. "Our" AEs are Cerulean....the only color choice they have.

Actually Mike, whilst you were posting your reply, said cohort was reading this thread with great amusement, she does enjoy these "adventures" and reckons I should write a book, too busy having the time of my life at the moment tho...

SERVO---CHUCK CHASERS---

TRAILEES---

21C---

GMA---

POKIES---

PARKERS---

BOLLOCKS---

CHOOKIES---

For those of us up top.
I kind of guessed at chuck chasers and trailees. Parkers is pretty obvious, as was orifice since it was in context.

The rest are Greek foreign to me.

SERVO---CHUCK CHASERS---

TRAILEES---

21C---

GMA---

POKIES---

PARKERS---

BOLLOCKS---

CHOOKIES---

For those of us up top.
I kind of guessed at chuck chasers and trailees. Parkers is pretty obvious, as was orifice since it was in context.

Servo = Service Station (or Gas Station)

2IC = 2nd In Command

GMH = General Motors Holden (OZ subsidiary of General Motors)

Pokies = Poker Machines

Bollocks = Bulls Testicles (This term can be used in various contexts. It can be used as a friendly exclamation or to disagree with a statement)

By the way Cejay what were you drinking at the pub. Beer or some wine from some of the Mt Pleaseant wineries? The only Oz beers I have been able to find over here are Tooheys New and Coopers. Australian wines are widely available.

Cheers

LAroo

SERVO---CHUCK CHASERS---

TRAILEES---

21C---

GMA---

POKIES---

PARKERS---

BOLLOCKS---

CHOOKIES---

For those of us up top.

Servo = Service Station (or Gas Station)

2IC = 2nd In Command

GMH = General Motors Holden (OZ subsidiary of General Motors)

Pokies = Poker Machines

Bollocks = Bulls Testicles (This term can be used in various contexts. It can be used as a friendly exclamation or to disagree with a statement)

By the way Cejay what were you drinking at the pub. Beer or some wine from some of the Mt Pleaseant wineries? The only Oz beers I have been able to find over here are Tooheys New and Coopers. Australian wines are widely available.

Cheers

LAroo
Thanks for translation, was drinking Hahn Premium light, 2IC was on Blueberry Vodka Cruisers, travelled back through the Barossa Valley wine region on the return trip, Only like Tennessee wine from Uncle Jacks Distillery... Also a favourite is "Elijah Craig" a very smooth, small batch bourbon from Tennessee. One of my number one destinations when I get to do my USA trip...

A+ on the story...can't wait to hit the Oz hiways one day.

B- on the pictures...there was some hideous blue thing blocking the view in every one of them. :rofl:

"Thanks for translation, was drinking Hahn Premium light, 2IC was on Blueberry Vodka Cruisers, travelled back through the Barossa Valley wine region on the return trip, Only like Tennessee wine from Uncle Jacks Distillery... Also a favourite is "Elijah Craig" a very smooth, small batch bourbon from Tennessee. One of my number one destinations when I get to do my USA trip..."

When you do get to the USA, give us some notice and we'll be glad to show you around TN, NC, VA and some of the beautiful riding areas here! +1 on the story kudos!

Bob

Who says all cops are bad?
Not me, but I'd sure hate to be the off-duty one who rolled a stop sign here in Fresno last week and killed a pedestrian....

All caught on (home security) video, to boot.

That will further the "One bad apple..." thing pretty far....

I think most cops are great. I think the nature of their job forces them to meet many people in what could be called "Not the best of circumstances"

Even the one that gave me a ticket in my cage last week was nice..... (I had my CCW and my weapon) I told him "I have a permit and a loaded pistol in my car"

He said "Yer not gonna shoot me with it are ya"

I sed "Nope, thats against the law"

He laughed and sed "License and registreation please"

He was a nice guy just doing his job. I was indeed speeding

Nice story... I am jeleous.... I gotta go walk on the ice now to get in my truck!! Pffffffffffffffff

Here's my post from 01-26-2004 on another forum

Jacksonville Sherriff's office rocks

My bike had been in the garage too long so I decide to take it out last Friday. Hey, current temps were like 45 and were going to be about 53 after work. My bike gives off lots of heat so it's not really a big deal. As I gear up to go to work I realize I'm missing one of my gloves. (@(*$#^$ Oh well, I used to be in the army, I'm sort of tough. I can make to work without gloves and I'll go pick some up at lunch.

Once I hit the highway at 70 I'm thinking I'm not so tough. It's only that fast for about 10 miles and then it slows down for construction. 65 down to 35. Well then, when I see the speed limit lowers sign I just pull in the clutch and take my hand off the throttle to coast down to speed.

As I crest the hill at the small hill I see the speed trap. I am soooo not sweating it. I have my right hand by my engine trying to warm up. To my surprise the officer step out into the road and starts to flag me over.

"We've clocked you at 59 in a 45".

I explain to him how that's seems impossible I just came up the hill and I was only coasting attempting to warm my right hand from the engine heat.

"Where are you gloves?"

I explain how I lost one (the right one of course) and was going to by some at lunch.

He asks for my license and where I am going. I tell him I'm heading to work about another 15 miles or so.

He hands me back my license and says to be safe and slow down.

WHEW!

So I'm rubbing my hands together warming up to leave when I hear from behind "She doesn't have any gloves!".

I look in my mirror and see another officer approaching. I fully expected a lecture on how unsafe it is to ride cold or something like that. When he says "I have a pair with a hole in the thumb. They aren't much, but it's better than nothing. "

I sooooo could have kissed him at that point. But thinking my SO would not appriciate it I just say how great that would be and thank you so much.

And off I went.

When I relayed the story to my SO he starts complaining that he would have probably been thrown to the ground or something, and not only did I not get a ticket I got a present from the officer.

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that the guys in blue are out there not just to keep us at a safe speed, but also to lend a hand (or glove) when needed.

THANKS JSO

FJRChick

Latest posts